* Where to go for advice on local policy secuirity implications
@ 2012-05-28 15:54 James B. Byrne
From: James B. Byrne @ 2012-05-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

We employ a third-party Apache module (passenger aka mod-rails) to
handle our Ruby-on-Rails web applications.  Because of the lack of
SELinux awareness built into the module we currently run these on an
isolated virtual host in SE permissive mode.

We are in the process of examining whether it is possible to create a
local policy for Passenger which will allow it to run in enforcing
mode but not open the system to other exploits. We would like to know
if there is any on-line venue where the security aspects of specific
policy elements might be discussed.

Is there such a resource?  If so, can anyone here provide the reference?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

* Re: Where to go for advice on local policy secuirity implications
@ 2012-05-28 20:16 ` Dominick Grift
From: Dominick Grift @ 2012-05-28 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James B. Byrne; +Cc: selinux

On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 11:54 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> We would like to know
> if there is any on-line venue where the security aspects of specific
> policy elements might be discussed.

There is a list with many of the security classes and their av
permissions with small descriptions here:

http://www.selinuxproject.org/page/ObjectClassesPerms

This information can be used as a guide to more information available on
Internet.

There is more information available at www.selinuxproject.org

I hope this helps

* Re: Where to go for advice on local policy secuirity implications
@ 2012-05-29 14:23 ` Daniel J Walsh
From: Daniel J Walsh @ 2012-05-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James B. Byrne; +Cc: selinux

* Re: Where to go for advice on local policy secuirity implications
@ 2012-05-29 14:49   ` James B. Byrne
From: James B. Byrne @ 2012-05-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J Walsh; +Cc: selinux

On Tue, May 29, 2012 10:23, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 11:54 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> We are in the process of examining whether it is possible to
>> create a local policy for Passenger which will allow it to
>> run in enforcing mode but not open the system to other
>> exploits. We would like to know if there is any on-line venue
>> where the security aspects of specific policy elements
>> might be discussed.
>>
>> Is there such a resource?  If so, can anyone here provide the
>> reference?
>>

> Why not just email to refpolicy list the rules you want to allow
> along with the AVC's.  If there is security info you do not want
> to reveal, I would be willing to look at them.

Thank you.  The refpolicy list is the reference I was seeking. I will
inquire there.

We have no unusually sensitive security issues with revealing the avcs
and recommended policies.  At the present time the server is running
in permissive mode so any action which offers us the hope of setting
it to enforcing is a step in the right direction.