* [linux-lvm] volume developing problems even though should be static...
@ 2010-04-21  5:45 Linda A. Walsh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Linda A. Walsh @ 2010-04-21  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

I needed extra space on my home partition, and speed, so I disabled my
 snapshoting cron job and deleted any logical jobs for now.

But during this transition time, I've started getting some were symptoms.
Now when I do a "pvs", I see:

# pvs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sdb1  Home lvm2 a-   888.48G      0
  /dev/sdb2  Home lvm2 a-   888.48G 640.96G
  /dev/sdb3  Home lvm2 a-   584.87G 584.87G
# vgs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree
  Home   3   7   6 wz--n- 2.31T 1.20T
# lvs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  lvol0               Home -wi-ao  1.00T

So, the "output of the commands looks mostly 'right', as near as I can tell: 3 physical volumes,
-> 1 volume group with the 3 volumes, and
1 logical volume taking up space in that pv (only using part of the space).

What I don't get and what worries me a fair amount are the I/O errors --
any idea what's going on and how I shoudl fix this?

Thanks much!
linda

* Re: [linux-lvm] volume developing problems even though should be static...
@ 2010-04-21 14:21 ` Ray Morris
From: Ray Morris @ 2010-04-21 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

> so I disabled my  snapshoting cron job and deleted any
> logical jobs for now

dm-1 may be a volume (snapshot?) you deleted.  Check with:
cat /sys/block/dm-1/dm/name

    Why it's trying to read something that has been deleted
I don't know, but I know I get the same problem.
--
Ray Morris
support@bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

@ 2010-04-21 21:02 ` Stuart D. Gathman
From: Stuart D. Gathman @ 2010-04-21 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

> What I don't get and what worries me a fair amount are the I/O errors --
> any idea what's going on and how I shoudl fix this?

Looks dm-1 is a snapshot that is full.  Did you edit lvs output?
Perhaps the snapshot was removed, but something still has it open.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

* Re: [linux-lvm] volume developing problems even though should be static...
@ 2010-04-22  6:18 ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 2010-04-22  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:45:48PM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
>I needed extra space on my home partition, and speed, so I disabled my
> snapshoting cron job and deleted any logical jobs for now.
>
>But during this transition time, I've started getting some were symptoms.
>Now when I do a "pvs", I see:
>
># pvs
>  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
please provide "dmsetup ls" and "dmsetup status" so we might know what
/dev/dm-1 is.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it