* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-03 11:56 Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi, I'm looking for the latest KVM-enabled developer version of the Linux kernel for ARM on the Versatile Express board with the Cortex-A15 CPU.?

I have pulled from these two trees

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=summary
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git;a=summary

But it seems the 2nd one is more up-to-date with KVM enablement while it doesn't have any support for the A15 VE board? And the 1st one doesn't support KVM on ARM with the ARMv7 virtualization extensions?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-03 13:24 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-03 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:56:39 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Jemma,

> Hi, I'm looking for the latest KVM-enabled developer version of the
Linux
> kernel for ARM on the Versatile Express board with the Cortex-A15 CPU.?

It really depends on what you call "developer version". As far as I know,
there is nothing but dev trees around ;-).

> I have pulled from these two trees

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=summary

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git;a=summary

> But it seems the 2nd one is more up-to-date with KVM enablement while it
> doesn't have any support for the A15 VE board? And the 1st one doesn't
> support KVM on ARM with the ARMv7 virtualization extensions?

First, my tree (the second one) does support the A15. Otherwise I'd have a
hard time testing my own code... Which branch are you looking at? Please
note that the KVM branches in this tree are under heavy development, and
are only suitable if you don't mind frequent rebases and regular breakage
due to bleeding edge code.

If you want something more stable, you probably want to have a look at
Christoffer Dall's tree:
https://github.com/virtualopensystems/linux-kvm-arm

You also may need to join the KVM-ARM mailing list (named android-virt for
historical reasons):

One last thing though: all our developments are done on the Cortex-A15
FastModel. In your email, you keep mentioning the VE board. For the time
being, we have nothing running on the real hardware, only on the model.

Good luck! ;-)

        M.
--
Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two.

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-03 13:35   ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:56:39 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Jemma,
>
>>  Hi, I'm looking for the latest KVM-enabled developer version of the
> Linux
>>  kernel for ARM on the Versatile Express board with the Cortex-A15 CPU.?
>
> It really depends on what you call "developer version". As far as I
> know,
> there is nothing but dev trees around ;-).
>
>>  I have pulled from these two trees
>>

> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=summary
>>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git;a=summary
>>
>>  But it seems the 2nd one is more up-to-date with KVM enablement while it
>>  doesn't have any support for the A15 VE board? And the 1st one
> doesn't
>>  support KVM on ARM with the ARMv7 virtualization extensions?
>
> First, my tree (the second one) does support the A15. Otherwise I'd have a
> hard time testing my own code... Which branch are you looking at? Please
> note that the KVM branches in this tree are under heavy development, and
> are only suitable if you don't mind frequent rebases and regular breakage
> due to bleeding edge code.

I'm currently on kvm-arm-v7-ael, because it looked like the most up-to-date one. Which one should I be using for Cortex-A15 support?

Thanks.

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-03 14:56     ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, 3 May 2012 14:35:55 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>

>> On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:56:39 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
>> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jemma,
>>
>>>  Hi, I'm looking for the latest KVM-enabled developer version of the
>> Linux
>>>  kernel for ARM on the Versatile Express board with the Cortex-A15
>>>  CPU.?
>>
>> It really depends on what you call "developer version". As far as I
>> know,
>> there is nothing but dev trees around ;-).
>>
>>>  I have pulled from these two trees

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=summary

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git;a=summary

>>>  But it seems the 2nd one is more up-to-date with KVM enablement while
>>>  it
>>>  doesn't have any support for the A15 VE board? And the 1st one
>> doesn't
>>>  support KVM on ARM with the ARMv7 virtualization extensions?
>>
>> First, my tree (the second one) does support the A15. Otherwise I'd
have
>> hard time testing my own code... Which branch are you looking at?
Please
>> note that the KVM branches in this tree are under heavy development,
and
>> are only suitable if you don't mind frequent rebases and regular
breakage
>> due to bleeding edge code.
>
> I'm currently on kvm-arm-v7-ael, because it looked like the most
> up-to-date one. Which one should I be using for Cortex-A15 support?

That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4 based one
at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.

        M.
--

@ 2012-05-04  8:44       ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-04  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On Thu, 3 May 2012 14:35:55 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>>

>>>  On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:56:39 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
>>>  <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi Jemma,

> of the
>>>  Linux
>>>
>>>  It really depends on what you call "developer version". As
> far as I
>>>  know,
>>>  there is nothing but dev trees around ;-).

> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=summary
>>>>

> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git;a=summary

> while
>
>>>  doesn't
>>>
>>>  First, my tree (the second one) does support the A15. Otherwise I'd
> have
>>>  hard time testing my own code... Which branch are you looking at?
> Please
>>>  note that the KVM branches in this tree are under heavy development,
> and
>>>  are only suitable if you don't mind frequent rebases and regular
> breakage
>>>  due to bleeding edge code.
>>
>>  I'm currently on kvm-arm-v7-ael, because it looked like the most
>>  up-to-date one. Which one should I be using for Cortex-A15 support?
>
> That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
> the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4 based one
> at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.

I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/ there is no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote above) you had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the .config as CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your kernel tree?

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-04 10:54         ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-04 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:44:07 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

>>>  I'm currently on kvm-arm-v7-ael, because it looked like the most
>>>  up-to-date one. Which one should I be using for Cortex-A15 support?
>>
>> That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
>> the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4 based
>> one
>> at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.
>
> I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/ there
is
> no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote above)
you
> had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the .config
as
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your kernel
> tree?

No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until the
VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.

As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no reason
to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
(kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this in
his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
dead as far as I am concerned.

If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on the
A15 board file, it is a dead end.

        M.
--

@ 2012-05-04 12:20           ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-04 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>
> On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:44:07 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> most
> support?
>>>
>>>  That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
>>>  the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4
> based
>>>  one
>>>  at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.
>>
>>  I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/ there
> is
>>  no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote above)
> you
>>  had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the .config
> as
>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your kernel
>>  tree?
>
> No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until the
> VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>
> As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no reason
> to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
> (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this in
> his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
> dead as far as I am concerned.
>
> If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on
> the
> A15 board file, it is a dead end.

Any chance you can send me a .config file that works on the kernel in this branch which runs on your A15x1 FastModel?

I'm using the boot-wrapper from http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in semi hosting mode.

I managed to boot Android from that but I don't seem to be able to boot your kernel. It just stops after the boot-wrapper says loading uImage.

I'll need some more time to debug it properly and give some more information but it would be useful if I had a working .config to compare mine to.

Cheers.

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-04 14:30           ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-04 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:44:07 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> most
> support?
>>>
>>>  That branch is good enough, if you have a bleeding edge QEMU. Note that
>>>  the VE A15 support in that tree is DT only. I'm working on a v3.4
> based
>>>  one
>>>  at the moment, but that's not completely ready yet.
>>
>>  I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/ there
> is
>>  no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote above)
> you
>>  had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the .config
> as
>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your kernel
>>  tree?
>
> No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until the
> VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>
> As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no reason
> to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
> (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this in
> his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
> dead as far as I am concerned.
>
> If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on
> the
> A15 board file, it is a dead end.

What would be the correct configuration of low-level kernel debugging for the A15 board? I'd like to have earlyprintk etc working.

When I set it to
Kernel low-level debugging port (No low-level debugging UART)

then I get the following error:

$ ARCH=arm make uImage
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
? CHK???? include/linux/version.h
? CHK???? include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
? CALL??? scripts/checksyscalls.sh
? CHK???? include/generated/compile.h
? AS????? arch/arm/kernel/debug.o
In file included from arch/arm/kernel/debug.S:104:0:
arch/arm/mach-vexpress/include/mach/debug-macro.S:26:2: error: #error "Unknown vexpress UART offset"
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/debug.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

If I just disable
[*] Kernel low-level debugging functions
then I don't seem to get any output at all.

What is the correct configuration?

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-05 11:04             ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-05 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:20:08 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

>> most
>> support?

>> based
>>>
>>>  I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/
there
>> is
>>>  no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote
above)
>> you
>>>  had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the
.config
>> as
>>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your
>>>  kernel
>>>  tree?
>>
>> No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
>> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until
>> the
>> VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>>
>> As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no
reason
>> to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
>> (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this
in
>> his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
>> dead as far as I am concerned.
>>
>> If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on
>> the
>> A15 board file, it is a dead end.
>
> Any chance you can send me a .config file that works on the kernel in
this
> branch which runs on your A15x1 FastModel?

Coming in a private email.

> I'm using the boot-wrapper from
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in
> semi hosting mode.
>
> I managed to boot Android from that but I don't seem to be able to boot
> your kernel. It just stops after the boot-wrapper says loading uImage.

Which dts file are you using?

        M.
--

@ 2012-05-05 11:08             ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-05 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Fri, 4 May 2012 15:30:27 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
<jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

>> most
>> support?

>> based
>>>
>>>  I'm just a little confused because under arch/arm/mach-vexpress/
there
>> is
>>>  no A15 tile? On the virtualopensystems.com git (which you quote
above)
>> you
>>>  had to explicitly enable the board and it would show up in the
.config
>> as
>>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4. Is that not the case anymore in your
>>>  kernel
>>>  tree?
>>
>> No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
>> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until
>> the
>> VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>>
>> As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no
reason
>> to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
>> (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this
in
>> his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
>> dead as far as I am concerned.
>>
>> If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't rely on
>> the
>> A15 board file, it is a dead end.
>
> What would be the correct configuration of low-level kernel debugging
for
> the A15 board? I'd like to have earlyprintk etc working.
>
> When I set it to
> Kernel low-level debugging port (No low-level debugging UART)
>
> then I get the following error:
>
> $ ARCH=arm make uImage
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> ? CHK???? include/linux/version.h
> ? CHK???? include/generated/utsrelease.h
> make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
> ? CALL??? scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> ? CHK???? include/generated/compile.h
> ? AS????? arch/arm/kernel/debug.o
> In file included from arch/arm/kernel/debug.S:104:0:
> arch/arm/mach-vexpress/include/mach/debug-macro.S:26:2: error: #error
> "Unknown vexpress UART offset"
> make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/debug.o] Error 1
> make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

Known problem with this kernel tree, fixed in kvm-arm-3.4.

> If I just disable
> [*] Kernel low-level debugging functions
> then I don't seem to get any output at all.

Because your kernel is probably crashing before the console is enabled.

> What is the correct configuration?

First, we have to understand why your kernel is crashing, and I have the
strong feeling it is DT related. I'm really curious of what dts file you're
using when building your uImage...

        M.
--

@ 2012-05-08 10:13               ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:20:08 +0100 (BST), Jemma Jones
> <jemmajones81@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> like the
>>>  most
> Cortex-A15
>>>  support?

> Note
> a v3.4
>>>  based

> arch/arm/mach-vexpress/
> there
>>>  is
> above)
>>>  you
> .config
>>>  as
>>>
>>>  No. The ARM tree in general is moving to the device tree, and
>>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 was always meant as a temporary hack until
>>>  the
>>>  VE-DT port was mature enough to be used.
>>>
>>>  As Pawe?'s DT work has been merged into 3.4, there is strictly no
> reason
>>>  to keep this hack around, and my recent trees do reflect that fact
>>>  (kvm-arm-v7-ael and kvm-arm-3.4). Christoffer may decide to keep this
> in
>>>  his tree during a transition period, but CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4 is
>>>  dead as far as I am concerned.
>>>
>>>  If you're just starting to play with KVM-ARM now, please don't
> rely on
>>>  the
>>>  A15 board file, it is a dead end.
>>
>>  Any chance you can send me a .config file that works on the kernel in
> this
>>  branch which runs on your A15x1 FastModel?
>
> Coming in a private email.

I didn't seem to get anything?

?
>>  I'm using the boot-wrapper from
>>  http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in
>>  semi hosting mode.
>>
>>  I managed to boot Android from that but I don't seem to be able to boot
>>  your kernel. It just stops after the boot-wrapper says loading uImage.
>
> Which dts file are you using?

I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I assume that one is used then for my kernel image?

My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y

Or is that not correct?

I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.

But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done." and then does nothing.
I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.

Cheers
Jemma

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-08 10:52                 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/05/12 11:13, Jemma Jones wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>>>  Any chance you can send me a .config file that works on the kernel in
>> this
>>>  branch which runs on your A15x1 FastModel?
>>
>> Coming in a private email.
>
> I didn't seem to get anything?

As far as I'm concerned, it was delivered:

2012-05-05 13:09:33 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX <= maz at misterjones.org U=www-data P=local S=59827 id=7da4dd4bd4f768d907094ce4919bfffe@localhost
2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX => jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [77.238.184.241]
2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX Completed

I'll resend it again, but you may want to check your spam folder.

>>>  I'm using the boot-wrapper from
>>>  http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in
>>>  semi hosting mode.
>>>
>>>  I managed to boot Android from that but I don't seem to be able to boot
>>>  your kernel. It just stops after the boot-wrapper says loading uImage.
>>
>> Which dts file are you using?
>
> I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I assume that one is used then for my kernel image?
>
> My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
> CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
> CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
>
> Or is that not correct?

First, you want to forget about anything TC1 related, it isn't what you need for the Fast Model.

Step by step instructions:
- Grab Pawe?'s DTS tree: git://linux-arm.org/arm-dts.git
- Build your zImage
- From your kernel tree, run:
  ./script/dtc/dtc -O dtb -o rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb wherever_your_arm-dts_tree_is/fast_models/rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dts
- cat rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb >>arch/arm/boot/zImage
- Build your uImage if that's what you're using.
- Build your boot-wrapper as usual.

That should get you going.

> I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.

That's very brave of you... ;-)

> But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done." and then does nothing.
> I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.

Let me know if it gets better with the above. Or not.

	M.

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-08 11:47                   ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-08 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
>
> On 08/05/12 11:13, Jemma Jones wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
> in
>>>  this
>>>
>>>  Coming in a private email.
>>
>>  I didn't seem to get anything?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, it was delivered:
>
> 2012-05-05 13:09:33 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX <= maz@misterjones.org U=www-data
> P=local S=59827 id=7da4dd4bd4f768d907094ce4919bfffe at localhost
> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX => jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp H=mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [77.238.184.241]
> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX Completed
>
> I'll resend it again, but you may want to check your spam folder.

Got it, thanks!

?
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in

> able to boot
> uImage.
>>>
>>>  Which dts file are you using?
>>
>>  I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the
> DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I
> assume that one is used then for my kernel image?
>>
>>  My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
>>  CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
>>  CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
>>
>>  Or is that not correct?
>
> First, you want to forget about anything TC1 related, it isn't what you need
> for the Fast Model.
>
> Step by step instructions:
> - Grab Pawe?'s DTS tree: git://linux-arm.org/arm-dts.git
> - Build your zImage
> - From your kernel tree, run:
> ? ./script/dtc/dtc -O dtb -o rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb
> wherever_your_arm-dts_tree_is/fast_models/rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dts
> - cat rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb >>arch/arm/boot/zImage
> - Build your uImage if that's what you're using.
> - Build your boot-wrapper as usual.
>
> That should get you going.
>
>>  I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.
>
> That's very brave of you... ;-)
>
>>  But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't
> seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done."
> and then does nothing.
>>  I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.
>
> Let me know if it gets better with the above. Or not.

Yep, thanks, now the kernel boots!

Jemma

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-08 13:54                   ` Jemma Jones
From: Jemma Jones @ 2012-05-08 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

> On 08/05/12 11:13, Jemma Jones wrote:
>>>  Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?
> in
>>>  this
>>>
>>>  Coming in a private email.
>>
>>  I didn't seem to get anything?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, it was delivered:
>
> 2012-05-05 13:09:33 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX <= maz@misterjones.org U=www-data
> P=local S=59827 id=7da4dd4bd4f768d907094ce4919bfffe at localhost
> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX => jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp H=mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [77.238.184.241]
> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX Completed
>
> I'll resend it again, but you may want to check your spam folder.

> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in

> able to boot
> uImage.
>>>
>>>  Which dts file are you using?
>>
>>  I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the
> DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I
> assume that one is used then for my kernel image?
>>
>>  My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
>>  CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
>>  CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
>>
>>  Or is that not correct?
>
> First, you want to forget about anything TC1 related, it isn't what you need
> for the Fast Model.
>
> Step by step instructions:
> - Grab Pawe?'s DTS tree: git://linux-arm.org/arm-dts.git
> - Build your zImage
> - From your kernel tree, run:
> ? ./script/dtc/dtc -O dtb -o rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb
> wherever_your_arm-dts_tree_is/fast_models/rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dts
> - cat rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb >>arch/arm/boot/zImage
> - Build your uImage if that's what you're using.
> - Build your boot-wrapper as usual.
>
> That should get you going.
>
>>  I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.
>
> That's very brave of you... ;-)
>
>>  But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't
> seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done."
> and then does nothing.
>>  I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.
>
> Let me know if it gets better with the above. Or not.

It seems as if the CLCD driver is not yet working in this configuration? It does not load for me, because the clcdfb_probe() function fails with board = dev->dev.platform_data being NULL. Is the platform initialization not setting this?

Jemma

* Development tree for Cortex-A15?
@ 2012-05-08 13:59                     ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2012-05-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/05/12 14:54, Jemma Jones wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Development tree for Cortex-A15?

>> in

>>>  I didn't seem to get anything?
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, it was delivered:
>>
>> 2012-05-05 13:09:33 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX <= maz@misterjones.org U=www-data
>> P=local S=59827 id=7da4dd4bd4f768d907094ce4919bfffe at localhost
>> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX => jemmajones81 at yahoo.co.uk R=dnslookup
>> T=remote_smtp H=mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [77.238.184.241]
>> 2012-05-05 13:09:34 1SQcrl-0006uI-OX Completed
>>
>> I'll resend it again, but you may want to check your spam folder.

>> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=arm/models/boot-wrapper.git;a=summary in

>> able to boot
>> uImage.

>>>  I don't quite understand yet how the DT stuff is used. When I build the
>> DTB files then I get vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb in my arch/arm/boot directory. I
>> assume that one is used then for my kernel image?
>>>
>>>  My .config has all the DT stuff enabled I think:
>>>  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
>>>  CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB=y
>>>  CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT=y
>>>
>>>  Or is that not correct?
>>
>> First, you want to forget about anything TC1 related, it isn't what you need
>> for the Fast Model.
>>
>> Step by step instructions:
>> - Grab Pawe?'s DTS tree: git://linux-arm.org/arm-dts.git
>> - Build your zImage
>> - From your kernel tree, run:
>>   ./script/dtc/dtc -O dtb -o rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb
>> wherever_your_arm-dts_tree_is/fast_models/rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dts
>> - cat rtsm_ve-cortex_a15x2.dtb >>arch/arm/boot/zImage
>> - Build your uImage if that's what you're using.
>> - Build your boot-wrapper as usual.
>>
>> That should get you going.
>>
>>>  I have now updated to you latest kvm-arm-3.4 branch.
>>
>> That's very brave of you... ;-)
>>
>>>  But the kernel still does not boot up properly, or at least I don't
>> seem to get any output. It just goes "Uncompressing Linux... done."
>> and then does nothing.
>>>  I'm using the FastModel Cortex-A15x2 simulation.
>>
>> Let me know if it gets better with the above. Or not.
>>

> It seems as if the CLCD driver is not yet working in this configuration? It does not load for me, because the clcdfb_probe() function fails with board = dev->dev.platform_data being NULL. Is the platform initialization not setting this?

No. There is no binding for CLCD, and I've refrained from adding more
hacks to my tree. If you want to tackle the task of writing a CLCD
binding and porting the driver to DT, be my guest! :)

	M.