* Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01  8:06 Yankovsky
From: Yankovsky @ 2010-08-01  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi!
I have commited all my changes, and accidently typed git pull, then was
paniced and aborted the operation. now all my changes in project disappear.
but i have commit. how can i restore my project status using this commit?
I hope you understand my rus english)
Thanks.

* Re: Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01  8:30 ` Ramkumar Ramachandra
From: Ramkumar Ramachandra @ 2010-08-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yankovsky; +Cc: git

Hi Yankovsky,

Yankovsky writes:
> I have commited all my changes, and accidently typed git pull, then was
> paniced and aborted the operation. now all my changes in project disappear.
> but i have commit. how can i restore my project status using this commit?
> I hope you understand my rus english)

I don't understand exactly what you want to do, but here are the
basics- you can decide what you want to do.
1. Use `git reflog` to see a history of your operations.
2. If you want your working copy to switch to an existing commit, use
   `git checkout <SHA1 of commit>`.
3. If you want to irreversibly destroy everything and switch your
   working copy to a desired commit, use `git reset --hard <SHA1 of
   commit>`. Use with care!

Hope that helps.

-- Ram

* Re: Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01  9:14   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-08-01  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@gmail.com> writes:
> I don't understand exactly what you want to do, but here are the
> basics- you can decide what you want to do.
> 1. Use `git reflog` to see a history of your operations.
> 2. If you want your working copy to switch to an existing commit, use
>    `git checkout <SHA1 of commit>`.
> 3. If you want to irreversibly destroy everything and switch your
>    working copy to a desired commit, use `git reset --hard <SHA1 of
>    commit>`. Use with care!

... and:  0. In "emergency recovery situations", _back up your whole
source dir (including .git subdir) somewhere else before screwing
around_!

E.g., "cp -a my_src_dir /somewhere_else/my_src_dir_backup"

-Miles

--
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

* Re: Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01  9:32     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-08-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: git

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@gmail.com> writes:
>> I don't understand exactly what you want to do, but here are the
>> basics- you can decide what you want to do.
>> 1. Use `git reflog` to see a history of your operations.
>> 2. If you want your working copy to switch to an existing commit, use
>>    `git checkout <SHA1 of commit>`.
>> 3. If you want to irreversibly destroy everything and switch your
>>    working copy to a desired commit, use `git reset --hard <SHA1 of
>>    commit>`. Use with care!
>
> ... and:  0. In "emergency recovery situations", _back up your whole
> source dir (including .git subdir) somewhere else before screwing
> around_!

IMHO the very first step should be to run "git status" and see what it
says.  With that information it would be much easier to recommend
further steps.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01 10:02   ` Yankovsky
From: Yankovsky @ 2010-08-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Ramkumar, thank you!
it works!
Awesome)

* Re: Newbie in Git. How to get back from last pull?
@ 2010-08-01 10:11     ` Yankovsky
From: Yankovsky @ 2010-08-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

yes, i did this)
Guys, thanks a lot!
really, i didn't expect help this quick!