* perf top broken on ppc64
@ 2010-04-20 23:21 ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-20 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mackerras
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, ppc-dev

Hi,

While trying to find out performance bottlenecks in KVM for PowerPC I figured I'd try and use "perf top" to see what's going on in the system. This works great on my G4, but doesn't on the Powerstation (970MP).

The only weird thing I can imagine about this setup is that I'm running 32 bit userland on a 64 bit kernel. So I went ahead and compiled perf for ppc64 - without any change:

# file `which perf`
/root/bin/perf: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.4, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Whenever I call 'perf top' I get the following output:

   PerfTop:   57159 irqs/sec  kernel:100.0% [1000Hz cycles],  (all, 4 CPUs)

             samples  pcnt  DSO
             _______ _____

Where there would usually be functions being listed I don't get anything.
The interesting part is that 'perf record -g' and 'perf report -g' work just fine. I get reasonable output. I also had 'perf top' with the exact same binaries working by accident too once. But then I rebooted and not it's all moot again.

So the question is: why doesn't the top function work for me?

Thanks,

Alex

From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-20 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mackerras
  Cc: Peter Zijlstra, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Ingo Molnar, ppc-dev,
	LKML Mailing List

=
--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------------

             _______ _____ =20

Where there would usually be functions being listed I don't get =
anything.
The interesting part is that 'perf record -g' and 'perf report -g' work =
just fine. I get reasonable output. I also had 'perf top' with the exact =
same binaries working by accident too once. But then I rebooted and not =
it's all moot again.

So the question is: why doesn't the top function work for me?

Thanks,

Alex

* Re: perf top broken on ppc64
@ 2010-04-21  5:29   ` Ian Munsie
From: Ian Munsie @ 2010-04-21  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf
  Cc: Paul Mackerras, Peter Zijlstra, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Ingo Molnar, ppc-dev, LKML Mailing List

Excerpts from Alexander Graf's message of Wed Apr 21 09:21:36 +1000 2010:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to find out performance bottlenecks in KVM for PowerPC I
> figured I'd try and use "perf top" to see what's going on in the
> system. This works great on my G4, but doesn't on the Powerstation
> (970MP).
>
> The only weird thing I can imagine about this setup is that I'm
> running 32 bit userland on a 64 bit kernel. So I went ahead and
> compiled perf for ppc64 - without any change:

I'm using 32 bit userland and 64 bit kernel on a PowerPC box and it's working for me.
Are you building perf from the tip tree?

Cheers,
-Ian

* Re: perf top broken on ppc64
@ 2010-04-21  5:29   ` Ian Munsie
From: Ian Munsie @ 2010-04-21  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf
	Paul Mackerras, Ingo Molnar, ppc-dev

@ 2010-04-21  9:29     ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Munsie
  Cc: Paul Mackerras, Peter Zijlstra, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,

On 21.04.2010, at 07:29, Ian Munsie wrote:

> Excerpts from Alexander Graf's message of Wed Apr 21 09:21:36 +1000 2010:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While trying to find out performance bottlenecks in KVM for PowerPC I
>> figured I'd try and use "perf top" to see what's going on in the
>> system. This works great on my G4, but doesn't on the Powerstation
>> (970MP).
>>
>> The only weird thing I can imagine about this setup is that I'm
>> running 32 bit userland on a 64 bit kernel. So I went ahead and
>> compiled perf for ppc64 - without any change:
>
> I'm using 32 bit userland and 64 bit kernel on a PowerPC box and it's working for me.
> Are you building perf from the tip tree?

I'm using kvm.git which is pretty close to tip. The version says something 2.6.34-rc3'ish. Has anything significantly changed since then?

Either way - I'll give it a try.

From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Munsie

@ 2010-04-27  1:30       ` Ian Munsie
From: Ian Munsie @ 2010-04-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf
  Cc: Paul Mackerras, Peter Zijlstra, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Ingo Molnar, ppc-dev, LKML Mailing List

> > I'm using 32 bit userland and 64 bit kernel on a PowerPC box and it's working for me.
> > Are you building perf from the tip tree?
>
> I'm using kvm.git which is pretty close to tip. The version says something 2.6.34-rc3'ish. Has anything significantly changed since then?
>
> Either way - I'll give it a try.

Hey Alex,

Did perf from the tip tree work for you?

Cheers,
-Ian

* Re: perf top broken on ppc64
@ 2010-04-27  1:30       ` Ian Munsie
From: Ian Munsie @ 2010-04-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf

@ 2010-04-27  7:39         ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-27  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Munsie
  Cc: Paul Mackerras, Peter Zijlstra, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,

Am 27.04.2010 um 02:30 schrieb Ian Munsie <imunsie@au1.ibm.com>:

>>> I'm using 32 bit userland and 64 bit kernel on a PowerPC box and
>>> it's working for me.
>>> Are you building perf from the tip tree?
>>
>> I'm using kvm.git which is pretty close to tip. The version says
>> something 2.6.34-rc3'ish. Has anything significantly changed since
>> then?
>>
>> Either way - I'll give it a try.
>

> Hey Alex,
>
> Did perf from the tip tree work for you?

Howdy,

Sorry - I left for vacation without replying :).

I tried perf from tip with kvm.git kernel and that did show the same
effects. I didn't get around to also try to run the tip kernel, and
won't be within this week :o

Greetings from Gran Canaria,

From: Alexander Graf @ 2010-04-27  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Munsie