* [Buildroot] Issue with Asus Tinkerboard Buildroot OS build
       [not found] <1272084788.2015886.1590685356172.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2020-05-28 17:02 ` fld2865 at gmail.com
From: fld2865 at gmail.com @ 2020-05-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Busybox.net,I'm attempting the development of a custom Linux distribution for the Asus Tinkerboard,using Buildroot 2020.02.2.I successfully obtained a booting OS image, which does communicate via serial and SSH,but doesn't output ANYTHING on the HDMI video output.I added all the packages I know of, including X11 stack and OpenGLES libs, but I'm not sureabout which video driver to use. I tried with xf86-video-fbdev and xf86-video-vesa, but withoutsuccess.
The net result is that when I try to load the Xserver through startx, I get the following result:
/home# startx
xauth:? file //.serverauth.255 does not exist
xauth:? file //.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.20.8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 5.4.0-31-generic x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux Tinker 5.0.0 #1 SMP Thu May 28 16:06:04 CEST 2020 armv7l
Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait
Build Date: 28 May 2020? 03:26:17PM

Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
??????? Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
??????? to make sure that you have the latest version.
??????? (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
??????? (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan? 1 01:10:01 1970
(==) Using default built-in configuration (21 lines)
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
???????? at http://wiki.x.org
?for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log basically says that there's no /dev/fb pseudo file, which is true, so I thinkI'm using the wrong video driver.Any hint about how could I address this issue?
Thanks & best regards,
Francesco LANDE
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Issue with Asus Tinkerboard Buildroot OS build
@ 2020-05-28 18:52   ` Peter Seiderer
       [not found]     ` <1644632225.187471.1590836736105@mail.yahoo.com>
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2020-05-28 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Francesco,

On Thu, 28 May 2020 17:02:36 +0000 (UTC), "fld2865 at gmail.com" <fld2865@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Busybox.net,I'm attempting the development of a custom Linux distribution for the Asus Tinkerboard,using Buildroot 2020.02.2.I successfully obtained a booting OS image, which does communicate via serial and SSH,but doesn't output ANYTHING on the HDMI video output.I added all the packages I know of, including X11 stack and OpenGLES libs, but I'm not sureabout which video driver to use. I tried with xf86-video-fbdev and xf86-video-vesa, but withoutsuccess.
> The net result is that when I try to load the Xserver through startx, I get the following result:
> /home# startx
> xauth:? file //.serverauth.255 does not exist
> xauth:? file //.Xauthority does not exist
>

> X.Org X Server 1.20.8
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 5.4.0-31-generic x86_64
> Current Operating System: Linux Tinker 5.0.0 #1 SMP Thu May 28 16:06:04 CEST 2020 armv7l
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait
> Build Date: 28 May 2020? 03:26:17PM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
> ??????? Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> ??????? to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> ??????? (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> ??????? (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan? 1 01:10:01 1970
> (==) Using default built-in configuration (21 lines)
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) no screens found(EE)
> (EE)
> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
> ???????? at http://wiki.x.org
> ?for help.
> (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
> (EE)
> (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
>

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log basically says that there's no /dev/fb pseudo file, which is true, so I thinkI'm using the wrong video driver.Any hint about how could I address this issue?

Most probably no graphic enabled in the kernel config, tinkerboard uses an Mali-T760 GPU ([1]),
there is a official mixed open/closed source graphic stack available I think, or the complete
open source graphic stack 'panfrost' ([2]), see  [3] for a starting point...

Regards,
Peter

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Tinker_Board
[2] https://panfrost.freedesktop.org/
[3] https://panfrost.freedesktop.org/building-panfrost-mesa.html

@ 2020-06-01 19:12       ` Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2020-06-01 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Francesco,

re-added CC: buildroot at busybox.net

On Sat, 30 May 2020 11:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "fld2865 at gmail.com" <fld2865@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Peter,thanks for your prompt reply, first of all.I did try to follow your suggestions, but without luck, unfortunately.More specifically:1. I upgraded the kernel to v. 5.4.40:
> ~# uname -a
> Linux Tinker 5.4.40 #1 SMP Sat May 30 11:28:51 CEST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
> 2. I verified that in this kernel the CONFIG_DRM_PANFROST option was selected;3. I added both the KMSRO and Panfrost drivers and clean rebuilt all;
> 4. The OS builddoes boot, but again NO "/dev/fb0" device, and xinit does not start!!!
> Really out of mind.
> If you would like to check my "dmesg", "Xorg.0.log" and "*_defconfig" files for your reference.

Sorry, no more help from my side possible (because I own no Tinkerboard and no deeper
knowledge on the Tinkerboard graphic stack behind the quick google survey with
the results below)...

Regards,
Peter

@ 2020-06-02  7:54         ` fld2865 at gmail.com
From: fld2865 at gmail.com @ 2020-06-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Hi Peter,thanks anyway for you reply.Moerover, I'm not familiar at all how to interact with the community, so thanks also for pointing me tobuildroot at busybox.net.
I have the feeling that the community is useful only if you already know how to interact with it, and Icould find nowhere describing how to start as a newbie in this area.
Best regards,
Francesco LANDE

 Hello Francesco,

re-added CC: buildroot at busybox.net

@ 2020-06-02  7:57           ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-06-02  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM fld2865 at gmail.com <fld2865@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> thanks anyway for you reply.
> Moerover, I'm not familiar at all how to interact with the community, so thanks also for pointing me to
> buildroot at busybox.net.
>
> I have the feeling that the community is useful only if you already know how to interact with it, and I
> could find nowhere describing how to start as a newbie in this area.

Right now I have a tinker board. Please share your defconfig

Michael

> [...]
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > (EE) no screens found(EE)
> > > (EE)
> > > Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
> > >          at http://wiki.x.org
> > >  for help.
> > > (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
> > > (EE)
> > > (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
> > >

> > > /var/log/Xorg.0.log basically says that there's no /dev/fb pseudo file, which is true, so I thinkI'm using the wrong video driver.Any hint about how could I address this issue?
> >
> > Most probably no graphic enabled in the kernel config, tinkerboard uses an Mali-T760 GPU ([1]),
> > there is a official mixed open/closed source graphic stack available I think, or the complete
> > open source graphic stack 'panfrost' ([2]), see  [3] for a starting point...

| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |
| +31(0)851119172                                 Amsterdam 1018 AM NL |
|                  [`as] http://www.amarulasolutions.com               |