* No wildcard expansion with redirected filenames
@ 2010-08-07 19:34 Alkis Georgopoulos
From: Alkis Georgopoulos @ 2010-08-07 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dash

Isn't this supposed to work?

$ touch file1
$ echo 1 > file?
$ ls file?
file?  file1

I.e. dash actually created a file named 'file?' instead of globbing.

Please CC me if possible, I'm not on the list.

Kind regards,
Alkis Georgopoulos

* Re: No wildcard expansion with redirected filenames
@ 2010-08-08 12:15 ` Jilles Tjoelker
From: Jilles Tjoelker @ 2010-08-08 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alkis Georgopoulos; +Cc: dash

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 10:34:21PM +0300, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
> Isn't this supposed to work?

> $ touch file1
> $ echo 1 > file?
> $ ls file?
> file?  file1

> I.e. dash actually created a file named 'file?' instead of globbing.

No, this is not supposed to work. POSIX says that a non-interactive
shell must not generate pathnames for a redirection; an interactive
shell may do so, provided there is exactly one match.

Dash is primarily meant as a non-interactive shell and wants to be as
small as possible, and therefore never generates pathnames for a
redirection.

--
Jilles Tjoelker