* Newbie:  Restore messed up code from local or remote repository
@ 2010-11-12  8:22 gzoller
From: gzoller @ 2010-11-12  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello -- Extreme Git Newbie

I have a project that is checked into a local git repository as well as
pushed to a remote repository.

Through misadventure I've managed to screw up my working code and want to
restore what I had from my last commit on either the local or remote
repositories.

So I blew away my messed up working files and tried:

git checkout
git pull -f /path/to/remote/repos
git fetch -f /path/to/remote/repos

None of the above did the trick.  The two remote commands reported that
everything was Already up-to-date! (even though I'd deleted a lot of local
working files)

What am I missing?  How can I restore my previous state from last commit?

Thanks!
Greg