* msmfb issues on trout(htc dream)
@ 2011-05-25 21:43 Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2011-05-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-msm

hi, I've tried booting linux-next on the htc dream again, and I have
some very quick dmesg messages and at the end I can see that:
>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>r7:c6039ed0
>[<c004b7b8>] (do_group_exit+0x0/0x378)
>r4:0839998f
>[<c0057064>] (get_signal_to_deliver+0x0/0x378) from [<c002f354>]
>(do_signal+0x98/0x52c)
>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>[<c002f2bc>] (do_signal+0x00/0x52c) from [<c002fcd0>] (work_pending
+0x24/0x28)
>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>r4:000ad0d8
>msmfb_start_dma 92.050 ms after vsync request
I've also MMC issues but without fixing theses error first since it will
displays even more garbage(since the msmfb and the mmc error are both
printed to the screen)

Denis.

* Re: msmfb issues on trout(htc dream)
@ 2011-05-26 16:50 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2011-05-26 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli; +Cc: linux-arm-msm, carlv

On Wed, May 25 2011, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:

> hi, I've tried booting linux-next on the htc dream again, and I have
> some very quick dmesg messages and at the end I can see that:
>>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>>r7:c6039ed0
>>[<c004b7b8>] (do_group_exit+0x0/0x378)
>>r4:0839998f
>>[<c0057064>] (get_signal_to_deliver+0x0/0x378) from [<c002f354>]
>>(do_signal+0x98/0x52c)
>>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>>[<c002f2bc>] (do_signal+0x00/0x52c) from [<c002fcd0>] (work_pending
> +0x24/0x28)
>>mdp irq already on already on 4 4
>>mdp_dma_to_mddi: busy
>>r4:000ad0d8
>>msmfb_start_dma 92.050 ms after vsync request
> I've also MMC issues but without fixing theses error first since it will
> displays even more garbage(since the msmfb and the mmc error are both
> printed to the screen)

I guess the first question is which framebuffer driver are you using?
There's one in drivers/staging/msm and another one in
drivers/video/msm.  The staging one hasn't been updated in a while, but
at least used to work on the dream.  I'm not sure if the video/msm
driver has been tested on the dream (or even the MSM7201A).  I've CC'd
Carl to see if he has any knowledge about this.

It is possible to use a serial console on the Dream, but the cables are
hard to come buy, but
<http://www.instructables.com/id/Android-G1-Serial-Cable/> can be
useful.  I recommend initially just hooking up the serial transmit line,
since overdriving the receiver can damage it.

It's kind of unfortunate that most of the people working on the MSM
support code tend to just work on the newer targets and it seems the
older targets break easily.  Hopefully we can figure out what is
happening here.

David

* Re: msmfb issues on trout(htc dream)
@ 2011-05-26 17:00   ` Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2011-05-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown; +Cc: linux-arm-msm, carlv

> I guess the first question is which framebuffer driver are you using?
The normal one(not the staging one)
> There's one in drivers/staging/msm and another one in
> drivers/video/msm.  The staging one hasn't been updated in a while, but
> at least used to work on the dream.  I'm not sure if the video/msm
> driver has been tested on the dream (or even the MSM7201A).  I've CC'd
> Carl to see if he has any knowledge about this.
Thanks.
> It is possible to use a serial console on the Dream, but the cables are
> hard to come buy, but
> <http://www.instructables.com/id/Android-G1-Serial-Cable/> can be
> useful.  I recommend initially just hooking up the serial transmit line,
> since overdriving the receiver can damage it.
I tried twice to do a serial cable from a headset and failed twice.
I guess that I would need to buy the sparkfun htc-ext adapter.

Denis.