* "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-05  6:51 casinee app
From: casinee app @ 2012-06-05  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SE-Linux

when i execute #restorecon -R / , all the output is "... operation not
support".  I had check the source code, and in
linux/security/selinux/hooks.c :
sbsec = inode->i_sb->s_security;
if (!(sbsec->flags & SE_SBLABELSUPP))
{
return -EOPNOTSUPP;
}
it returned. The  SE_SBLABELSUPP defined as 0x40, i want to know how can i
do to make the filesystem to support the SecurityContext of selinux.
Thanks.

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-05 11:04 ` David Quigley
From: David Quigley @ 2012-06-05 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casinee app; +Cc: SE-Linux

On 06/05/2012 02:51, casinee app wrote:
> Hi,
> when i execute #restorecon -R / , all the output is "... operation
> not support".  I had check the source code, and in
> linux/security/selinux/hooks.c :

>  sbsec = inode->i_sb->s_security;
>  if (!(sbsec->flags & SE_SBLABELSUPP))
>  {
>  return -EOPNOTSUPP;
>  }
> it returned. The  SE_SBLABELSUPP defined as 0x40, i want to know how
> can i do to make the filesystem to support the SecurityContext of
> selinux.
> Thanks.

Which filesystem is this?

Dave

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-06  1:34   ` casinee app
From: casinee app @ 2012-06-06  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Quigley; +Cc: SE-Linux

the NFS. I had applied a patch to the kernel to support the xattr of NFS
filesystem.

@ 2012-06-12 20:40     ` David Quigley
From: David Quigley @ 2012-06-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casinee app; +Cc: SE-Linux

On 06/05/2012 21:34, casinee app wrote:
> the NFS. I had applied a patch to the kernel to support the xattr of
> NFS filesystem.
>
> 2012/6/5 David Quigley <selinux@davequigley.com>
>
>> On 06/05/2012 02:51, casinee app wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> when i execute #restorecon -R / , all the output is "... operation
>>> not support".  I had check the source code, and in
>>> linux/security/selinux/hooks.c :

>>>  sbsec = inode->i_sb->s_security;
>>>  if (!(sbsec->flags & SE_SBLABELSUPP))
>>>  {
>>>  return -EOPNOTSUPP;
>>>  }
>>> it returned. The  SE_SBLABELSUPP defined as 0x40, i want to know
>>> how
>>> can i do to make the filesystem to support the SecurityContext of
>>> selinux.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Which filesystem is this?
>>
>> Dave

Where did you get this patch? Is it supposed to be generic xattr
support in NFS? if so what version?

Dave

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-13  2:29       ` casinee app
From: casinee app @ 2012-06-13  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Quigley; +Cc: SE-Linux

2012/6/13 David Quigley <selinux@davequigley.com>:
> On 06/05/2012 21:34, casinee app wrote:
>>
>> the NFS. I had applied a patch to the kernel to support the xattr of
>> NFS filesystem.

>>> Which filesystem is this?
>>>
>>> Dave
>

> Where did you get this patch? Is it supposed to be generic xattr support in
> NFS? if so what version?

I got the patch from the website  http://namei.org/nfsxattr/ .  After
i applied the patch,
when i config the kernel, i can see the options like this:
<*>   NFS client support
  [*]     NFS client support for NFS version 3
  [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
  [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol extension (EXPERIMENTAL)
  [*]     Extended attributes in the user namespace (EXPERIMENTAL)
  [*]   NFS client support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
  [*]   Root file system on NFS
 <M>   NFS server support
    -*-     NFS server support for NFS version 3
   [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
   [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol extension
(EXPERIMENTAL)
   [*]     NFS server support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)

@ 2012-06-13 16:16         ` Casey Schaufler
From: Casey Schaufler @ 2012-06-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casinee app; +Cc: David Quigley, SE-Linux, Casey Schaufler

On 6/12/2012 7:29 PM, casinee app wrote:
> 2012/6/13 David Quigley <selinux@davequigley.com>:
>> On 06/05/2012 21:34, casinee app wrote:
>>> the NFS. I had applied a patch to the kernel to support the xattr of
>>> NFS filesystem.

>> Where did you get this patch? Is it supposed to be generic xattr support in
>> NFS? if so what version?
>>
> I got the patch from the website  http://namei.org/nfsxattr/ .  After
> i applied the patch,
> when i config the kernel, i can see the options like this:
> <*>   NFS client support
>   [*]     NFS client support for NFS version 3
>   [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
>   [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol extension (EXPERIMENTAL)
>   [*]     Extended attributes in the user namespace (EXPERIMENTAL)
>   [*]   NFS client support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>   [*]   Root file system on NFS
>  <M>   NFS server support
>     -*-     NFS server support for NFS version 3
>    [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
>    [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol extension
> (EXPERIMENTAL)
>    [*]     NFS server support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)

Ah, James' generic xattr patches. Very useful, fully functional, the
right thing is every way and totally despised by the NFS and IETF crowd.
They're fine to use for experimental purposes, but it is hard to imagine
them ever getting upstream.

@ 2012-06-13 18:17           ` David Quigley
From: David Quigley @ 2012-06-13 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Schaufler; +Cc: casinee app, SE-Linux

On 06/13/2012 12:16, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 6/12/2012 7:29 PM, casinee app wrote:

>>> Where did you get this patch? Is it supposed to be generic xattr
>>> support in
>>> NFS? if so what version?
>>>
>> I got the patch from the website  http://namei.org/nfsxattr/ .
>> After
>> i applied the patch,
>> when i config the kernel, i can see the options like this:
>> <*>   NFS client support
>>   [*]     NFS client support for NFS version 3
>>   [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
>>   [*]   NFS client support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol extension
>> (EXPERIMENTAL)
>>   [*]     Extended attributes in the user namespace (EXPERIMENTAL)
>>   [*]   NFS client support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>>   [*]   Root file system on NFS
>>  <M>   NFS server support
>>     -*-     NFS server support for NFS version 3
>>    [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 ACL protocol extension
>>    [*]       NFS server support for the NFSv3 XATTR protocol
>> extension
>> (EXPERIMENTAL)
>>    [*]     NFS server support for NFS version 4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>
> Ah, James' generic xattr patches. Very useful, fully functional, the
> right thing is every way and totally despised by the NFS and IETF
> crowd.
> They're fine to use for experimental purposes, but it is hard to
> imagine
> them ever getting upstream.
>

>>> Dave
>>>

>> --

Proper XATTR support is not despised by the IETF. Trond at one point
proposed to do XATTRS for NFSv4. However it is not the ideal solution
for security attributes. The security attribute should be a first class
citizen as it is in other UNIX like operating systems. Just because
Linux has crammed it into an XATTR doesn't mean that NFSv4 or FreeBSD or
Solaris or any number of other systems should be forced to do it as
well.

The main reason these patches weren't taken is because everyone is
strongly encouraging people to migrate away from NFSv3 and onto NFSv4.
Having this kind of support in NFSv3 is a bad idea for two fold. One it
will hinder migration to NFSv4 when it should happen and two it will
never be part of the standard. This means this extension will be Linux
only and not work with any of the other standards compliant hardware.
This is the reason Labeled NFS is taking so long to get in the kernel.
The Linux NFS maintainers don't want Linux specific extensions stuck in
the kernel with no backing by storage vendors. Lets be honest here most
if not all enterprises are using NetApp/EMC/Panases/Etc.... network
storage appliances. They aren't sticking a Linux server with raid
controllers in it on their network to keep track of their important
data. So something that is a Linux specific extension does no one any
good.

That being said the ideal person to contact to find out why it isn't
working would be James Morris. If he wants to keep the patches up to
date he is welcome to but this was a stop gap method until we got
Labeled NFS in the kernel. It was determined that NFSv4 with Labeled NFS
was the proper solution to the problem.

Dave

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-13 18:36             ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2012-06-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Quigley; +Cc: Casey Schaufler, casinee app, SE-Linux

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 14:17 -0400, David Quigley wrote:
> That being said the ideal person to contact to find out why it isn't
> working would be James Morris. If he wants to keep the patches up to
> date he is welcome to but this was a stop gap method until we got
> Labeled NFS in the kernel. It was determined that NFSv4 with Labeled NFS
> was the proper solution to the problem.

Isn't the problem just that he needs to modify his policy so that
SELinux knows to use the xattr support for nfsv3?  fs_use_xattr

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-13 18:42               ` David Quigley
From: David Quigley @ 2012-06-13 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: Casey Schaufler, casinee app, SE-Linux

On 06/13/2012 14:36, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 14:17 -0400, David Quigley wrote:
>> That being said the ideal person to contact to find out why it isn't
>> working would be James Morris. If he wants to keep the patches up to
>> date he is welcome to but this was a stop gap method until we got
>> Labeled NFS in the kernel. It was determined that NFSv4 with Labeled
>> NFS
>> was the proper solution to the problem.
>
> Isn't the problem just that he needs to modify his policy so that
> SELinux knows to use the xattr support for nfsv3?  fs_use_xattr

I can't say for sure but that would definitely be the first place to
start. I'm not sure if that code path has changed since James released
the patches. If it hasn't then its just a simple policy change. If it
has his initial assumptions might not hold true and he may need to
modify something in the NFS mount handling code.

* Re: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-13 19:00               ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2012-06-13 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Quigley; +Cc: Casey Schaufler, casinee app, SE-Linux

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 14:36 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 14:17 -0400, David Quigley wrote:
> > That being said the ideal person to contact to find out why it isn't
> > working would be James Morris. If he wants to keep the patches up to
> > date he is welcome to but this was a stop gap method until we got
> > Labeled NFS in the kernel. It was determined that NFSv4 with Labeled NFS
> > was the proper solution to the problem.
>
> Isn't the problem just that he needs to modify his policy so that
> SELinux knows to use the xattr support for nfsv3?  fs_use_xattr

So, to clarify, if he is using nfsv3 (not nfsv4) and wants SELinux to
use the xattr support from James' patches, he needs to add a line like
the following to his policy:
fs_use_xattr nfs gen_context(system_u:object_r:fs_t,s0);

See the examples in policy/modules/kernel/filesystem.te if using
refpolicy.

Then the filesystem will be treated as supporting security labels and
restorecon will work (or at least get past that particular error).

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* RE: "operation not support" when execute #restorecon -R /
@ 2012-06-13 20:24             ` Vu, Joseph
From: Vu, Joseph @ 2012-06-13 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Quigley, Casey Schaufler; +Cc: casinee app, SE-Linux

Dave,

I am a new Linux user and really interested in using the Labeled NFS.
Thank you for clarifying the patch intention.

I have been following the discussion on the Draft requirement of the Labeled NFS on IETF org.

For the purpose of planning, I am interested in finding the planning on when the Labeled NFS would be available.
Is there a plan in place for the Labeled NFS?

Thanks,

Joe