* python-pygobject fails to find python-dev package
@ 2012-05-20 15:39 Joshua Immanuel
From: Joshua Immanuel @ 2012-05-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Hello,

The do_configure for python-pygobject fails with the following error
message

> | checking for headers required to compile python extensions... not found
> | configure: error: could not find Python headers

The configure script tries to find "Python.h" file and fails
subsequently. The required package for this is python-dev. I can find
this package in the bitbake environment for python

$ bitbake -e python | grep ^PACKAGES=
PACKAGES="libpython2 python-dbg python-audio python-bsddb python-codecs
python-compile python-compiler python-compression python-core
python-crypt python-ctypes python-curses python-datetime python-db
python-debugger python-dev python-difflib python-distutils
python-doctest python-elementtree python-email python-fcntl python-gdbm
python-hotshot python-html python-idle python-image python-io
python-json python-lang python-logging python-mailbox python-math
python-mime python-mmap python-multiprocessing python-netclient
python-netserver python-numbers python-pickle python-pkgutil
python-pprint python-profile python-pydoc python-re python-readline
python-resource python-robotparser python-shell python-smtpd
python-sqlite3 python-sqlite3-tests python-stringold python-subprocess
python-syslog python-terminal python-tests python-textutils
python-threading python-tkinter python-unittest python-unixadmin
python-xml python-xmlrpc python-zlib python-modules python-misc
python-man"

In my recipe which RDEPENDS on python-pygobject, If I specify

        DEPENDS += "python-dev"

bitbake complains for "Missing or unbuildable dependency chain".
Specifying DEPENDS as just "python" doesn't solve the missing Python
header error for python-pygobject. How do I address this issue? Maybe I
am missing something trivial. Please enlighten me.

Regards
--
Joshua Immanuel
HiPro IT Solutions Private Limited