* ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-13  9:06 Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2012-01-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi

We are currently using the UBIFS with a preemt rt patched kernel + some local
platform adaptions. After a firmware update of the root filesystem with
ubiformat we see the following message on the next reboot:
sched: RT throttling activated

This message is only seen after firmware update so i suspect that the reason
for this message lies within the ubifs/ubi layer. With the RT enabled kernel
all interrupt run as realtime tasks. This means that if an interrupt takes too
much cpu for some time this is noticed by the scheduler and it throttles the
realtime tasks to 95% of available cpu time.

This happens with or without of ubifs master for 3.0 applied from
git://git.infradead.org/~dedekind/ubifs-v3.0.git

So is there some condition which causes UBI(FS) to take more time in an
interrupt routine if the filesystem has been updated? If yes wouldn't it be
possible to move this work into:
ubifs_bgt0_0

Best regards
Tim

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-13 15:34 ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Sander; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 10:06 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> This happens with or without of ubifs master for 3.0 applied from
> git://git.infradead.org/~dedekind/ubifs-v3.0.git
>
> So is there some condition which causes UBI(FS) to take more time in an
> interrupt routine if the filesystem has been updated? If yes wouldn't it be
> possible to move this work into:
> ubifs_bgt0_0

Please the very latest patches:

http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git

Namely, these should fix the issue:

http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/1f5d78dc4823a85f112aaa2d0f17624f8c2a6c52
http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/d34315da9146253351146140ea4b277193ee5e5f

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-16 10:43   ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2012-01-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd, dedekind1

Hi Artem

Thanks for your reply.
Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2012 schrieb Artem Bityutskiy:
> On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 10:06 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> > This happens with or without of ubifs master for 3.0 applied from
> > git://git.infradead.org/~dedekind/ubifs-v3.0.git
> >
> > So is there some condition which causes UBI(FS) to take more time in an
> > interrupt routine if the filesystem has been updated? If yes wouldn't it
> > be possible to move this work into:
> > ubifs_bgt0_0
>
> Please the very latest patches:
Mh, i'd like to. But this is with the realtime patches and i have only got 3.0
up and running. To my knowledge this error is only visible with the preempt rt
patch applied. So there are way to many merge conflicts for me to test :-(
sorry. I probably could give it a spin with 3.2-rt but i havent got this one
booting.

> http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git
>
> Namely, these should fix the issue:
>
> http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/1f5d78dc4823a85f112aaa2d0f176
> 24f8c2a6c52
> http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/d34315da9146253351146140ea4b
> 277193ee5e5f
Do you think it is worthwhile checking the ubifs 3.0 backport with the above
two cherry-picked?

Best regards
Tim

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-16 11:19     ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-16 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Sander; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:43 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> > http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/1f5d78dc4823a85f112aaa2d0f176
> > 24f8c2a6c52
> > http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/d34315da9146253351146140ea4b
> > 277193ee5e5f
> Do you think it is worthwhile checking the ubifs 3.0 backport with the above
> two cherry-picked?

I've pushed them to the ubifs-v3.0 back-port tree as well. But I think
they are useless - sorry, I was confused.

Also, if you say this happens when you run ubiformat - this is something
about your flash driver. Do you use NOR or NAND? Can you detect which
interrupt takes too much time? If the theory is that this is your flash
driver interrupt - can you verify it by injecting some instrumentation
to the interrupt handler?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-16 12:59       ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2012-01-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

Hi Artem

Am Montag, 16. Januar 2012 schrieb Artem Bityutskiy:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:43 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> > > http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/1f5d78dc4823a85f112aaa2d0
> > > f176 24f8c2a6c52
> > > http://git.infradead.org/ubifs-2.6.git/commit/d34315da9146253351146140e
> > > a4b 277193ee5e5f
> >
> > Do you think it is worthwhile checking the ubifs 3.0 backport with the
> > above two cherry-picked?
>
> I've pushed them to the ubifs-v3.0 back-port tree as well. But I think
> they are useless - sorry, I was confused.
Ok i was wondering that logging was causing this cind of behavoir...

> Also, if you say this happens when you run ubiformat - this is something
> about your flash driver. Do you use NOR or NAND? Can you detect which
> interrupt takes too much time? If the theory is that this is your flash
> driver interrupt - can you verify it by injecting some instrumentation
> to the interrupt handler?
This is a arm i.mx35 (pcm43) platform using the nor and nand driver. The
mxc_nand driver is loaded later which seems to be around the same time this
message:
"sched: RT throttling activated" comes up and the ubi on the nand gets
attached. I will see what if i can dig s.t. up with the instrumentation and
will report back.

Best regards
Tim

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-16 13:04         ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-16 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Sander; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:59 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> Hi Artem

> > > Do you think it is worthwhile checking the ubifs 3.0 backport with the
> > > above two cherry-picked?
> >
> > I've pushed them to the ubifs-v3.0 back-port tree as well. But I think
> > they are useless - sorry, I was confused.
> Ok i was wondering that logging was causing this cind of behavoir...
>
> > Also, if you say this happens when you run ubiformat - this is something
> > about your flash driver. Do you use NOR or NAND? Can you detect which
> > interrupt takes too much time? If the theory is that this is your flash
> > driver interrupt - can you verify it by injecting some instrumentation
> > to the interrupt handler?
> This is a arm i.mx35 (pcm43) platform using the nor and nand driver. The
> mxc_nand driver is loaded later which seems to be around the same time this
> message:
> "sched: RT throttling activated" comes up and the ubi on the nand gets
> attached. I will see what if i can dig s.t. up with the instrumentation and
> will report back.

My theory is that this is related to the NOR driver then. UBI does not
use interrups. UBIFS uses hrtimer so it does have some code which may
run in interrupt context, but all it does - it wakes up a thread and
finishes.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-16 14:59           ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2012-01-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd, dedekind1

Hi Artem
Am Montag, 16. Januar 2012 schrieb Artem Bityutskiy:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:59 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:

> > > I've pushed them to the ubifs-v3.0 back-port tree as well. But I think
> > > they are useless - sorry, I was confused.
> >
> > Ok i was wondering that logging was causing this cind of behavoir...
> >
> > > Also, if you say this happens when you run ubiformat - this is
> > > something about your flash driver. Do you use NOR or NAND? Can you
> > > detect which interrupt takes too much time? If the theory is that this
> > > is your flash driver interrupt - can you verify it by injecting some
> > > instrumentation to the interrupt handler?
> >
> > This is a arm i.mx35 (pcm43) platform using the nor and nand driver. The
> > mxc_nand driver is loaded later which seems to be around the same time
> > "sched: RT throttling activated" comes up and the ubi on the nand gets
> > attached. I will see what if i can dig s.t. up with the instrumentation
> > and will report back.
>
> My theory is that this is related to the NOR driver then. UBI does not
> use interrups. UBIFS uses hrtimer so it does have some code which may
> run in interrupt context, but all it does - it wakes up a thread and
> finishes.
The pcm-043 platform uses the "physmap-flash" nor driver. I have not found
any related interrupt handler? So probably the problem is more sublte. For
example that the ubi background daemon is working and the timings are different
after a firmware update which triggers this interrupt. Initially i thought this
is closely related to the loading of the mxc_nand driver, attaching the ubi
and mounting the ubifs filesystem since this message is output at roughly the
same time. But it is only the nor flash which has been updated with ubiformat
and not the nand flash when this error occurs.

So is there some work to be done, after mounting a ubiformat updated image?

Best regards
Tim

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-18 14:17             ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-18 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Sander; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 15:59 +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> So is there some work to be done, after mounting a ubiformat updated image?

Hmm, should not be. If there is, this is most probably a bug or I forgot
something.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt
@ 2012-01-18 14:38               ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2012-01-18 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

Hi Artem

I just found out that the error i attributed to ubifs is most likely within
the network code. Its just that after the ubiimage has been attached
the network was reconfigured. I first attributed it to the ubi code since this
always happened so close to the ubiattach and was related with firmware update.
Sorry for the noise and thanks for your support.

Tim