* VLAN ebtables target
@ 2010-09-09 10:02 Michele Jr De Candia
From: Michele Jr De Candia @ 2010-09-09 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi all,
I read on ebtable-devel mailing list that somebody has tried to do a new
target module to add or remove the VLAN tag with ebtables.

There were some patches or references about previous developments?

Thanks in advance,
Michele

* Re: VLAN ebtables target
@ 2010-09-10  2:33 ` Changli Gao
From: Changli Gao @ 2010-09-10  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michele.de_candia; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
<michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I read on ebtable-devel mailing list that somebody has tried to do a new
> target module to add or remove the VLAN tag with ebtables.
>
> There were some patches or references about previous developments?

What is the requirement which needs this VLAN target? Most of
requirement can be satisfied  with ebtables and vlan network devices.

Changli Gao(xiaosuo@gmail.com)

* Re: VLAN ebtables target
@ 2010-09-10  9:41   ` Michele Jr De Candia
From: Michele Jr De Candia @ 2010-09-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Changli Gao; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 04:33 +0200, Changli Gao wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
> <michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I read on ebtable-devel mailing list that somebody has tried to do a new
> > target module to add or remove the VLAN tag with ebtables.
> >
> > There were some patches or references about previous developments?
> >

> What is the requirement which needs this VLAN target? Most of
> requirement can be satisfied  with ebtables and vlan network devices.

Supposing that the requirement is to get a VLAN tagged L2 frame coming
from an interface and routing it untagged to another interface, how
would you do that?

* Re: VLAN ebtables target
@ 2010-09-10 11:21     ` Changli Gao
From: Changli Gao @ 2010-09-10 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michele.de_candia; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
<michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 04:33 +0200, Changli Gao wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
>> <michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I read on ebtable-devel mailing list that somebody has tried to do a new
>> > target module to add or remove the VLAN tag with ebtables.
>> >
>> > There were some patches or references about previous developments?
>> >

>> What is the requirement which needs this VLAN target? Most of
>> requirement can be satisfied  with ebtables and vlan network devices.
>
> Supposing that the requirement is to get a VLAN tagged L2 frame coming
> from an interface and routing it untagged to another interface, how
> would you do that?

Supposing the VLAN tagged L2 frame conming from eth0, the VLAN ID is
2, and the other interface is eth1.

vconfig add eth0 2
vconfig set_flag eth0.2 1
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0.2
brctl addif br0 eth1

@ 2010-09-10 11:30       ` Michele Jr De Candia
From: Michele Jr De Candia @ 2010-09-10 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Changli Gao; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 13:21 +0200, Changli Gao wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
> <michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 04:33 +0200, Changli Gao wrote:

> >> What is the requirement which needs this VLAN target? Most of
> >> requirement can be satisfied  with ebtables and vlan network devices.
> >
> > Supposing that the requirement is to get a VLAN tagged L2 frame coming
> > from an interface and routing it untagged to another interface, how
> > would you do that?
> >

> Supposing the VLAN tagged L2 frame conming from eth0, the VLAN ID is
> 2, and the other interface is eth1.
>
> vconfig add eth0 2
> vconfig set_flag eth0.2 1
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0.2
> brctl addif br0 eth1

Thank you but I think this untags all the frames coming to eth0.2.

If I want to untag some frames according to some rule (e.g. src or dst
mac address) this can't be the way, right?

* Re: VLAN ebtables target
@ 2010-09-10 11:38         ` Changli Gao
From: Changli Gao @ 2010-09-10 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michele.de_candia; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
<michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 13:21 +0200, Changli Gao wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Michele Jr De Candia
>> <michele.de_candia@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

>> > Supposing that the requirement is to get a VLAN tagged L2 frame coming
>> > from an interface and routing it untagged to another interface, how
>> > would you do that?
>> >

>> Supposing the VLAN tagged L2 frame conming from eth0, the VLAN ID is
>> 2, and the other interface is eth1.
>>
>> vconfig add eth0 2
>> vconfig set_flag eth0.2 1
>> brctl addbr br0
>> brctl addif br0 eth0.2
>> brctl addif br0 eth1
>>

> Thank you but I think this untags all the frames coming to eth0.2.
>
> If I want to untag some frames according to some rule (e.g. src or dst
> mac address) this can't be the way, right?

You need to:

brctl addif br0 eth0

And do some ebtables settings in the broute chain to route the vlan
frames instead.

Changli Gao(xiaosuo@gmail.com)