* Dependence on libcrypto++
@ 2010-12-07 16:25 Jim Schutt
From: Jim Schutt @ 2010-12-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

Commit 15d8bdf3bf switched to libcrypto++ (AKA libcryptopp)
for aes, rather than openssl.

It appears that RedHat does not package this
library for either Enterprise 5
  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/
or Enterprise 6
  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Client/en/os/SRPMS/

According to
 http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Linux#Distributions_Offering_Crypto.2B.2B
it's the only major distro that doesn't.

So, what's the right thing to do?  Will it be feasible to
fall back to openssl if libcryto++ isn't available?

Are there any RedHat employees on the list who can learn
whether there is any chance that RedHat can package
libcrypto++/libcryptopp?

-- Jim

* Re: Dependence on libcrypto++
@ 2010-12-07 17:54 ` Yehuda Sadeh Weinraub
From: Yehuda Sadeh Weinraub @ 2010-12-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Schutt; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Jim Schutt <jaschut@sandia.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Commit 15d8bdf3bf switched to libcrypto++ (AKA libcryptopp)
> for aes, rather than openssl.
>
> It appears that RedHat does not package this
> library for either Enterprise 5
>  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/
> or Enterprise 6
>  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Client/en/os/SRPMS/
>
> According to
>  http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Linux#Distributions_Offering_Crypto.2B.2B
> it's the only major distro that doesn't.
>
> So, what's the right thing to do?  Will it be feasible to
> fall back to openssl if libcryto++ isn't available?

From what I can tell you can get currently the required rpm from rpmforge:
http://packages.sw.be/cryptopp/

This is not supported officially by RH.

> Are there any RedHat employees on the list who can learn
> whether there is any chance that RedHat can package
> libcrypto++/libcryptopp?

If you (or anyone else that needs it for that matter) have a support
contract with RH you can try open a bugzilla request asking them to
pick it up. If we find it to be a real issue we might consider
switching to gnutls instead of libcrypto++, however, the issue there
is that we'd have to drop support to older distributions (as it didn't
export the required lower-level crypto functions until more recent
releases).

Thanks,
Yehuda

* Re: Dependence on libcrypto++
@ 2010-12-07 19:23   ` Jim Schutt
From: Jim Schutt @ 2010-12-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yehuda Sadeh Weinraub; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 10:54 -0700, Yehuda Sadeh Weinraub wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Jim Schutt <jaschut@sandia.gov> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Commit 15d8bdf3bf switched to libcrypto++ (AKA libcryptopp)
> > for aes, rather than openssl.
> >
> > It appears that RedHat does not package this
> > library for either Enterprise 5
> >  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/
> > or Enterprise 6
> >  http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Client/en/os/SRPMS/
> >
> > According to
> >  http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Linux#Distributions_Offering_Crypto.2B.2B
> > it's the only major distro that doesn't.
> >
> > So, what's the right thing to do?  Will it be feasible to
> > fall back to openssl if libcryto++ isn't available?
>
> >From what I can tell you can get currently the required rpm from rpmforge:
> http://packages.sw.be/cryptopp/
>
> This is not supported officially by RH.

Also, it's easy to build libcrytopp from source; that's
what I'll do for the time being.

> > Are there any RedHat employees on the list who can learn
> > whether there is any chance that RedHat can package
> > libcrypto++/libcryptopp?
> >

> If you (or anyone else that needs it for that matter) have a support
> contract with RH you can try open a bugzilla request asking them to
> pick it up. If we find it to be a real issue we might consider
> switching to gnutls instead of libcrypto++, however, the issue there
> is that we'd have to drop support to older distributions (as it didn't
> export the required lower-level crypto functions until more recent
> releases).

We will open such a request to see what they say.

I'm hopeful ceph will be included in a RedHat
distribution some day, so that this will be
sorted one way or another.

Thanks -- Jim