* How to push the very last modification only ?
@ 2011-07-18  7:47 J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2011-07-18  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello list,

I have found that during push, all local commit goes into the git server. Where I like to only push the very last modification with a meaningful comment which will be available at the git server. How can I then push only the last modified one ?

Thanks

* Re: How to push the very last modification only ?
@ 2011-07-18  8:58 ` Chris Packham
From: Chris Packham @ 2011-07-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bakshi; +Cc: git

Hi,

On 18/07/11 19:47, J. Bakshi wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have found that during push, all local commit goes into the git
> server.

Yes that's the normal behaviour. When you think about what push is doing
it's trying to make the remote branch the same as your local branch.

> Where I like to only push the very last modification with
> a meaningful comment which will be available at the git server. How
> can I then push only the last modified one ?

This is easily doable. What you need to do is prepare a branch that you
do want to push. Something like this, assuming that your current branch
is 'master' and you want to push to origin/master:

  # first create temporary a branch to use while you're delivering
  git checkout -b delivery origin/master

  # now cherry pick the commits you do want to push. I usually use
  # gitk and cherry-pick from the right-click menu, but for simplicity
  # I'll use git cherry-pick here.
  git cherry-pick master
  # you can provide a commit id instead of 'master'.

  # at this point you could also use git commit --amend to add any
  # final tweaks to the commit

  # check that your delivery branch is good using git log/gitk. Build,
  # test, etc

  # now push it to your local delivery branch to the remote master
  # branch
  git push origin delivery:master

  # now do some cleanup
  git checkout master
  git branch -d delivery
  git rebase origin/master

* Re: How to push the very last modification only ?
@ 2011-07-18 16:49   ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2011-07-18 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bakshi; +Cc: Chris Packham, git

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 20:58 +1200, Chris Packham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/07/11 19:47, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I have found that during push, all local commit goes into the git
> > server.
>
> Yes that's the normal behaviour. When you think about what push is doing
> it's trying to make the remote branch the same as your local branch.
>
> > Where I like to only push the very last modification with
> > a meaningful comment which will be available at the git server. How
> > can I then push only the last modified one ?
>
> This is easily doable. What you need to do is prepare a branch that you
> do want to push. Something like this, assuming that your current branch
> is 'master' and you want to push to origin/master:
<snip>

Another way to do what Chris describes is to use Interactive Rebase (git
rebase -i) to squash commits together. Please read the manual page for
that carefully before using it on a production repository.
--
-Drew Northup
"As opposed to vegetable or mineral error?"

* Re: How to push the very last modification only ?
@ 2011-07-19  6:07   ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2011-07-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Packham; +Cc: git

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:58:51 +1200
Chris Packham <judge.packham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 18/07/11 19:47, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I have found that during push, all local commit goes into the git
> > server.
>
> Yes that's the normal behaviour. When you think about what push is doing
> it's trying to make the remote branch the same as your local branch.
>
> > Where I like to only push the very last modification with
> > a meaningful comment which will be available at the git server. How
> > can I then push only the last modified one ?
>
> This is easily doable. What you need to do is prepare a branch that you
> do want to push. Something like this, assuming that your current branch
> is 'master' and you want to push to origin/master:
>
>   # first create temporary a branch to use while you're delivering
>   git checkout -b delivery origin/master
>
>   # now cherry pick the commits you do want to push. I usually use
>   # gitk and cherry-pick from the right-click menu, but for simplicity
>   # I'll use git cherry-pick here.
>   git cherry-pick master
>   # you can provide a commit id instead of 'master'.
>
>   # at this point you could also use git commit --amend to add any
>   # final tweaks to the commit
>
>   # check that your delivery branch is good using git log/gitk. Build,
>   # test, etc
>
>   # now push it to your local delivery branch to the remote master
>   # branch
>   git push origin delivery:master
>
>   # now do some cleanup
>   git checkout master