* package trying to link to /usr/lib/.lib instead of /usr/lib during staging
@ 2011-09-02  7:17 Wei Kong
From: Wei Kong @ 2011-09-02  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

During compilation, for some reason, the linker attempts to look for
libraries in the wrong directory.

In this log output, I was attempting to compile the ace library:

| i486-angstrom-linux-g++:
~/oe/angstrom/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2008_1/sysroots/486sx-angstrom-linux/usr/lib/.libs/libstdc++.so:
No such file or directory
| make[3]: *** [libACE.la] Error 1
| make[3]: Leaving directory
`~/oe/angstrom/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2008_1/work/486sx-angstrom-linux/ace-5.6.8-r0/build.i486-angstrom-linux/ace'

I have verified that the libstdc++.so library does exist
at  ~/oe/angstrom/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2008_1/sysroots/486sx-angstrom-linux/usr/lib,
and that the .lib subdirectory does not exist at all.

I had to alter the default recipe as autoconf was generating an unusable
configure file. Below is my recipe:

------------- ace.inc ----------------
DESCRIPTION = "C++ network programming framework"
SECTION = "net"
LICENSE = "http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-copying.html"

DEPENDS += "openssl gperf-native"

SRC_URI = "
ftp://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/previous_versions/ACE-${PV}.tar.bz2"
S = "${WORKDIR}/ACE_wrappers"
B = "${WORKDIR}/build.${TARGET_SYS}"

EXTRA_OECONF += "--disable-ace-tests --disable-gperf"
LEAD_SONAME = "libACE-[0-9.]*.so"

do_configure() {
${S}/configure --libdir=${STAGING_LIBDIR}
}

do_compile() {
make
}

do_install() {
DESTDIR=${D} oe_runmake install
}

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wei

* Re: package trying to link to /usr/lib/.lib instead of /usr/lib during staging
@ 2011-09-02  7:37 ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-09-02  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dear Wei,

Am Freitag, den 02.09.2011, 17:17 +1000 schrieb Wei Kong:

> During compilation, for some reason, the linker attempts to look for
> libraries in the wrong directory.

[…]

please send your recipe without having Google Mail line wrap things, so
people can test it themselves.

Use `git commit …` and `git format-patch …` (and `git send-email`). This
is also documented in our Wiki (for example [1] and other pages).

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://openembedded.org/index.php/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded

* Re: package trying to link to /usr/lib/.lib instead of /usr/lib during staging
@ 2011-09-02  7:58   ` Wei Kong
From: Wei Kong @ 2011-09-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Paul,

Apologies, but I am not sure how to proceed as I am new to posting on
mailing lists. I don't really want to commit this change, I was just seeing
if anyone knows how to make openembedded look into the correct staging
library folder, and the recipe was there just for reference.

But if I need to submit a patch to get some insight, please let me know.

Thanks

Wei

@ 2011-09-02  9:38     ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-09-02  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dear Wei,

Am Freitag, den 02.09.2011, 17:58 +1000 schrieb Wei Kong:

> Apologies, but I am not sure how to proceed as I am new to posting on
> mailing lists.

please read the netiquette [1], for example please use interleaved style
when replying.

> I don't really want to commit this change,

In my opinion it is always good to contribute and try to get things
upstream. We are always looking forward to contributions.

> I was just seeing if anyone knows how to make openembedded look into
> the correct staging library folder, and the recipe was there just for
> reference.

I am not sure, but you are overwriting the tasks configure and compile.
Why do you have to do that? Is your package using autotools? Anyway, you
have to make sure that the correct paths are used when you call
`configure` and `make`. Normally OpenEmbedded uses `oe_runconf` and
`oe_runmake` and makes sure to path the correct things.

> But if I need to submit a patch to get some insight, please let me know.

I cannot promise anything but it would make helping easier.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette

* Re: package trying to link to /usr/lib/.lib instead of /usr/lib during staging
@ 2011-09-05  1:27       ` Wei Kong
From: Wei Kong @ 2011-09-05  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Paul,

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I am not sure, but you are overwriting the tasks configure and compile.
> Why do you have to do that? Is your package using autotools? Anyway, you
> have to make sure that the correct paths are used when you call
> `configure` and `make`. Normally OpenEmbedded uses `oe_runconf` and
> `oe_runmake` and makes sure to path the correct things.
>
>  I had to overwrite the tasks as if I included the "inherit autoconf" line,
bitbake would perform an autoconf, and for some reason, the configure file
generated was unusable and I do not know how to solve this. The default
configure file that comes with the release can be used, which is why I
overwrote the mentioned tasks to not perform an autoreconf.

The recipe I am referring to is the ace package located under
"openembedded/recipes/ace" and the version is 5.6.8.

I think I have set the paths correctly, in particular the libdir which I
have set to ${STAGING_LIBDIR}, but it is still looking at
${STAGING_LIBDIR}/.lib for the libstdc++.so library.

I can post the do_configure and do_compile scripts showing their
environments if it will help.

Thanks and regards,

Wei