* [Buildroot] making buildroot for arm7tdmi static flat fails
@ 2010-11-14  5:28 Dan Engel
From: Dan Engel @ 2010-11-14  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello, all.

I'm trying to make buildroot for the arm7tdmi (toolchain only, no
busybox, kernel, etc.) on a basic x86 system, and I get this after a
while of building:

  LN include/sys/prctl.h
  LN include/sys/ptrace.h
  LN include/sys/timerfd.h
  LN include/sys/elf.h
  LN include/sys/io.h
  LN include/sys/procfs.h
  LN include/sys/ucontext.h
  LN include/sys/user.h
  AS lib/crt1.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `lib/crti.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/local/arm_toolchain/build/buildroot-2010.08/output/toolchain/uClibc-0.9.31'
make: ***
[/mnt/local/arm_toolchain/build/buildroot-2010.08/output/toolchain/uClibc-0.9.31/.configured] Error 2

Has anyone seen this, or know what might be going on?

Of course, this is only the last part of the output. If this is not a
known issue with a known work-around, then I'll gladly send a follow-up
post with the entire make output (along with the buildroot and uclibc
configurations) attached.

What additional information can I provide, that would help anyone
willing to help me?

Thanks,
-Dan Engel

* [Buildroot] making buildroot for arm7tdmi static flat fails
@ 2010-11-14 13:05 ` Dan Engel
From: Dan Engel @ 2010-11-14 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 00:28 -0500, Dan Engel wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I'm trying to make buildroot for the arm7tdmi (toolchain only, no
> busybox, kernel, etc.) on a basic x86 system, and I get this after a
> while of building:
>
>   LN include/sys/prctl.h
>   LN include/sys/ptrace.h
>   LN include/sys/timerfd.h
>   LN include/sys/elf.h
>   LN include/sys/io.h
>   LN include/sys/procfs.h
>   LN include/sys/ucontext.h
>   LN include/sys/user.h
>   AS lib/crt1.o
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `lib/crti.o'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory

`/mnt/local/arm_toolchain/build/buildroot-2010.08/output/toolchain/uClibc-0.9.31'
> make: ***

[/mnt/local/arm_toolchain/build/buildroot-2010.08/output/toolchain/uClibc-0.9.31/.configured] Error 2

I have a follow-up:

In the configuration that led to the above error, I had disabled global
constructors and destructors in the uclibc configuration ("make
uclibc-menuconfig").

If I first try to build with global constructors and destructors
enabled, it eventually gives an error (I think during gcc construction)
about missing __fini_array and __init_array stuff. If I then change the
configuration (using "make uclibc-menuconfig") to disable the global
ctors and dtors and type "make" again, it builds to completion.
Something in that two-step process gets me past the above error about
lib/crti.o.

However, when I try to compile and link a simple flat "hello," the
following happens:

dan at cecilia ~/tmp $ arm-linux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt hello.c
/mnt/local/armtc/usr/lib/gcc/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/4.3.5/../../../../arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/ld.real: error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.ARM.extab'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
dan at cecilia ~/tmp $

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks,
-Dan

* [Buildroot] making buildroot for arm7tdmi static flat fails
@ 2010-11-15 16:55   ` Gustavo Zacarias
From: Gustavo Zacarias @ 2010-11-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 11/14/10 10:05, Dan Engel wrote:

> I have a follow-up:
>
> In the configuration that led to the above error, I had disabled global
> constructors and destructors in the uclibc configuration ("make
> uclibc-menuconfig").
>
> If I first try to build with global constructors and destructors
> enabled, it eventually gives an error (I think during gcc construction)
> about missing __fini_array and __init_array stuff. If I then change the
> configuration (using "make uclibc-menuconfig") to disable the global
> ctors and dtors and type "make" again, it builds to completion.
> Something in that two-step process gets me past the above error about
> lib/crti.o.
>
> However, when I try to compile and link a simple flat "hello," the
> following happens:
>
> dan at cecilia ~/tmp $ arm-linux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt hello.c
> /mnt/local/armtc/usr/lib/gcc/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/4.3.5/../../../../arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/ld.real: error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.ARM.extab'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> dan at cecilia ~/tmp $
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?
>
> Thanks,
> -Dan

Did you disable MMU support in uclibc's config and enable one of the
flat target file formats?
Regards.

* [Buildroot] making buildroot for arm7tdmi static flat fails
@ 2010-11-15 18:23   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-11-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Dan,

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:05:46 -0500
Dan Engel <dengel@sourceharvest.com> wrote:

> dan at cecilia ~/tmp $ arm-linux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt hello.c
> /mnt/local/armtc/usr/lib/gcc/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/4.3.5/../../../../arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/ld.real:
> error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.ARM.extab'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status dan at cecilia ~/tmp $
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

I don't think that the no-MMU support in Buildroot is widely used,
which explains why it's broken. If you manage to fix things up, we will
be very interested by your patches and test cases, so that we can make
sure not to break things in the future.

Regards,

Thomas
--