* acpi_apic_instance=2 and a question
@ 2011-06-22 15:34 John S
From: John S @ 2011-06-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

Hi,

kernel 2.6.33.7

laptop from ECS aka ELITEGROUP aka Uniwill
model L75II0
Intel Core2 Duo T5750 2GHz
Phoenix BIOS

It's different, maybe better, with acpi_apic_instance=2

If you'd like more details / output from anything (dmesg? acpidump? dmidecode? whatever) please ask.

I'd like to get Linux running better on it - only starts 1 CPU whereas sadly Vista starts both cores.  Any suggestions welcome!

I've tried newer test kernels for ArchLinux (sorry, not yet kernel devel / Linus ones) and both 32-bit and 64-bit only start 1 core.

I'm currently looking at files such as smpboot.c and drivers/acpi/tables.c but don't really know what I should be doing to try to understand the sequence of events so I can try to work around what is no doubt a buggy BIOS.  No BIOS updates available from maker's websites.

Thanks,

John

* Re: acpi_apic_instance=2 and a question
@ 2011-06-27 17:54 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2011-06-27 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John S; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM, John S <johns9872003@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kernel 2.6.33.7
>
> laptop from ECS aka ELITEGROUP aka Uniwill
> model L75II0
> Intel Core2 Duo T5750 2GHz
> Phoenix BIOS
>
> It's different, maybe better, with acpi_apic_instance=2
>
> If you'd like more details / output from anything (dmesg? acpidump? dmidecode? whatever) please ask.
>
> I'd like to get Linux running better on it - only starts 1 CPU whereas sadly Vista starts both cores.  Any suggestions welcome!
>
> I've tried newer test kernels for ArchLinux (sorry, not yet kernel devel / Linus ones) and both 32-bit and 64-bit only start 1 core.
>
> I'm currently looking at files such as smpboot.c and drivers/acpi/tables.c but don't really know what I should be doing to try to understand the sequence of events so I can try to work around what is no doubt a buggy BIOS.  No BIOS updates available from maker's websites.

As a start, I'd suggest opening a kernel bugzilla and attaching the
dmesg logs (with and without acpi_apic_instance=2) and acpidump to it.
 Here are some tips for doing that:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/helgaas/debug .  It'd be
nicest if you could do this with a recent upstream kernel, e.g.,
3.0-rc4.

Bjorn