* Very basic problems on my CEPH testbed
@ 2011-01-20 18:22 Ajit K Jena
From: Ajit K Jena @ 2011-01-20 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Dear List members,

We have setup a CEPH testbed based on Fedora Core 14
machines with 4 GB memory on all. We are using CEPH
version 0.24 with the components as below:

        one mds and one cmon (physically on the same machine)
        two ods (ods1 and ods2)
        btrfs is used

The distributed volume is mounted on two client machines.
When we created small files (basically text files running
to hundreds of bytes) we have no issues. The files (both
the metadata and the contents) are consistently visible
on both the clients.

The moment we try to store files of sizes 1 megabyte and
beyond the clients start hanging. The only way out is
"HARD REBOOT".

I am very much aware that CEPH is not yet fit for live
deployment and is still undergoing rapid developments.
However, I wish to know if others have got results
better than this.

Regards.

--ajit

* Re: Very basic problems on my CEPH testbed
@ 2011-01-21 15:26 ` Jim Schutt
From: Jim Schutt @ 2011-01-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ajit; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi,

There was a recent osd journaling bug fix that is
in the testing branch of
  git://ceph.newdream.net/git/ceph.git

It should be in v0.24.2 when it is released,
according to http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/666.

I experienced frequent hangs on large writes
until this bug was fixed.

The obvious manifestation of this bug was that
osds would assert like this:
  FAILED assert(repop_queue.front() == repop)

However, I also experienced hangs during heavy
writing where the osds would go idle and clients
had outstanding write requests that never completed.
I was never able to isolate the cause, but I haven't
seen that behavior since this bug was fixed.

-- Jim