* Access domU from dom0
@ 2011-06-03  7:44 Abhishek Bichhawat
From: Abhishek Bichhawat @ 2011-06-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xen-users

I was wondering if there was any technique to access the ports and
respective processes, which are listening on the ports, in the domU from the
dom0.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek Bichhawat

* Re: [Xen-devel] Access domU from dom0
@ 2011-06-03  8:37 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-06-03  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhishek Bichhawat; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

Please don't cross post (I have just added this advice to the
AskingXenDevelQuestions wiki page, which I recommend you read).

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 08:44 +0100, Abhishek Bichhawat wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any technique to access the ports and
> respective processes, which are listening on the ports, in the domU
> from the dom0.

What sort of ports? That word has several meanings in a Xen system.
(e.g. network port, event channel). Please describe what you are trying
to achieve.

Ian.

* Re: Access domU from dom0
@ 2011-06-03  9:44   ` Abhishek Bichhawat
From: Abhishek Bichhawat @ 2011-06-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Sorry.

I was referring to the ports associated with the sockets on which network
connections are made.
The ports are the ones on which a process listens and waits for a packet to
arrive from the network.
I would like to get the details of these ports and monitor them in dom0 to
see what processes are accessing the internet and sending and receiving
packets.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek Bichhawat

* Re: Access domU from dom0
@ 2011-06-03  9:55     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-06-03  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhishek Bichhawat; +Cc: xen-devel

Please don't top post.

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 10:44 +0100, Abhishek Bichhawat wrote:
> Sorry.
>
> I was referring to the ports associated with the sockets on which
> network connections are made.
> The ports are the ones on which a process listens and waits for a
> packet to arrive from the network.
> I would like to get the details of these ports and monitor them in
> dom0 to see what processes are accessing the internet and sending and
> receiving packets.

In general dom0 doesn't have much insight into the internals of other
guest OSes, which is what you would need in order to be able to match
network sockets to processes.

The Xen Introspection project (AKA xenaccess?) might have some of the
building blocks you need to make something like this work though. I'm
afraid I don't know any more about that project than its existence.

The other alternative would be an in guest daemon which collects and
exports this data, e.g. into xenstore.

Ian.

* Re: Access domU from dom0
@ 2011-06-03 12:53       ` Bryan D. Payne
From: Bryan D. Payne @ 2011-06-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Abhishek Bichhawat, xen-devel

> The Xen Introspection project (AKA xenaccess?) might have some of the
> building blocks you need to make something like this work though. I'm
> afraid I don't know any more about that project than its existence.

You'll probably find the VMWall research paper to be useful here.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~abhinav/papers/raid08-vmwall.pdf

VMWall is effectively a firewall for domU that runs in dom0.  It uses
introspection of the guest to get the semantic information needed to
operate via dom0.

-bryan