* amilo-rfkill: unsupported platform
@ 2012-04-16 13:12 Luis Henriques
From: Luis Henriques @ 2012-04-16 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings; +Cc: Matthew Garrett, linux-kernel

Hi Ben,

You have recently submitted a new rfkill driver for the Amilo A1655 and
M7440 models.  We have been using the fsam7400 driver[1] for the Amilo
M7440 and it would probably make sense to merge it into the amilo-rfkill.

However, the fsam7400 driver directly invokes BIOS code in order to turn
on/off the radio, instead of the methods used by the A1655 and M7440
driver.  This means the memory pages with the BIOS code would need to be
set as executable after the ioremap (which is probably a bad idea).

Are there any plans of merging this driver into the amilo-rfkill driver?

[1] http://www.iragan.com/linux/fsam7400/

Cheers,
--
Luis

* Re: amilo-rfkill: unsupported platform
@ 2012-04-16 13:46 ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2012-04-16 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Henriques; +Cc: Matthew Garrett, linux-kernel

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 14:12 +0100, Luis Henriques wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> You have recently submitted a new rfkill driver for the Amilo A1655 and
> M7440 models.  We have been using the fsam7400 driver[1] for the Amilo
> M7440 and it would probably make sense to merge it into the amilo-rfkill.
>
> However, the fsam7400 driver directly invokes BIOS code in order to turn
> on/off the radio, instead of the methods used by the A1655 and M7440
> driver.

Consistency, it's a wonderful thing.

> This means the memory pages with the BIOS code would need to be
> set as executable after the ioremap (which is probably a bad idea).
>
> Are there any plans of merging this driver into the amilo-rfkill driver?

I have no plans for this, but feel free to try it.

Ben.

> [1] http://www.iragan.com/linux/fsam7400/

--
Ben Hutchings
This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't.

* Re: amilo-rfkill: unsupported platform
@ 2012-04-16 19:35   ` Luis Henriques
From: Luis Henriques @ 2012-04-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hutchings; +Cc: Matthew Garrett, linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:46:01PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 14:12 +0100, Luis Henriques wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > You have recently submitted a new rfkill driver for the Amilo A1655 and
> > M7440 models.  We have been using the fsam7400 driver[1] for the Amilo
> > M7440 and it would probably make sense to merge it into the amilo-rfkill.
> >
> > However, the fsam7400 driver directly invokes BIOS code in order to turn
> > on/off the radio, instead of the methods used by the A1655 and M7440
> > driver.
>
> Consistency, it's a wonderful thing.

Definitely it is, but a very rare thing.

> > This means the memory pages with the BIOS code would need to be
> > set as executable after the ioremap (which is probably a bad idea).
> >
> > Are there any plans of merging this driver into the amilo-rfkill driver?
>
> I have no plans for this, but feel free to try it.

Ok, thanks for the update.

Cheers,
--
Luis