* git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-20 17:06 Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2011-08-20 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: madduck, normalperson, git

first of all, thanks for a great tool - use it daily!

I think I found a small bug in git 1.7.6. Having "trunk" at the end of the url in combination of --stdlayout is wrong, but it looks like that git-svn tries to cope, but doesn't go try far enough:

Doing this:
----------------
git svn clone --stdlayout http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ android-quick-settings
----------------

Gives this message and stops:
----------------
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/Hin-Tak/tmp-git/svn-imports/android-quick-settings/.git/
Using higher level of URL: http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk => http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn
----------------

When I saw the message I thought it is striping the ending 'trunk' for my convenience, but when I look at .git/config:

--------------------
$ more .git/config
[core]
	repositoryformatversion = 0
	filemode = true
	bare = false
	logallrefupdates = true
[svn-remote "svn"]
	url = http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn
	fetch = trunk/trunk:refs/remotes/trunk
	branches = trunk/branches/*:refs/remotes/*
	tags = trunk/tags/*:refs/remotes/tags/*
------------------

It is doing 'trunk/trunk', etc, which is why it stopped.

Can it either clone correctly despite the wrong instruction, or fail with a better message than 'Using higher level...' which suggests it tried?

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-20 18:35 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2011-08-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: madduck, git

Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> first of all, thanks for a great tool - use it daily!

You're welcome :>

> I think I found a small bug in git 1.7.6. Having "trunk" at the end of
> the url in combination of --stdlayout is wrong, but it looks like that
> git-svn tries to cope, but doesn't go try far enough:
>
> Doing this:
> ----------------
> git svn clone --stdlayout http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ android-quick-settings

--stdlayout expects the "root" path of the code you're interested
in (not necessarily the SVN repository root, but in this case they
could be the same).

Try the following instead:

git svn clone --stdlayout \
  http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn android-quick-settings

--
Eric Wong

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-21  9:38   ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2011-08-21  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: madduck, git

--- On Sat, 20/8/11, Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> wrote:

> > I think I found a small bug in git 1.7.6. Having
> "trunk" at the end of
> > the url in combination of --stdlayout is wrong, but it
> looks like that
> > git-svn tries to cope, but doesn't go try far enough:
> >
> > Doing this:
> > ----------------
> > git svn clone --stdlayout http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
> android-quick-settings
>
> --stdlayout expects the "root" path of the code you're
> interested
> in (not necessarily the SVN repository root, but in this
> case they
> could be the same).
>
> Try the following instead:
>
> git svn clone --stdlayout \
>   http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn
> android-quick-settings

I know this is the correct way - what I meant was that, having "trunk" at the end is wrong but git-svn appears to try to correct it automatically, but haven't quite succceeded.

Hin-Tak

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-22  9:01     ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2011-08-22  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: htl10; +Cc: Eric Wong, madduck, git

Hin-Tak Leung venit, vidit, dixit 21.08.2011 11:38:
> --- On Sat, 20/8/11, Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> wrote:
>
>>> I think I found a small bug in git 1.7.6. Having
>> "trunk" at the end of
>>> the url in combination of --stdlayout is wrong, but it
>> looks like that
>>> git-svn tries to cope, but doesn't go try far enough:
>>>
>>> Doing this:
>>> ----------------
>>> git svn clone --stdlayout http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
>> android-quick-settings
>>
>> --stdlayout expects the "root" path of the code you're
>> interested
>> in (not necessarily the SVN repository root, but in this
>> case they
>> could be the same).
>>
>> Try the following instead:
>>
>> git svn clone --stdlayout \
>>   http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn
>> android-quick-settings
>
> I know this is the correct way - what I meant was that, having "trunk" at the end is wrong but git-svn appears to try to correct it automatically, but haven't quite succceeded.

It is not trying to do that at all. git-svn is trying to figure out what
the "base path" is in an svn repo which possibly hosts multiple repos,
and that is what the message reports.

Michael

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-22 15:11       ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2011-08-22 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J Gruber; +Cc: Eric Wong, madduck, git

--- On Mon, 22/8/11, Michael J Gruber <git@drmicha.warpmail.net> wrote:

> Hin-Tak Leung venit, vidit, dixit
> 21.08.2011 11:38:
> > --- On Sat, 20/8/11, Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net>

> Having
> >> "trunk" at the end of
> wrong, but it
> >> looks like that
> enough:

> >> android-quick-settings
> >>
> >> --stdlayout expects the "root" path of the code
> you're
> >> interested
> >> in (not necessarily the SVN repository root, but
> in this
> >> case they
> >> could be the same).
> >>
> >> Try the following instead:
> >>
> >> git svn clone --stdlayout \
> >>   http://quick-settings.googlecode.com/svn
> >> android-quick-settings
> >
> > I know this is the correct way - what I meant was
> that, having "trunk" at the end is wrong but git-svn appears
> to try to correct it automatically, but haven't quite
> succceeded.
>
> It is not trying to do that at all. git-svn is trying to
> figure out what
> the "base path" is in an svn repo which possibly hosts
> multiple repos,
> and that is what the message reports.

Okay... thanks for clarifying that. Maybe it could try to be clever? Afterall, --stdlayout isn't compatible with a URL ending in "trunk" (or having 'trunk' as part of the URL). Just a suggestion.

Hin-Tak

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-22 15:28         ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2011-08-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: htl10; +Cc: Eric Wong, madduck, git

Hin-Tak Leung venit, vidit, dixit 22.08.2011 17:11:
> --- On Mon, 22/8/11, Michael J Gruber <git@drmicha.warpmail.net> wrote:
>
>> Hin-Tak Leung venit, vidit, dixit
>> 21.08.2011 11:38:
>>> --- On Sat, 20/8/11, Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net>

>> Having
>> wrong, but it
>> enough:

>> you're
>> in this

>>> I know this is the correct way - what I meant was
>> that, having "trunk" at the end is wrong but git-svn appears
>> to try to correct it automatically, but haven't quite
>> succceeded.
>>
>> It is not trying to do that at all. git-svn is trying to
>> figure out what
>> the "base path" is in an svn repo which possibly hosts
>> multiple repos,
>> and that is what the message reports.
>
> Okay... thanks for clarifying that. Maybe it could try to be clever? Afterall, --stdlayout isn't compatible with a URL ending in "trunk" (or having 'trunk' as part of the URL). Just a suggestion.

You *could* have this layout:

foo/trunk/trunk
foo/trunk/tags/v1
foo/trunk/tags/v2

That's a perfectly valid layout. The fact that it is stupidly named
should not activate git-svn magic.

Michael

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-22 15:57           ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2011-08-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J Gruber; +Cc: Eric Wong, madduck, git

--- On Mon, 22/8/11, Michael J Gruber <git@drmicha.warpmail.net> wrote:

> >> It is not trying to do that at all. git-svn is
> trying to
> >> figure out what
> >> the "base path" is in an svn repo which possibly
> hosts
> >> multiple repos,
> >> and that is what the message reports.
> >
> > Okay... thanks for clarifying that. Maybe it could try
> to be clever? Afterall, --stdlayout isn't compatible with a
> URL ending in "trunk" (or having 'trunk' as part of the
> URL). Just a suggestion.
>
> You *could* have this layout:
>
> foo/trunk/trunk
> foo/trunk/tags/v1
> foo/trunk/tags/v2
>
> That's a perfectly valid layout. The fact that it is
> stupidly named
> should not activate git-svn magic.

Fair enough. Perhaps --stdlayout in combination with URL having "trunk" in the name can emit a warning? e.g. "are you sure? That looks a bit stupidly named". I wrote because I think git-svn could either try a bit harder at guessing, or be a bit clearer about the repository not conforming to a standard layout (if the URL is wrong).

Hin-Tak

* Re: git svn --stdlayout 's little quirk.
@ 2011-08-23  6:09           ` Andreas Krey
From: Andreas Krey @ 2011-08-23  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J Gruber; +Cc: htl10, Eric Wong, madduck, git

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:28:30 +0000, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> You *could* have this layout:
>
> foo/trunk/trunk
> foo/trunk/tags/v1
> foo/trunk/tags/v2

We *do*. Ok, it's more like dev/trunk/mod/submod/trunk (and sometimes with
even more trunks). Stupid historical accident.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>