* Need suggestion to handle COMBINED_FEATURES variable.
@ 2022-05-18 14:01 Rahul Chauhan
From: Rahul Chauhan @ 2022-05-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi Team,

I need one suggestion.

As we know wifi is the default distro feature.
meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc ( https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc ) (this file add the DISTRO_FEATURES_DEFAULT)

packagegroup-base-wifi is dependent on COMBINED_FEATURES wifi.
${@bb.utils.contains('COMBINED_FEATURES', 'wifi', 'packagegroup-base-wifi', '',d)} \

I don't want to include *packagegroup-base-wifi* package group in my build.

One way I can use DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "wifi" in my distro.

Second thing I can use COMBINED_FEATURES_remove = "wifi".

But here my question is if I am using COMBINED_FEATURES_remove where is the ideal place to keep this variable.

Or suggest me what is the ideal way to remove the combined feature from the build. (I dont't want to keep it in local.conf file)

Thanks in advance.
Rahul Chauhan

* Re: [poky] Need suggestion to handle COMBINED_FEATURES variable.
@ 2022-05-18 15:58 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-18 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahul Chauhan, poky

On 5/18/22 7:01 AM, Rahul Chauhan wrote:
> Hi Team,
> I need one suggestion.
>
> As we know wifi is the default distro feature.
> meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc
> <https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc> (this
> file add the DISTRO_FEATURES_DEFAULT)
>
> packagegroup-base-wifi is dependent on COMBINED_FEATURES wifi.
>
> ${@bb.utils.contains('COMBINED_FEATURES', 'wifi',
> 'packagegroup-base-wifi', '',d)} \
>

> I don't want to include*packagegroup-base-wifi*  package group in my build.
>
> One way I can use DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "wifi" in my distro.

Thats perhaps ok. poky distro config is a template that is meant to
serve as a reference. Ideally you should be defining your own distro
config in this case derivided from poky.conf and set the DISTRO_FEATURES
that suites your usecase.

> Second thing I can use COMBINED_FEATURES_remove = "wifi".
> But here my question is if I am using COMBINED_FEATURES_remove where is
> the ideal place to keep this variable.
> Or suggest me what is the ideal way to remove the combined feature from
> the build. (I dont't want to keep it in local.conf file)
> Thanks in advance.
> Rahul Chauhan

* Re: Need suggestion to handle COMBINED_FEATURES variable.
@ 2022-05-18 16:30   ` Rahul Chauhan
From: Rahul Chauhan @ 2022-05-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi Khem Raj,

Thank you for quick response.

Actually i am using my own distro derivided from poky.conf and own xyz-machine.conf file.
In my xyz-machine.conf , wifi is MACHINE_FEATURE.

Since i dont want packagegroup-base-wifi in my build so i am using below line in my own distro.
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "wifi" in my distro.

So now my question is how to handle COMBINED_FEATURE to control the package/package-group installation.

DISTRO_FEATURES_remove is enough in distro file.
or
MACHINE_FEATURE_remove also required in machine.conf file.
Or
Any one of the above is sufficient.

Is COMBINED_FEATURES_remove = "wifi" is recommended by community..

@ 2022-05-18 16:33     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahul Chauhan; +Cc: poky

you need to remove it from MACHINE_FEATURES as well. Other option is
that you define your own image and select packagegroups you really
want.

@ 2022-05-18 16:47       ` Rahul Chauhan
From: Rahul Chauhan @ 2022-05-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Is there any risk, If I remove it from DISTRO_FEATURES not MACHINE_FEATURES.

Actually I am using same machine file for multi devices but each device has separate distro.
and singe image file for all the devices.

So in my case i can use DISTRO_FEATURES_remove from distro file.
but if modifying machine.conf file then all other device will impact.

so in this case, is there any way to handle COMBINED_FEATURE.

Your comment will very helpful for us.

Thanks  Again

@ 2022-05-18 17:07         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-18 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahul Chauhan; +Cc: poky

COMBINED_FEATURE gives you intersection of distro and machine
features, so if a feature is not in both of them
then it wont show up in COMBINED_FEATURES, so as long as you remove it
from DISTRO_FEATURES you might be ok

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 9:47 AM Rahul Chauhan