* Using RDEPENDS or RRECOMMENDS inside a kernel module recipe
       [not found] ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.0d2bd5fa-15cc-4b27-b94e-83614f9e5b38.e9eaa89e-7e17-4231-9d9b-986210f14e42@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
@ 2021-06-23 13:22   ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2021-06-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simple question: How can I make an external kernel module depend on its
firmware?

Suppose I have a recipe "kernel-module-something.bb"

Now this module needs firmware to work so the recipe basically contains
this:

inherit module

SRC_URI = "..."

RRECOMMENDS_${PN} += "something-firmware"

What I would expect is that if I add "kernel-module-something" to the
image, that "something-firmware" also gets installed. This however does
not happen.

The "something-firmware" package is being built, but not installed, even
though "kernel-module-something" is present.

I think the reason is that there are two packages created, one meta
packages called "kernel-module-something" that indeed contains the
dependency on the "something-firmware" but does not contain the actual
kernel module.

There's a second package named "kernel-module-something-5.4.0-blabla"
(where 5.4.0-blabla appears to be the kernel version) that contains the
actual kernel module, but there's no recommendation in this package at all.

How do I properly make it so that installing "kernel-module-something"
will also install "something-firmware"?

--
Mike Looijmans

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products B.V.
Materiaalweg 4, 5681 RJ Best
The Netherlands

T: +31 (0) 499 33 69 69
E: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
W: www.topic.nl

* Re: [OE-core] Using RDEPENDS or RRECOMMENDS inside a kernel module recipe
@ 2021-06-26 14:48     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-06-26 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2021-06-23 at 15:22 +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> Simple question: How can I make an external kernel module depend on its
> firmware?
>
> Suppose I have a recipe "kernel-module-something.bb"
>
> Now this module needs firmware to work so the recipe basically contains
> this:
>
> inherit module
>
> SRC_URI = "..."
>
> RRECOMMENDS_${PN} += "something-firmware"
>

> What I would expect is that if I add "kernel-module-something" to the
> image, that "something-firmware" also gets installed. This however does
> not happen.
>
> The "something-firmware" package is being built, but not installed, even
> though "kernel-module-something" is present.
>
> I think the reason is that there are two packages created, one meta
> packages called "kernel-module-something" that indeed contains the
> dependency on the "something-firmware" but does not contain the actual
> kernel module.
>
> There's a second package named "kernel-module-something-5.4.0-blabla"
> (where 5.4.0-blabla appears to be the kernel version) that contains the
> actual kernel module, but there's no recommendation in this package at all.
>

> How do I properly make it so that installing "kernel-module-something"
> will also install "something-firmware"?

I think there is something broken in the external module code. It should
be renaming the module to include the kernel version (for parallel kernel
installation from memory). It sounds like the rename is only partially
taking effect for external modules for some reason...

Certainly for the kernel itself, the modules created are just of the form
with the version in, the others are not created.

Cheers,

Richard