* Question on virtual block device
@ 2011-10-27 16:14 Daniel Castro
From: Daniel Castro @ 2011-10-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, seabios

Hello All,

I am connecting my front and back for a block device.
I have collected from xenstore sectors, sector-size. But I also need:
    u16 heads;      // # heads
    u16 cylinders;  // # cylinders
    u16 spt;        // # sectors / track
I guess from the SeaBIOS perspective they are required, but from the
xen perspective how can I get them? pure math/translation?

Thanks,

Daniel

--
+-=====---------------------------+
| +---------------------------------+ | This space intentionally blank
for notetaking.
| |   | Daniel Castro,                |
| |   | Consultant/Programmer.|
| |   | U Andes                         |
+-------------------------------------+

* Re: Question on virtual block device
@ 2011-10-27 16:30 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-10-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Castro; +Cc: xen-devel, seabios

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 17:14 +0100, Daniel Castro wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am connecting my front and back for a block device.
> I have collected from xenstore sectors, sector-size. But I also need:
>     u16 heads;      // # heads
>     u16 cylinders;  // # cylinders
>     u16 spt;        // # sectors / track
> I guess from the SeaBIOS perspective they are required, but from the
> xen perspective how can I get them? pure math/translation?

CHS is rather historical and has no real relevance to a virtual device.
You can basically just make them up to fit the underlying device size,
take a look at blkif_getgeo in Linux for example.

Ian.