* Documentation for sun4m
@ 2011-01-19 22:52 Sam Ravnborg
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2011-01-19 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

Hi all.

While trying to understand the interrupt code in the kernel
I have searched around to find a description of how it
all fits together.

I found the documentation for SPARC V8 (and V9).
This helped to some degree - but left a lot to be understood.

I also found a low-level description of SBUS and
a few other CPU related documents.
But they did not help much - or I missed the relevant info.

So I miss something that gives a deeper intro to sun4m.
Info on sun4c, sun4d is also needed but my focus is sun4m for now,
as I only have sun4m hardware available.

Do you have any pointers to relevant documentation?

Thanks in advance,

	Sam

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
@ 2011-01-19 23:52 ` Robert Reif
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Reif @ 2011-01-19 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Do you have any pointers to relevant documentation?

http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home used to have "Sun-4M System
Architecture (revision 2.0)" by Chuck Narad online but I guess Oracle
took it offline.  I have a copy I can send.

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
@ 2011-01-20  0:27 ` David Miller
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Miller @ 2011-01-20  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

You want:

http://mediacast.sun.com/users/Barton808/media/Sun4M_SystemArchitecture_edited2.pdf

You'll find the following link quite helpful, in general:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
@ 2011-01-20  0:33 ` David Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Miller @ 2011-01-20  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

From: Robert Reif <reif@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:52:32 -0500

> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>> Do you have any pointers to relevant documentation?
>>

> http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home used to have "Sun-4M System
> Architecture (revision 2.0)" by Chuck Narad online but I guess Oracle
> took it offline.  I have a copy I can send.

Oh that's rediculious that they took it offline.

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-20  0:39 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-01-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:33:26 -0800 (PST)

> From: Robert Reif <reif@earthlink.net>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:52:32 -0500
>
>> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>>> Do you have any pointers to relevant documentation?
>>>

>> http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home used to have "Sun-4M System
>> Architecture (revision 2.0)" by Chuck Narad online but I guess Oracle
>> took it offline.  I have a copy I can send.
>
> Oh that's rediculious that they took it offline.

BTW, there is also:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/early-ports/Sparc/NCR/NCR89C105.txt

Also, the qemu sparc folks have implemented a full virtual sun4m system
controller driver in the qemu tree.  It is based upon the NCR and the
Sun-4M system architecture PDF.

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-20  9:46 ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 2011-01-20  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 16:27 -0800, David Miller wrote:

> http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home

None of the links provided to the documentation works; clicking on any
of the documentation links goes to the Oracle community page
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/index.html

Although I have my ID for logging onto Sun^WOracle, one has to have a
support contract to be able to access the information whereas it used to
be freely available on login before last December. Very disappointed
with the 'lockdown'.

Can we get someone to bash Larry over the head with with a clue-stick?
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

* Re: Documentation for sun4m
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-24 16:08 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2011-01-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 06:52:32PM -0500, Robert Reif wrote:
> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>> Do you have any pointers to relevant documentation?
>>

> http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs/Home used to have "Sun-4M System
> Architecture (revision 2.0)" by Chuck Narad online but I guess Oracle
> took it offline.  I have a copy I can send.

I tried to ask for help on a forum - but the answer was negative:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID\x165&threadID!61509

Quote:
I asked someone, who asked someone, who asked several
other people (all of them Oracle-internal), but no
luck: No one knows a location for that Chuck Narad
document. That piece of information evidently got
"lost" during the migration of Sun material to OTN.

So if you have it available I would be very glad to receive a copy.
I have tried to search google with no luck.

	Sam