* prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-04 14:42 Todd Cooper
From: Todd Cooper @ 2011-08-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Is there any way to make Yocto try to get prebuilt packages from known repositories rather than trying to rebuild the world?

-Todd

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-04 14:59 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-08-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Cooper; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 07:42 -0700, Todd Cooper wrote:
> Is there any way to make Yocto try to get prebuilt packages from known
> repositories rather than trying to rebuild the world?

The system supports a cache of prebuilt objects in the form of the
sstate data to accelerate build times if nothing changes. It doesn't
directly support using prebuilt packages directly though as its a much
harder problem to solve than you first realise.

A an example, given a package feed, its very hard to work out library
provision within that package feed or dependency naming.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-04 17:50   ` Todd Cooper
From: Todd Cooper @ 2011-08-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: yocto

Would this be worth putting on the list of items wished for in the future?

It sounds like the problem is difficult, but not impossible.

>________________________________

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-04 22:43     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-08-04 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Cooper; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:50 -0700, Todd Cooper wrote:
> Would this be worth putting on the list of items wished for in the
> future?
>
> It sounds like the problem is difficult, but not impossible.

Most things are possible :).

The implementation isn't hard, maintaining some kind of translation
table for the dependencies, shared library provision lists and so on is
a *lot* of work though.

It would really take someone with a specific use case to step forward
along with manpower for it to have a chance of happening. Even then it
would work for a specific set of packages and wouldn't translate to any
other package feed.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-05  1:37       ` Todd Cooper
From: Todd Cooper @ 2011-08-05  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: "yocto@yoctoproject.org"

Can I suggest that Yocto put it on the futures list, but with a lower priority?

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-05  8:13         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2011-08-05  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Cooper; +Cc: "yocto@yoctoproject.org"

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 18:37 -0700, Todd Cooper wrote:
> Can I suggest that Yocto put it on the futures list, but with a lower
> priority?

You can add it to the list on the wiki.

Which known set of prebuilt packages are you thinking we should be able
to build against?

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: prebuilt pacakages
@ 2011-08-05 15:18           ` Ourada, Paul
From: Ourada, Paul @ 2011-08-05 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, Todd Cooper; +Cc: "yocto@yoctoproject.org"

I'm no expert, but would the use of something like Puppet make this job a lot easier? A consultant is suggesting that we consider that tool for this purpose. Define a particular set of packages in Puppet, and you can play around in your sandbox to your heart's content. When you want to get back to a particular configuration, let Puppet do that for you. It may be a little heavyweight for some projects, but I'd think that any project which needs stricter control could use this.

http://www.puppetlabs.com

Paul E. Ourada
Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Covidien, Energy-based Devices