* Linux kernel initialization using Xen.
@ 2012-02-01  8:19 jack nemati
From: jack nemati @ 2012-02-01  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Dear Developers,
I appreciate if you could help me with the following question; How we can send initialization parameters from xen to the Linux kernel in boot time, for example this parameter noexec=off.

Thanks in advance,

* Re: Linux kernel initialization using Xen.
@ 2012-02-01 10:04 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-02-01 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jack nemati; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 08:19 +0000, jack nemati wrote:
> I appreciate if you could help me with the following question; How we
> can send initialization parameters from xen to the Linux kernel in
> boot time, for example this parameter noexec=off.

Configuration questions such as this are best addressed to the xen-users
mailing list.

If I've misunderstood and you are actually proposing a some development
related change then please take a look at
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions to help you frame your
suggestion.

Thanks,

Ian.

* Re: Linux kernel initialization using Xen.
@ 2012-02-01 10:35   ` jack nemati
From: jack nemati @ 2012-02-01 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel

My question was not about configuration, its main propose is how I can embed some initialization parameters in the Xen source code - for example in domain_build.c- that would pass as the boot time parameters to Linux kernel which is lunching in dom0.

@ 2012-02-01 10:39     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-02-01 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jack nemati; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 10:35 +0000, jack nemati wrote:
> My question was not about configuration, its main propose is how I can
> embed some initialization parameters in the Xen source code - for
> example in domain_build.c- that would pass as the boot time parameters
> to Linux kernel which is lunching in dom0.

Why do you not do this via your bootloader configuration?

Ian.

* Re: Linux kernel initialization using Xen.
@ 2012-02-01 10:56 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-02-01 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jack nemati; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 10:51 +0000, jack nemati wrote:
> is there any solution for it? Thanks
>
>         I want to do this in the hypervisor level, because I'm going
>         to prevent illegal  modifications in the bootloader. as an
>         instance, I want to prevent users from passing parameters such
>         as noexec=off in boot time to the kernel.

But a user who can modify the command line can just as easily modify
which hypervisor binary they launch, at which point you need to start
thinking about trusted boot etc and if you are doing that you would
naturally measure the bootloader configuration too.

Anyway, you can do whatever checking or modifications you like to the
cmdline in construct_dom0().

Ian.

* Re: Linux kernel initialization using Xen.
@ 2012-02-01 10:51 jack nemati
From: jack nemati @ 2012-02-01 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel