* concept of substream...
@ 2012-02-08  9:05 Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2012-02-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Mark Brown

Hi,

I was trying to understand the concept of substream. So can we have a
device which can have support say 5 substreams and these are controlled
(start/stop) independent of each other.
At any instance we can have any number of substreams active and runtime
we should be able to activate/deactivate a particular substream. Is that
doable with this concept or should i look at something else?

--
~Vinod

* Re: concept of substream...
@ 2012-02-08  9:16 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2012-02-08  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa, Mark Brown

Vinod Koul wrote:
> I was trying to understand the concept of substream. So can we have a
> device which can have support say 5 substreams and these are controlled
> (start/stop) independent of each other.

Yes.

> At any instance we can have any number of substreams active and runtime
> we should be able to activate/deactivate a particular substream.

If by "active" you mean opened or running, yes.

Please note that when opening a device without specifying a substream
number, ALSA will open the first free one.  This implies that all
substreams should go the same output (i.e., be mixed together).

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: concept of substream...
@ 2012-02-08  9:25     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2012-02-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: alsa, Mark Brown, Clemens Ladisch

At Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:56:02 +0530,
Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 10:16 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Vinod Koul wrote:
> > > I was trying to understand the concept of substream. So can we have a
> > > device which can have support say 5 substreams and these are controlled
> > > (start/stop) independent of each other.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > At any instance we can have any number of substreams active and runtime
> > > we should be able to activate/deactivate a particular substream.
> >
> > If by "active" you mean opened or running, yes.
> >

> > Please note that when opening a device without specifying a substream
> > number, ALSA will open the first free one.  This implies that all
> > substreams should go the same output (i.e., be mixed together).
> Mixed in alsa or should be mixed by device?

It's pretty much depending on the hardware and the driver
implementation.

Takashi

* Re: concept of substream...
@ 2012-02-08  9:26   ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2012-02-08  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa, Mark Brown

@ 2012-02-08  9:33       ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2012-02-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa, Mark Brown, Clemens Ladisch

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 10:25 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Please note that when opening a device without specifying a
> substream
> > > number, ALSA will open the first free one.  This implies that all
> > > substreams should go the same output (i.e., be mixed together).
> > Mixed in alsa or should be mixed by device?
>
> It's pretty much depending on the hardware and the driver
> implementation.
okay does it means its fair assumption that in driver I will get 5
opens/5 buffers. And driver is tasked with routing them to respective
output?

--
~Vinod

* Re: concept of substream...
@ 2012-02-08 11:11         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2012-02-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: alsa, Mark Brown, Clemens Ladisch

At Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:03:47 +0530,
Vinod Koul wrote:

> > substream
> > > Mixed in alsa or should be mixed by device?
> >
> > It's pretty much depending on the hardware and the driver
> > implementation.
> okay does it means its fair assumption that in driver I will get 5
> opens/5 buffers. And driver is tasked with routing them to respective
> output?

Yes.

Takashi