* Gave up waiting for root device
@ 2012-06-13  4:58 Mahmood Naderan
From: Mahmood Naderan @ 2012-06-13  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Dear all
While setting up  a diskless cluster from this guide

(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto),
clients end up with this message:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
– Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
– Check root =(did the system wait for right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/nfs does not exist. Dropping to a shell!!

In that guide /dev/nfs is used twice: 1) in /nfsroot/etc/fstab and 2)

in /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

I don't know why it complain... Can somebody help?

// Naderan *Mahmood;

* Re: Gave up waiting for root device
@ 2012-06-13 14:05 ` Chuck Lever
From: Chuck Lever @ 2012-06-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahmood Naderan; +Cc: nfs

On Jun 13, 2012, at 12:58 AM, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> Dear all
> While setting up  a diskless cluster from this guide
>
> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto),
> clients end up with this message:
>
> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> – Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
> – Check root =(did the system wait for right device?)
> - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
> ALERT! /dev/nfs does not exist. Dropping to a shell!!
>
> In that guide /dev/nfs is used twice: 1) in /nfsroot/etc/fstab and 2)
>
> in /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
>

> I don't know why it complain... Can somebody help?

To start, search the archives of this mailing list.  There have been a spate of bugs in this area over the past year or so that hit only during certain edge conditions.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com