* Submodule status inside nested submodule fails
@ 2012-02-24  9:53 Charles Brossollet
From: Charles Brossollet @ 2012-02-24  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello there,

Using MSysGit 1.7.9 on Win7 (64 bit), I have a repo with the following
structure:

main/
  src/
  ext/
    submodule/
       modules/module1
       modules/module2

submodule is... a submodule, having itself submodules.

When I query submodule status --recursive in main/, no problem.
But when I query submodule status in  ext/submodule, I get error "You need to
run this command from the toplevel of the working tree.", which is a wrong
error message.

Searching for message in git source I found the test triggering the message to
be an empty result for "git rev-parse --show-cdup". Running the command in
ext/submodule strangely returns the *absolute* path of ext/submodule, which
should not happen because this command returns path of current dir relative to
the containing working tree.

Is there something wrong with my repo? Or have I found a bug? Any help
appreciated

Charles

* Re: Submodule status inside nested submodule fails
@ 2012-02-24 13:41 ` Charles Brossollet
From: Charles Brossollet @ 2012-02-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Charles Brossollet <chbrosso <at> lltech.fr> writes:

> Searching for message in git source I found the test triggering the message to
> be an empty result for "git rev-parse --show-cdup". Running the command in
> ext/submodule strangely returns the *absolute* path of ext/submodule, which
> should not happen because this command returns path of current dir relative to
> the containing working tree.

Things are OK if I run the commands from Windows' CMD, but it fails when run in
MinGW shell, so I believe the problem is related to MsysGit, discussion follows
up on their list.

* Re: Submodule status inside nested submodule fails
@ 2012-05-08 18:11   ` rollinsdr
From: rollinsdr @ 2012-05-08 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I'm having the same issue. Did it ever get resolved, or is there a hack to
fix it, or is there some link I can track it on?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Charles Brossollet wrote

> Charles Brossollet <chbrosso <at> lltech.fr> writes:
> Using MSysGit 1.7.9 on Win7 (64 bit), I have a repo with the following
> structure:
>
> main/
>   src/
>   ext/
>     submodule/
>        modules/module1
>        modules/module2
>
> submodule is... a submodule, having itself submodules.
>
> When I query submodule status --recursive in main/, no problem.
> But when I query submodule status in  ext/submodule, I get error "You need
> run this command from the toplevel of the working tree.", which is a wrong
> error message.
>
> Searching for message in git source I found the test triggering the
> message to
> be an empty result for "git rev-parse --show-cdup". Running the command in
> ext/submodule strangely returns the *absolute* path of ext/submodule,
> which
> should not happen because this command returns path of current dir
> relative to
> the containing working tree.
>
> Is there something wrong with my repo? Or have I found a bug? Any help
> appreciated

Charles Brossollet wrote

@ 2012-05-09 21:34     ` Heiko Voigt
From: Heiko Voigt @ 2012-05-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rollinsdr; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 11:11:15AM -0700, rollinsdr@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm having the same issue. Did it ever get resolved, or is there a hack to
> fix it, or is there some link I can track it on?
>

> Charles Brossollet wrote
> >
> > Charles Brossollet <chbrosso <at> lltech.fr> writes:
> > Using MSysGit 1.7.9 on Win7 (64 bit), I have a repo with the following
> > structure:
> >
> > main/
> >   src/
> >   ext/
> >     submodule/
> >        modules/module1
> >        modules/module2
> >
> > submodule is... a submodule, having itself submodules.
> >
> > When I query submodule status --recursive in main/, no problem.
> > But when I query submodule status in  ext/submodule, I get error "You need

Without having looked at the code itself this smells like an issue with
the newly introduced gitlink files and git rev-parse --show-cdup not
taking this into account.

I will have a look at this issue.

Cheers Heiko

* Re: Submodule status inside nested submodule fails
@ 2012-05-10  1:40       ` rollinsdr
From: rollinsdr @ 2012-05-10  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Thanks Heiko,

Heiko Voigt-3 wrote

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 11:11:15AM -0700, rollinsdr@ wrote:
>> I'm having the same issue. Did it ever get resolved, or is there a hack
>> fix it, or is there some link I can track it on?
>>

>> Charles Brossollet wrote
>> >
>> > Charles Brossollet <chbrosso <at> lltech.fr> writes:
>> > Using MSysGit 1.7.9 on Win7 (64 bit), I have a repo with the following
>> > structure:
>> >
>> > main/
>> >   src/
>> >   ext/
>> >     submodule/
>> >        modules/module1
>> >        modules/module2
>> >
>> > submodule is... a submodule, having itself submodules.
>> >
>> > When I query submodule status --recursive in main/, no problem.
>> > But when I query submodule status in  ext/submodule, I get error "You
>> need
>
> Without having looked at the code itself this smells like an issue with
> the newly introduced gitlink files and git rev-parse --show-cdup not
> taking this into account.
>
> I will have a look at this issue.
>
> Cheers Heiko

Actually the issue went away once I upgraded from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10, and
re-cloned my repo. I guess it was fixed in 1.7.10, but some stuff in the
config files had to be rewritten during the new clone to fix the issue b/c
just switching to 1.7.10 and trying to use the existing repo still had the
same issue.

Thanks for all the work you guys do!
DAVE