* nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-06 17:52 gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ
       [not found] ` <op.vaq49joctxpshh-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ @ 2010-04-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Hi,

I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
client.
Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.

Files are constantly getting out of sync.

Example :

boot ARM via nfs
edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
check edit is visible on server. OK

reboot ARM
check file : reverted to an earlier state.
check server: edited version still showing.

This is just one example of serious userablity issues. I have also seen a
revert 10s later reopening the same file on the ARM.

Is this possibly related to R4 + nfs ?

TIA.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found] ` <op.vaq49joctxpshh-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-07 17:34   ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2010-04-07 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ; +Cc: nfs

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 07:52:21PM +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
> client.
> Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.
>
> Files are constantly getting out of sync.
>
> Example :
>
> boot ARM via nfs
> edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
> check edit is visible on server. OK
>
> reboot ARM
> check file : reverted to an earlier state.
> check server: edited version still showing.

So, on a freshly booted NFS client, you're opening and reading a file
and seeing file data that isn't even on the NFS server any more?

That's beyond bizarre.  Do you have a reliable way to reproduce the
problem?

--b.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-07 18:44     ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2010-04-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On 04/07/2010 01:34 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 07:52:21PM +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
>> client.
>> Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.
>>
>> Files are constantly getting out of sync.
>>
>> Example :
>>
>> boot ARM via nfs
>> edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
>> check edit is visible on server. OK
>>
>> reboot ARM
>> check file : reverted to an earlier state.
>> check server: edited version still showing.
>
> So, on a freshly booted NFS client, you're opening and reading a file
> and seeing file data that isn't even on the NFS server any more?
>
> That's beyond bizarre.  Do you have a reliable way to reproduce the
> problem?

Could be XID replay.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-07 18:51       ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2010-04-07 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Lever; +Cc: nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:44:01PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 01:34 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 07:52:21PM +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
>>> I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
>>> client.
>>> Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.
>>>
>>> Files are constantly getting out of sync.
>>>
>>> Example :
>>>
>>> boot ARM via nfs
>>> edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
>>> check edit is visible on server. OK
>>>
>>> reboot ARM
>>> check file : reverted to an earlier state.
>>> check server: edited version still showing.
>>
>> So, on a freshly booted NFS client, you're opening and reading a file
>> and seeing file data that isn't even on the NFS server any more?
>>
>> That's beyond bizarre.  Do you have a reliable way to reproduce the
>> problem?
>
> Could be XID replay.

I'm not following you.  You're thinking of a read request after the
reboot that unluckily reuses an old XID and gets stale data from the
servers reply cache?  Or something else?

--b.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-07 18:59         ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2010-04-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On 04/07/2010 02:51 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:44:01PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:

>>> So, on a freshly booted NFS client, you're opening and reading a file
>>> and seeing file data that isn't even on the NFS server any more?
>>>
>>> That's beyond bizarre.  Do you have a reliable way to reproduce the
>>> problem?
>>
>> Could be XID replay.
>
> I'm not following you.  You're thinking of a read request after the
> reboot that unluckily reuses an old XID and gets stale data from the
> servers reply cache?  Or something else?

Nothing unlucky about it.  Just after a boot, if the client
implementation isn't careful about choosing an initial XID, (eg it
always starts with a psuedorandom number but uses the same seed every
time), it will hit the server's replay cache.

This can be quite reproducible for NFSROOT and a quiescent server.

--

@ 2010-04-07 19:20           ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2010-04-07 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Lever; +Cc: nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:59:36PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 02:51 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>>> Could be XID replay.
>>
>> I'm not following you.  You're thinking of a read request after the
>> reboot that unluckily reuses an old XID and gets stale data from the
>> servers reply cache?  Or something else?
>
> Nothing unlucky about it.  Just after a boot, if the client
> implementation isn't careful about choosing an initial XID, (eg it
> always starts with a psuedorandom number but uses the same seed every
> time), it will hit the server's replay cache.

Hm, OK.

> This can be quite reproducible for NFSROOT and a quiescent server.

The Linux server doesn't cache READ results as far as I can tell.

--b.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-07 19:24             ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2010-04-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On 04/07/2010 03:20 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:59:36PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:

>>> I'm not following you.  You're thinking of a read request after the
>>> reboot that unluckily reuses an old XID and gets stale data from the
>>> servers reply cache?  Or something else?
>>
>> Nothing unlucky about it.  Just after a boot, if the client
>> implementation isn't careful about choosing an initial XID, (eg it
>> always starts with a psuedorandom number but uses the same seed every
>> time), it will hit the server's replay cache.
>
> Hm, OK.
>
>> This can be quite reproducible for NFSROOT and a quiescent server.
>
> The Linux server doesn't cache READ results as far as I can tell.

OK.  Some servers do.

Sounds like a server side network trace is in order.

--

@ 2010-04-07 21:09             ` Trond Myklebust
       [not found]               ` <1270674567.3177.2.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2010-04-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: Chuck Lever, linux-nfs, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 15:20 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:59:36PM -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:

> >> I'm not following you.  You're thinking of a read request after the
> >> reboot that unluckily reuses an old XID and gets stale data from the
> >> servers reply cache?  Or something else?
> >
> > Nothing unlucky about it.  Just after a boot, if the client
> > implementation isn't careful about choosing an initial XID, (eg it
> > always starts with a psuedorandom number but uses the same seed every
> > time), it will hit the server's replay cache.
>
> Hm, OK.
>
> > This can be quite reproducible for NFSROOT and a quiescent server.
>
> The Linux server doesn't cache READ results as far as I can tell.
>
> --b.

Is he perhaps using the Debian unfsd or some other user space nfs
server?

Cheers
  Trond

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found]               ` <1270674567.3177.2.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-07 21:33                 ` gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ
       [not found]                   ` <4BBCFA28.2030101-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ @ 2010-04-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On 04/07/10 23:09, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 15:20 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>>> Nothing unlucky about it.  Just after a boot, if the client
>>> implementation isn't careful about choosing an initial XID, (eg it
>>> always starts with a psuedorandom number but uses the same seed every
>>> time), it will hit the server's replay cache.
>>
>> Hm, OK.
>>
>>> This can be quite reproducible for NFSROOT and a quiescent server.
>>
>> The Linux server doesn't cache READ results as far as I can tell.
>>
>> --b.
>
> Is he perhaps using the Debian unfsd or some other user space nfs
> server?
>
> Cheers
>    Trond

Hi,

thanks for all the activity.

Some more info on the machines in question.

server: gentoo linux 2.6.29 kernel patched for R4
.net-fs/nfs-utils-1.2.1  Recently added nfs4 to existing nfs3 in kernel.
This did not seem to improve/deteriorate the problem. This has been an
issue ever since I used nfs to remote boot the client.

Client. ARM SBC also running 2.6.29 nfs3. Similar issues seen when
running manufacturer's 2.4 kernel. Suggests problem is on server.

Redboot bootstrap loads kernel via http then boots with nfsroot supplied
by server.

All specific issues related here are as seen yesterday with both running
2.6.29.

The set up is damn near unusable as it is behaving now . Files are
constantly out of sync. Changes seem to stay or disappear in a more or
less arbitrary fashion (ie no percievable repeatable pattern or cause).
Files often get some kind of merge state which is neither the state on
the server , nor the last saved state on the client.

/dev/root on / type nfs
(rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,\proto=udp,timeo=\
11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

I note vers=2 here, does this maybe indicate some trouble with the
initial negotiation and fallback to nfs2 ?

I don't have one clear , reproducible problem because the results are so
erratic. But just editting a file with vi on the client and reopening it
will give incorrect results 8 time out of 10.

The reboot issue killed me. I thought is desperation that that would at
least mean I got a clean copy.

Thanks for your interest.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found] ` <op.vaq49joctxpshh-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-07 22:44   ` Bernd Schubert
From: Bernd Schubert @ 2010-04-07 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

On Tuesday 06 April 2010, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
> client.
> Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.
>
> Files are constantly getting out of sync.
>
> Example :
>
> boot ARM via nfs
> edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
> check edit is visible on server. OK
>
> reboot ARM
> check file : reverted to an earlier state.
> check server: edited version still showing.
>

> This is just one example of serious userablity issues. I have also seen a
> revert 10s later reopening the same file on the ARM.
>
> Is this possibly related to R4 + nfs ?

Reminds me about an old bug report I wrote and which nobody ever cared about:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.nfs/9867/match=

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found]                   ` <4BBCFA28.2030101-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-07 22:49                     ` Trond Myklebust
       [not found]                       ` <1270680542.6995.21.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2010-04-07 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 23:33 +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Some more info on the machines in question.
>
> server: gentoo linux 2.6.29 kernel patched for R4
> .net-fs/nfs-utils-1.2.1  Recently added nfs4 to existing nfs3 in kernel.
> This did not seem to improve/deteriorate the problem. This has been an
> issue ever since I used nfs to remote boot the client.
>
> Client. ARM SBC also running 2.6.29 nfs3. Similar issues seen when
> running manufacturer's 2.4 kernel. Suggests problem is on server.
>
> Redboot bootstrap loads kernel via http then boots with nfsroot supplied
> by server.
>
> All specific issues related here are as seen yesterday with both running
> 2.6.29.
>
> The set up is damn near unusable as it is behaving now . Files are
> constantly out of sync. Changes seem to stay or disappear in a more or
> less arbitrary fashion (ie no percievable repeatable pattern or cause).
> Files often get some kind of merge state which is neither the state on
> the server , nor the last saved state on the client.
>
> /dev/root on / type nfs
> (rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,\proto=udp,timeo=\
> 11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)
>
> I note vers=2 here, does this maybe indicate some trouble with the
> initial negotiation and fallback to nfs2 ?
>
> I don't have one clear , reproducible problem because the results are so
> erratic. But just editting a file with vi on the client and reopening it
> will give incorrect results 8 time out of 10.
>
> The reboot issue killed me. I thought is desperation that that would at
> least mean I got a clean copy.

OK, so clearly not a userspace NFS issue then.

Just out of interest, are you able to reproduce this problem with other
underlying filesystems? Reiser4 has never been merged into the mainline
kernel, so I doubt that any one of us has a test setup.

Cheers
  Trond

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found]                       ` <1270680542.6995.21.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-08 21:03                         ` gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ
       [not found]                           ` <4BBE448A.3050408-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ @ 2010-04-08 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On 04/08/10 00:49, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 23:33 +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> Some more info on the machines in question.
>>
>> server: gentoo linux 2.6.29 kernel patched for R4
>> .net-fs/nfs-utils-1.2.1  Recently added nfs4 to existing nfs3 in kernel.
>> This did not seem to improve/deteriorate the problem. This has been an
>> issue ever since I used nfs to remote boot the client.
>>
>> Client. ARM SBC also running 2.6.29 nfs3. Similar issues seen when
>> running manufacturer's 2.4 kernel. Suggests problem is on server.
>>
>> Redboot bootstrap loads kernel via http then boots with nfsroot supplied
>> by server.
>>
>> All specific issues related here are as seen yesterday with both running
>> 2.6.29.
>>
>> The set up is damn near unusable as it is behaving now . Files are
>> constantly out of sync. Changes seem to stay or disappear in a more or
>> less arbitrary fashion (ie no percievable repeatable pattern or cause).
>> Files often get some kind of merge state which is neither the state on
>> the server , nor the last saved state on the client.
>>
>> /dev/root on / type nfs
>> (rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,\proto=udp,timeo=\
>> 11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)
>>
>> I note vers=2 here, does this maybe indicate some trouble with the
>> initial negotiation and fallback to nfs2 ?
>>
>> I don't have one clear , reproducible problem because the results are so
>> erratic. But just editting a file with vi on the client and reopening it
>> will give incorrect results 8 time out of 10.
>>
>> The reboot issue killed me. I thought is desperation that that would at
>> least mean I got a clean copy.
>
> OK, so clearly not a userspace NFS issue then.
>
> Just out of interest, are you able to reproduce this problem with other
> underlying filesystems? Reiser4 has never been merged into the mainline
> kernel, so I doubt that any one of us has a test setup.
>
> Cheers
>    Trond

OK , I just tried this on ext3 partition and I'm not seeing the erratic
behaviour.  So this may be down to a bad reaction between nfs and R4 as
I suspected.

However, I am still seeing vers=2 , does this indicate some problem in
initial negociation and a drop back to nfs2 ?

/dev/root on / type nfs
(rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

regards,

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found]                           ` <4BBE448A.3050408-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-08 21:33                             ` Trond Myklebust
       [not found]                               ` <1270762431.7276.28.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2010-04-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 23:03 +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> OK , I just tried this on ext3 partition and I'm not seeing the erratic
> behaviour.  So this may be down to a bad reaction between nfs and R4 as
> I suspected.
>
> However, I am still seeing vers=2 , does this indicate some problem in
> initial negociation and a drop back to nfs2 ?
>
> /dev/root on / type nfs
> (rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

I believe that nfsroot always defaults to vers=2 and udp unless you
explicitly set the 'nfsvers=3' and 'proto=tcp' mount options.

It also defaults to 4k rsize and wsize (set 'rsize=0,wsize=0' if you
want the client to autonegotiate their values)...

Cheers
  Trond

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-09 12:09                                 ` gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ
       [not found]                                   ` <4BBF18E5.5080306-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ @ 2010-04-09 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On 04/08/10 23:33, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 23:03 +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> OK , I just tried this on ext3 partition and I'm not seeing the erratic
>> behaviour.  So this may be down to a bad reaction between nfs and R4 as
>> I suspected.
>>
>> However, I am still seeing vers=2 , does this indicate some problem in
>> initial negociation and a drop back to nfs2 ?
>>
>> /dev/root on / type nfs
>> (rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)
>
> I believe that nfsroot always defaults to vers=2 and udp unless you
> explicitly set the 'nfsvers=3' and 'proto=tcp' mount options.
>
> It also defaults to 4k rsize and wsize (set 'rsize=0,wsize=0' if you
> want the client to autonegotiate their values)...
>
> Cheers
>    Trond

Thanks,

I was refering to man nfs which states that nfs will always try nfs3 and
if it fails falls back to ver 2. Maybe man nfs is not the definitive
reference for what is in the kernel if this has changed recently.

I've pretty much concluded the main issues very nfs not playing well
with reiser4. The doc suggests this is a gray area and indeed it seems
to be pretty much untested since this kind of grossly bad behavious
would not be missed.

I had some anomalies  circa 2.6.20 that were less severe but the current
state of play is frankly pretty unusable.

Since there seems to be an implied policy of not testing with any fs not
in mainline kernel I'll just have to copy the nfs structure to an ext3
partition.

Thanks for you comments and help.

regards.

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
       [not found]                                   ` <4BBF18E5.5080306-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-04-09 12:30                                     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2010-04-09 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, Chuck Lever, linux-nfs

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 14:09 +0200, gg-B3jsHfKwJfLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> I was refering to man nfs which states that nfs will always try nfs3 and
> if it fails falls back to ver 2. Maybe man nfs is not the definitive
> reference for what is in the kernel if this has changed recently.

The above is true for the ordinary 'mount' program, but is not true of
nfsroot.

The fallback policy for mount is now managed entirely in userspace, and
in recent versions of nfs-utils, you can configure whether you want
nfsv4, nfsv3 or nfsv2 to be the default.

Cheers
  Trond

* Re: nfs + Reiser4
@ 2010-04-12 19:44     ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2010-04-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Schubert; +Cc: nfs

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:44:38AM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2010, gg@catking.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having serious headaches using nfs between a reiser4 server and arm
> > client.
> > Both on 2.6.29 vintage kernels.
> >
> > Files are constantly getting out of sync.
> >
> > Example :
> >
> > boot ARM via nfs
> > edit lighttpd.conf on ARM
> > check edit is visible on server. OK
> >
> > reboot ARM
> > check file : reverted to an earlier state.
> > check server: edited version still showing.
> >

> > This is just one example of serious userablity issues. I have also seen a
> > revert 10s later reopening the same file on the ARM.
> >
> > Is this possibly related to R4 + nfs ?
>
> Reminds me about an old bug report I wrote and which nobody ever cared about:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.nfs/9867/match=

On a possibly-too-quick skim, I think this could be explained by just
stale cache data, possibly the result of poor ext3 time resolution.
(Still a bug of some kind, but not as bizarre as the bug reported here.)

--b.