* r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-03  5:52 David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-03-03  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romieu; +Cc: netdev

What is the status of Stanislaw Gruszka's "disable ASPM" r8169
patch?

	http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/83961/

Is it waiting for your testing?  Is it waiting for feedback from
Hayes?

Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?  If so
what is stalling that?

Thanks.

* Re: r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-03  9:45 ` Francois Romieu
From: Francois Romieu @ 2011-03-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netdev, Hayes, sgruszka

(Hayes added to the Cc:)

David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> :
[...]
> What is the status of Stanislaw Gruszka's "disable ASPM" r8169
> patch?
>
> 	http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/83961/
>
> Is it waiting for your testing ?

No.

I can test it against regression but I do not have the technical
knowledge to tell if it is right or not.

I have read (again) the PR as well as its sibling and there is little
evidence for me that the patch is 1) needed 2) better than the global
pcie_aspm switch. Either Realtek's in-house knowledge helps making
a technical decision or it is a policy-guided choice.

> Is it waiting for feedback from Hayes?

Yes.

Something like :
[ ] Ack. So far there is no way to handle ASPM reliably on the 816x
[ ] Not optimal but it is ok as an interim fix. For instance :
    - if some 816x (8168 ? 810{2, 3} ?) are known broken while others are not
    - it can be mitigated but the fix is not available yet
    - needs more tester / vendor work
    - etc.
[ ] Nak. The adequate fix is ...

> Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?  If so
> what is stalling that?

Realtek nic team asked me privately (end 2010) in rather general terms if
they could maintain the r8169 kernel driver. I have given some relevant
pointers for kernel code maintenance. Realtek did its housework.

I have stated publicly that I'll ack such a patch if Hayes wants to
add himself. Hayes was Cced. Either Hayes sends a patch or a plain
"please do it".

--
Ueimor

* RE: r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-03 11:35   ` hayeswang
From: hayeswang @ 2011-03-03 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Francois Romieu', 'David Miller'; +Cc: netdev, sgruszka

Sorry for my late response.

Our hardware engineer says that it has an issue indeed for 8111B (that is, rev
01) when the aspm is enabled. For the other chips, the aspm would affect the
performance. We suggest to disable for stablity.

> Something like :
> [ ] Ack. So far there is no way to handle ASPM reliably on the 816x [
> ]  Not optimal but it is ok as an interim fix. For instance :
>     - if some 816x (8168 ? 810{2, 3} ?) are known broken while others
> are not
>     - it can be mitigated but the fix is not available yet
>     - needs more tester / vendor work
>     - etc.
> [ ] Nak. The adequate fix is ...
>
> > Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?
> If so what
> > is stalling that?

Realtek would continue handling the kernel. However, the person may be different
for different period. Therefore, I think keeping the current mode is better.

> Realtek nic team asked me privately (end 2010) in rather
> general terms if they could maintain the r8169 kernel driver.
> I have given some relevant pointers for kernel code
> maintenance. Realtek did its housework.
>
> I have stated publicly that I'll ack such a patch if Hayes
> wants to add himself. Hayes was Cced. Either Hayes sends a
> patch or a plain "please do it".

Best Regards,
Hayes

* RE: r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-03 13:48     ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2011-03-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hayeswang
  Cc: 'Francois Romieu', 'David Miller', netdev, sgruszka

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 19:35 +0800, hayeswang wrote:
[...]
> > > Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?  If so what
> > > is stalling that?
>
> Realtek would continue handling the kernel. However, the person may be different
> for different period. Therefore, I think keeping the current mode is better.
[...]

Perhaps you could add a contact alias address, like our
linux-net-drivers@solarflare.com.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.

* Re: r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-03 19:54     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-03-03 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hayeswang; +Cc: romieu, netdev, sgruszka

From: hayeswang <hayeswang@realtek.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:35:11 +0800

> Our hardware engineer says that it has an issue indeed for 8111B (that is, rev
> 01) when the aspm is enabled. For the other chips, the aspm would affect the
> performance. We suggest to disable for stablity.

Ok, I will apply Stanislaw's patch, thanks.

* RE: r8169 disable ASPM patch
@ 2011-03-15  2:13       ` hayeswang
From: hayeswang @ 2011-03-15  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ben Hutchings'
> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 19:35 +0800, hayeswang wrote:
> [...]
> Hayes?  If so
> >
> > Realtek would continue handling the kernel. However, the
> person may be
> > different for different period. Therefore, I think keeping
> the current mode is better.
> [...]
>
> Perhaps you could add a contact alias address, like our
> linux-net-drivers@solarflare.com.

Thanks for your suggestion. I would ask my leader and IT.

Best Regards,
Hayes