* `fsck -A` and fs-specific options
@ 2011-07-12  2:59 Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2011-07-12  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

ive got some "interesting" bugs here when using the `fsck -A` helper.
consider file systems that have unique mount options that sometimes the fsck
program also needs to know about.  for mounting, this isnt a problem as the
options are stored in /etc/fstab and `mount` will extract the options field
and pass it along.  but what about fsck ?

for example, some journaling file systems allow the journal to be stored
separately.  reiserfs has the "jdev=" mount option and the "--journal" fsck
option.  ext[34] have the "journal_dev=" mount option and the "-j" fsck
option.

another example is with loop mounts that take an offset.  fsck cannot operate
on the loop source as the start of the file is not the image.  it needs to
first setup the loop with the offset, and then do the fsck on the loop point.
	/tmp/foo.img /mnt/tmp ext3 loop,offset=10000

i could code up some crap in the Gentoo init scripts to take care of this, but
if we handled it in util-linux, everyone would get this for free.  seems like
we need to add a per-filesystem-type lists that track the mount option (so we
can extract it from /etc/fstab) and how to translate it into the related fsck
option.
-mike