* Re: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 14:12 Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

> Btw did you realize xen-blkback is already merged to upstream Linux v3.0-rc1 ?
>
> -- Pasi

I was not aware no. I hadn't really considered it to be honest. My thoughts where that 2.6.39 is here and 'stable' whereas the 3.0 is an entire new major revision and is likely to introduce a less stable experience.

Would I be wrong in thinking that?

Iain

* Re: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 14:22 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-06-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Kay; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 15:12 +0100, Iain Kay wrote:
> > Btw did you realize xen-blkback is already merged to upstream Linux v3.0-rc1 ?
> >
> > -- Pasi
>
> I was not aware no. I hadn't really considered it to be honest. My
> thoughts where that 2.6.39 is here and 'stable' whereas the 3.0 is an
> entire new major revision and is likely to introduce a less stable
> experience.
>
> Would I be wrong in thinking that?

3.0 is purely about renumbering, it is not a major release in the sense
that there is any major difference in the development cycle, code etc.
It won't be any different to the 2.6.39,38,etc development cycles.

When 3.0 comes out you should consider switching to it to be exactly as
risky as switching to 2.6.40 would have been and you should consider the
3.0-rc releases the same as you would have treated 2.6.40-rc.

Ian.

* Re: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 15:46 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-06-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Kay; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 03:12:24PM +0100, Iain Kay wrote:
> > Btw did you realize xen-blkback is already merged to upstream Linux v3.0-rc1 ?
> >
> > -- Pasi
>
> I was not aware no. I hadn't really considered it to be honest. My thoughts where that 2.6.39 is here and 'stable' whereas the 3.0 is an entire new major revision and is likely to introduce a less stable experience.

If you just want the patchset of xen-blkback against 2.6.39, go get the this branch

stable/xen-blkback-v3.3

from: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git

thought you will also need to extra patches on top, which are in in stable/backend.base.v3
to compile.

Or you can just get the 2.6.39 stable tree that has those patches and some more from

stable/2.6.39.x

* Re: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 20:19   ` Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer, xen-devel

On 3 Jun 2011, at 20:46, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

> A quick workaround is to enable CONFIG_FRONTSWAP.... it
> doesn't do anything without being enabled at runtime so
> will have no effect unless you know how to enable it.
>
> Or you can manully pull this commit from my tree:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/djm/tmem.git;a=commit;h=4cc8924f141157c39e1b2c113b2bf6f95a10f741
>
> Dan

Cheers Dan. That's done the trick.

Iain

* RE: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 19:46 ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

@ 2011-06-03 14:11 Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 3 Jun 2011, at 13:02, Ian Campbell wrote:

> git is a VCS so you can generate diffs from it, or extract individual
> changesets etc. I suggest you google up the "git diff", "git log" and
> "git show" commands.
>
> Ian.

I was aware it is a VCS however have never attempted to create diff's with it. Will look into it.

Thanks.

Iain

* Re: Looking for xen-blkback patch for 2.6.39 kernel
@ 2011-06-03 14:09 Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

@ 2011-06-03 12:02     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-06-03 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Kay; +Cc: xen-devel

Please don't top post.
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions

@ 2011-06-03 11:25     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-06-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Kay; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2011-06-03 11:05   ` Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

@ 2011-06-03 10:48 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-06-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Kay; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2011-06-03 10:41 Iain Kay
From: Iain Kay @ 2011-06-03 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Good morning,

I came across a post archived at LKML relating to a patch for the 2.6.39 kernel bringing in xen-blkback driver. It was found here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/12/532

I'm guessing there was an attachment made somewhere with a patch that I can't find on textual archives and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?

I have cloned the git tree but don't see any blkback module or any reference that would create it in the Makefiles... Have grepped through the files and I can see reference to xen-blkfront but nothing for xen-blkback...

Maybe I'm missing something but as far as I can see that git tree has nothing to allow support for the blkback driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Iain