* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-02  8:12 loody
From: loody @ 2011-01-02  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Dear all:
 If i remember correctly, when kernel panic there is a function I can
 use to dump all the names of backtrace functions.
 I have searched arch/mips/traps.c, but I only can see the dump
 functions of cpu registers,

 If my assumption is true, would anyone tell me what the name is or
 what Doc I can looking for?
 appreciate your help,
miloody

* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-02  8:26 ` loody
From: loody @ 2011-01-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2011-01-02  8:27   ` loody
From: loody @ 2011-01-02  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

?Dear all:
?If i remember correctly, when kernel panic there is a function I can
?use to dump all the names of backtrace functions.
?I have searched arch/mips/traps.c, but I only can see the dump
?functions of cpu registers,

?If my assumption is true, would anyone tell me what the name is or
?what Doc I can looking for?
?appreciate your help,
miloody

* Re: functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-02  9:59 ` Deng-Cheng Zhu
From: Deng-Cheng Zhu @ 2011-01-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

stacktrace.c?

在 2011年1月2日星期日,loody <miloody@gmail.com> 写道:

@ 2011-01-02 11:01   ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-01-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 15:26, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> ?Dear all:
> ?If i remember correctly, when kernel panic there is a function I can
> ?use to dump all the names of backtrace functions.
> ?I have searched arch/mips/traps.c, but I only can see the dump
> ?functions of cpu registers,

In x86, it's dump_stack(). The definition can be read here online:
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.36/arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack.c#L198

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-03  7:43     ` Sowmya Sridharan
From: Sowmya Sridharan @ 2011-01-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I was able to check it in 2.6.36 version of kernel, and it is defined in
traps.c.
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L205

dump_stack() calls show_backtrace function which had been show_trace in
the earlier kernel versions.
I compared between 2.6.14 and the latest version, and here are the
differences:
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.14/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L110
function: show_trace
     while (!kstack_end(stack)) {
                addr = *stack++;
                if (__kernel_text_address(addr)) {
                        printk(" [<%0*lx>] ", field, addr);
                        print_symbol("%s\n", addr);
                }
        }
In the latest kernel, show_backtrace function is used, which does the same
thing, but through different functions
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L126
function: show_backtrace
        printk("Call Trace:\n");
         do {
                 print_ip_sym(pc);
                 pc = unwind_stack(task, &sp, pc, &ra);
         } while (pc);

Regards,
Sowmya

kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org wrote on 01/02/2011 04:31:08 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
>
> to:
>
> loody
>
> 01/02/2011 04:33 PM
>
> Sent by:
>
> kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org

> Kernel Newbies
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 15:26, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Dear all:
> >  If i remember correctly, when kernel panic there is a function I can
> >  use to dump all the names of backtrace functions.
> >  I have searched arch/mips/traps.c, but I only can see the dump
> >  functions of cpu registers,
>
> In x86, it's dump_stack(). The definition can be read here online:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.36/arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack.c#L198
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>
> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-03 14:32       ` loody
From: loody @ 2011-01-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hi all:

2011/1/3 Sowmya Sridharan <sowmya.sridharan@tcs.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I was able to check it in 2.6.36 version of kernel, and it is defined in
> traps.c.
> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L205
>
> dump_stack() calls show_backtrace function which had been show_trace in the
> earlier kernel versions.
> I compared between 2.6.14 and the latest version, and here are the
> differences:
> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.14/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L110
> function: show_trace
> ? ? ?while (!kstack_end(stack)) {
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? addr = *stack++;
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? if (__kernel_text_address(addr)) {
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? printk(" [<%0*lx>] ", field, addr);
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? print_symbol("%s\n", addr);
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? }
> ? ? ? ? }
> In the latest kernel, show_backtrace function is used, which does the same
> thing, but through different functions
> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L126
> function: show_backtrace
> ? ? ? ? printk("Call Trace:\n");
> ? ? ? ? ?do {
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?print_ip_sym(pc);
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?pc = unwind_stack(task, &sp, pc, &ra);
> ? ? ? ? ?} while (pc);
>

> Regards,
> Sowmya
thanks for your kind help, that is what I want.
previously, I only see the address instead of function name, but after
I select CONFIG_KALLSYMS as Y, I can see the function names also.
BTW, what is the mechanism that kernel take to find out the function name?
Regards,
miloody

* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-03 14:39         ` loody
From: loody @ 2011-01-03 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hi:

2011/1/3 loody <miloody@gmail.com>:
> hi all:
>
> 2011/1/3 Sowmya Sridharan <sowmya.sridharan@tcs.com>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was able to check it in 2.6.36 version of kernel, and it is defined in
>> traps.c.
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L205
>>
>> dump_stack() calls show_backtrace function which had been show_trace in the
>> earlier kernel versions.
>> I compared between 2.6.14 and the latest version, and here are the
>> differences:
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.14/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L110
>> function: show_trace
>> ? ? ?while (!kstack_end(stack)) {
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? addr = *stack++;
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? if (__kernel_text_address(addr)) {
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? printk(" [<%0*lx>] ", field, addr);
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? print_symbol("%s\n", addr);
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? }
>> ? ? ? ? }
>> In the latest kernel, show_backtrace function is used, which does the same
>> thing, but through different functions
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L126
>> function: show_backtrace
>> ? ? ? ? printk("Call Trace:\n");
>> ? ? ? ? ?do {
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?print_ip_sym(pc);
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?pc = unwind_stack(task, &sp, pc, &ra);
>> ? ? ? ? ?} while (pc);
>>

>> Regards,
>> Sowmya
> thanks for your kind help, that is what I want.
> previously, I only see the address instead of function name, but after
> I select CONFIG_KALLSYMS as Y, I can see the function names also.
> BTW, what is the mechanism that kernel take to find out the function name?
from log such as:
<80128580>] do_softirq+0x48/0x68
i know 0x48 is the offset of do_softirq, but how can I locate precise
what the offset 0x48 of do_softirq is? "objdump -s"?
Regards,
miloody

* functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
@ 2011-01-04  6:44         ` nilesh
From: nilesh @ 2011-01-04  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 22:32 +0800, loody wrote:
> hi all:
>
> 2011/1/3 Sowmya Sridharan <sowmya.sridharan@tcs.com>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was able to check it in 2.6.36 version of kernel, and it is defined in
> > traps.c.
> > http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L205
> >
> > dump_stack() calls show_backtrace function which had been show_trace in the
> > earlier kernel versions.
[...]
[...]
> > Regards,
> > Sowmya
> thanks for your kind help, that is what I want.
> previously, I only see the address instead of function name, but after
> I select CONFIG_KALLSYMS as Y, I can see the function names also.
> BTW, what is the mechanism that kernel take to find out the function name?

Enabling the config option, it allows to build the symbol table for
kernel. It uses /proc/kallsyms.
Below links could help:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/x627.html
http://fixunix.com/kernel/134739-proc-kallsyms-symbol-size.html