* [mlmmj] make mlmmj silent about delivery problems
@ 2011-06-03  9:09 Christian Gleerup
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christian Gleerup @ 2011-06-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi list.

I have some customers complaining that  they get a lot of mails 40+ pr
day, the reason for this is that there has ben some kind of delivery
problem, the message saying something like: "some messaged could not be
delivered. If you see this things are back to normal."

how can i make mlmmj be silent about these delivery problems?

/Christian

* Re: [mlmmj] make mlmmj silent about delivery problems
@ 2011-06-20  2:20 ` Ben Schmidt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2011-06-20  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Sorry for the slow response. This isn't my area of expertise, but I'll
have a go, since nobody else seems to have.

I don't think there's any way to turn these off, though it's possible
that deleting the listtext for probes would cause Mlmmj to stop sending
them. It would also, though, probably stop Mlmmj's ability to probe
bouncing users and unsubscribe them (which could lead to Mlmmj/your
domain being considered a spammer, too).

It seems to me, too, that these are symptomatic of a deeper problem.
Bounce probes should only be sent if mail does, in fact, bounce, i.e.
messages get returned to Mlmmj. If the bounce probes are being sent, it
means that messages are not reaching recipients. Turning off the probes
wouldn't solve that problem; it would just hide it. It would be better
to find out why so many mail messages are bouncing. Does your outgoing
mail server have sensible error behaviour and retry schedule, or is it
just bouncing too quickly on retryable errors when it shouldn't?

Cheers,

Ben.

On 3/06/11 7:09 PM, Christian Gleerup wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I have some customers complaining that  they get a lot of mails 40+ pr
> day, the reason for this is that there has ben some kind of delivery
> problem, the message saying something like: "some messaged could not be
> delivered. If you see this things are back to normal."
>
> how can i make mlmmj be silent about these delivery problems?
>
> /Christian

* Re: [mlmmj] make mlmmj silent about delivery problems
@ 2011-07-02 15:59 ` Christian Gleerup
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Gleerup @ 2011-07-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

thanks for the response, it seems like I am quite slow to.

the problem is, I don't really know much about mailserver and
configuration.

I have looked in /etc/postfix/main.cf

and I guess that these values are interesting, perhaps some of you can
recomends some better values.

bounce_queue_lifetime = 2d
minimal_backoff_time = 1800s

would it be better to increase this minimal backoff_time to.. say 1hour,
and maximum to 4 hours?

also, transport_retry_time is not specified, I am running postfix
version 2.5.5 so this seems like it will be 60s

there are no /etc/postfix/bounce.cf, I am not sure if this is important.

Furthermore, this doesn't happen for a lot of customers, we have arround
10k subscribers for a (almost) daily mail. We do get few complaints
about this (1 every 1 or 2 week) the last one complaining actually
contacted the police :(... now unsubscribed.

/Christian

@ 2011-07-07 23:30 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2011-07-07 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hmmm. Seems OK to me. If you haven't messed with it, it is probably OK.

So maybe something specific about those addresses is causing problems.

Maybe look in the bounce subdirectory of your listdir. If probes are being sent
there should be a 'last bounce message received' stored in there, I think, for the
relevant addresses. That might shed some light on what's happening.

Ben.

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-13 22:33 ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2012-05-13 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hello list

I asked this question some time ago, but never concluded anything (And i don't know how to reply to the old thread since it is not in my inbox anymore, I will just add a link to the archive, hope thats ok:) ) http://mlmmj.org/archive/mlmmj/2011-06/1993.html

Anyways.

We are using mlmmj as for sending newsletters, lots of users, more than 10k.

sometimes the are problems delivering messages to some user. of course this is bad. However, we would prefer that the users users does not get any "some messaged could not be delivered. If you see this things are back to normal." mails.

Last time, ben asked be to look into the last bounce something, I did that, and apparently there had ben some problems at the users ISP end...

I would prefer, that mlmmj didn't inform the users that there are problems, the mails are not so important that skipping a few will do any harm, where as informing the user that there was technical problems that they otherwise wouldn't know about, makes them sad and or angry...

In other words, the illusion that everything works must be kept for our subscribers.

/Christian

* Re: [mlmmj] make mlmmj silent about delivery problems
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-14  0:27 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2012-05-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi, Christian,

Have a look at this thread:

http://mlmmj.org/archive/mlmmj/2012-03/2096.html

The question was asked for a different reason, but I think the answers will apply
to you.

Smiles,

Ben.