* bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-09 13:03 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-04-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

The config file conf/bblayers.conf seems to be required:
   $ bitbake core-image-minimal
   Unable to find conf/bblayers.conf
   BitBake must be run from within your build directory: /home/local/p60_poky

but the bitbake documentation says otherwise:
                 <para>BitBake will first search the current working directory for an optional "conf/bblayers.conf" configuration file. This file is expected to contain a BBLAYERS
variable which is a space delimited list of 'layer' directories. For each directory in this list, a "conf/layer.conf" file will be searched for and parsed with the LAYERDIR
variable being set to the directory where the layer was found. The idea is these files will setup BBPATH and other variables correctly for a given build directory automatically for
the user.</para>

Maybe the documentation should just read "required" instead of "optional"?

* Re: bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-09 18:07 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-04-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> The config file conf/bblayers.conf seems to be required:
>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal
>  Unable to find conf/bblayers.conf
>  BitBake must be run from within your build directory: /home/local/p60_poky
>
> but the bitbake documentation says otherwise:
>                <para>BitBake will first search the current working directory
> for an optional "conf/bblayers.conf" configuration file. This file is
> expected to contain a BBLAYERS variable which is a space delimited list of
> 'layer' directories. For each directory in this list, a "conf/layer.conf"
> file will be searched for and parsed with the LAYERDIR variable being set to
> the directory where the layer was found. The idea is these files will setup
> BBPATH and other variables correctly for a given build directory
> automatically for the user.</para>
>
> Maybe the documentation should just read "required" instead of "optional"?

I think yes. Next action is a patch or bug report.

* Re: bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-10 16:09   ` Jeremy Puhlman
From: Jeremy Puhlman @ 2012-04-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On 4/9/2012 11:07 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> The config file conf/bblayers.conf seems to be required:
>>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal
>>  Unable to find conf/bblayers.conf
>>  BitBake must be run from within your build directory: /home/local/p60_poky
>>
>> but the bitbake documentation says otherwise:
>>                <para>BitBake will first search the current working directory
>> for an optional "conf/bblayers.conf" configuration file. This file is
>> expected to contain a BBLAYERS variable which is a space delimited list of
>> 'layer' directories. For each directory in this list, a "conf/layer.conf"
>> file will be searched for and parsed with the LAYERDIR variable being set to
>> the directory where the layer was found. The idea is these files will setup
>> BBPATH and other variables correctly for a given build directory
>> automatically for the user.</para>
>>
>> Maybe the documentation should just read "required" instead of "optional"?
>
> I think yes. Next action is a patch or bug report.

Hmmm you used to be able to run bitbake by just setting the BBPATH
variable in the environment, and not need a bblayers file. It is not the
suggested use case anymore, but looking at cooker I don't see anything
in there in the layer handling code that would preclude that use.

Also that final error message comes from the content bitbake script not
bitbake proper.

--
Jeremy Puhlman
Montavista Software, LLC.

* Re: bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-10 16:31     ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-04-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Puhlman; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Jeremy Puhlman <jpuhlman@mvista.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/2012 11:07 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>>> The config file conf/bblayers.conf seems to be required:
>>>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal
>>>  Unable to find conf/bblayers.conf
>>>  BitBake must be run from within your build directory: /home/local/p60_poky
>>>
>>> but the bitbake documentation says otherwise:
>>>                <para>BitBake will first search the current working directory
>>> for an optional "conf/bblayers.conf" configuration file. This file is
>>> expected to contain a BBLAYERS variable which is a space delimited list of
>>> 'layer' directories. For each directory in this list, a "conf/layer.conf"
>>> file will be searched for and parsed with the LAYERDIR variable being set to
>>> the directory where the layer was found. The idea is these files will setup
>>> BBPATH and other variables correctly for a given build directory
>>> automatically for the user.</para>
>>>
>>> Maybe the documentation should just read "required" instead of "optional"?
>>
>> I think yes. Next action is a patch or bug report.
>
> Hmmm you used to be able to run bitbake by just setting the BBPATH
> variable in the environment, and not need a bblayers file. It is not the
> suggested use case anymore, but looking at cooker I don't see anything
> in there in the layer handling code that would preclude that use.
>
> Also that final error message comes from the content bitbake script not
> bitbake proper.

Yeah, bitbake itself doesn't require bblayers.conf. If we *were* to
make the layer mechanism required by bitbake, then I'd say we should
implement it properly, rather than being a light convenience wrapper
around the use of BBPATH/BBFILES.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-10 16:54       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-04-10 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: bitbake-devel

> Yeah, bitbake itself doesn't require bblayers.conf.

right. I forgot about bitbake's life without OE :)

* Re: bblayers.conf is required?
@ 2012-04-10 20:14         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-04-10 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Chris Larson, bitbake-devel

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 09:54 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > Yeah, bitbake itself doesn't require bblayers.conf.
>
> right. I forgot about bitbake's life without OE :)

Its a backwards compatibility thing. When we implemented bblayers.conf
we left it backwards compatible with what went before. It will work if
BBPATH is set such that it can find a conf/bitbake.conf .

Cheers,

Richard