* Can not boot the Kernel(Xen4.0.1+Fedora13), Please help me
@ 2010-10-07 14:56 Xinwei Niu
From: Xinwei Niu @ 2010-10-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Dear All:

I am a newbie for Xen, and now I want to install Xen on my Fedora 13
machine. I follow Mr.Pasi Kärkkäinen's tutorial, which is "Fedora 13 Xen 4
Tutorial", but I can not boot with the new kernel.

I can not verify the Xen step after reboot, the process of making the kernel
has no error, when I reboot and choose the new kernel, the system hang on
"Starting xend daemon" for ever, so the new kernel could not be booted.

The information on screen are "/usr/sbin/ksmtuned: line 64:
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_to_scan: No such file or directory"
                                                   "/usr/sbin/ksmtuned: line
65: /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs: No such file or directory"
                                                   "/usr/sbin/ksmtuned: line
66: /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run: No such file or directory"
and these three lines seems loop forever.

Before this information the "Starting ksm:"  Failed.

Information are "/etc/rc5.d/s84ksm: line 44
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/max_kernel_pages: No such file or directory"
                          "/etc/rc5.d/s84ksm: line 45
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run: No such file or directory"

My computer is Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, and I use Fedora 13 (x86_64)
linux.

I tried my best to follow the tutorial exactly, So far the differences are:
1) I install the fedora using GUI, and then use root in console to operate
the computer.
2) The linux pvops dom0 kernel version I downloaded is 2.6.32.24.
3) when I execute the "make oldconfig" a new option is "watchdog timer
support", I select NO.
4) I execute "depmod -a 2.6.32.24" and do the following steps by changing
2.6.32.21 to 2.6.32.24, and "dracut" give me no warning.

I check the folder of the error, only /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/max_kernel_pages
not found, others are there.

I am not familiar with Linux kernel, so please help me, or should I try
another Linux? I have stopped here for too long, I want to make it work.

Thank you very much

Allen

* Re: Can not boot the Kernel(Xen4.0.1+Fedora13), Please help me
@ 2010-10-28 19:32 ` sridevi.j14
From: sridevi.j14 @ 2010-10-28 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hey Allen ..

I am facing a similar prob tooo ..
Incase u have a solution for it ...kindly plzz do letmme know !!
thanks in advance ..

-Sridevi

* Re: Can not boot the Kernel(Xen4.0.1+Fedora13), Please help me
@ 2010-11-05 15:16   ` xorxy
From: xorxy @ 2010-11-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Dear Allen,Sridevi

the cited bug is due to the fact that ksmtuned is not compatible with Xen
currently, which is why you simply should turn it off. Do this via
"chkconfig ksmtuned off" and reboot. This error should be gone then.

Cheers

xorxy