* perf error codes
@ 2011-07-12  8:41 Peter Zijlstra
From: Peter Zijlstra @ 2011-07-12  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vince Weaver, Stephane Eranian
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Ingo Molnar, paulus, linux-kernel

Hi Stephane, Vince,

Linus recently expressed dislike of our -ENOSPC usage for indicating the
pmu is 'full'. Do either of your projects (libpfm, libpapi resp.) rely
on this particular error code for this condition?

* Re: perf error codes
@ 2011-07-12 13:09 ` stephane eranian
From: stephane eranian @ 2011-07-12 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Zijlstra
  Cc: Vince Weaver, Linus Torvalds, Ingo Molnar, paulus, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> Hi Stephane, Vince,
>
> Linus recently expressed dislike of our -ENOSPC usage for indicating the
> pmu is 'full'. Do either of your projects (libpfm, libpapi resp.) rely
> on this particular error code for this condition?

libpfm does not make perf syscalls. It would not be impacted
by a change in the error code.

I wonder what other meaningful code you might be able to use, though.

Thanks for asking.

* Re: perf error codes
@ 2011-07-12 14:03 ` Vince Weaver
From: Vince Weaver @ 2011-07-12 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Zijlstra
  Cc: Stephane Eranian, Linus Torvalds, Ingo Molnar, paulus, linux-kernel

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> Linus recently expressed dislike of our -ENOSPC usage for indicating the
> pmu is 'full'. Do either of your projects (libpfm, libpapi resp.) rely
> on this particular error code for this condition?

PAPI doesn't have any code that relies on ENOSPC.

I have to agree with Linus, when I was working on some validation tests
and had the buffer size wrong it was very confusing when strerror() told
me the problem was "No space left of device" when none of my disks were
full.  It took me a while (and some grepping of the kernel source) to
figure out what was going on.

Vince