* [Buildroot] X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
@ 2015-10-21 16:59 Lennart Ramberg
From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Maybe not a proper Builroot question, but:
X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
There is no xorg.conf (to edit the ServerFlags section).
I was thinking maybe an overlay with an edited xorg.conf?

Thanks in advance
Lennart

My defconfig:
BR2_x86_i686=y
BR2_KERNEL_HEADERS_3_18=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT_GLIBC=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT_CXX=y
BR2_ROOTFS_DEVICE_CREATION_DYNAMIC_MDEV=y
# BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_GETTY is not set
BR2_ROOTFS_OVERLAY="board/eta/board1/rootfs-overlay/"
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_SAME_AS_HEADERS=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG="i386"
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INSTALL_TARGET=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XORG7=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XSERVER_XORG_SERVER=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XAPP_TWM=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XAPP_XCLOCK=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XAPP_XINIT=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XAPP_XWD=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XDRIVER_XF86_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XDRIVER_XF86_INPUT_MOUSE=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XDRIVER_XF86_VIDEO_INTEL=y
BR2_PACKAGE_XTERM=y
BR2_PACKAGE_FLUXBOX=y
BR2_PACKAGE_PYTHON=y
BR2_PACKAGE_SQLITE=y
BR2_PACKAGE_LIBGTK2=y
BR2_PACKAGE_LIBCURL=y
BR2_PACKAGE_NTP=y
BR2_PACKAGE_OPENSSH=y
BR2_PACKAGE_SUPERVISOR=y
BR2_PACKAGE_NANO=y
# BR2_PACKAGE_NANO_TINY is not set
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2=y
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_BLOCKS=1000000
BR2_TARGET_GRUB2=y
---
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
@ 2015-10-21 17:02 ` Bjørn Forsman
From: Bjørn Forsman @ 2015-10-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 21 October 2015 at 18:59, Lennart Ramberg <ramberg.lennart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe not a proper Builroot question, but:
> X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
> There is no xorg.conf (to edit the ServerFlags section).
> I was thinking maybe an overlay with an edited xorg.conf?

Have you tried adding "consoleblank=0" to the kernel command line? (I
_think_ that should do it.)

Best regards,
Bj?rn Forsman

* [Buildroot] X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
@ 2015-10-22  7:44   ` Lennart Ramberg
From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-22  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks for the quick reply.
However, I had no success. Screen still blanks after 10 min (unless
keyb/mouse activity).
I assume this is what you meant:

# cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default="0"
set timeout="3"

menuentry "Buildroot" {
        linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1 consoleblank=0
}

Regards
Lennart

@ 2015-10-22 10:42     ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2015-10-22 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Supposing that you are not running a screen saver daemon live "xscreensaver", I guess the screen goes blank (black?) due to the X server itself, not the Linux kernel. Try using

    $ xset q

to display the screen saver timeout and

    $ xset s off

to disable the screen saver.

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Bj?rn Forsman < bjorn.forsman@gmail.com >
> wrote:

>> On 21 October 2015 at 18:59, Lennart Ramberg < ramberg.lennart@gmail.com >
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,

>> > Maybe not a proper Builroot question, but:
>> > X11: How do I prevent the target screen from going black after 10 minutes?
>> > There is no xorg.conf (to edit the ServerFlags section).
>> > I was thinking maybe an overlay with an edited xorg.conf?

>> Have you tried adding "consoleblank=0" to the kernel command line? (I
>> _think_ that should do it.)

>> Best regards,
>> Bj?rn Forsman

Carlos Santos (Casantos)
DATACOM, P&D

@ 2015-10-22 10:54       ` Lennart Ramberg
From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-22 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks, however:

# xset q
-sh: xset: not found

And yes, it goes black.

Regards
Lennart

@ 2015-10-22 11:10         ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2015-10-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-23  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

This worked:
# DISPLAY=:0 xset s off -dpms   (Skipped consoleblank=0 in grub.cfg)
But it won't persist a restart.

I guess a script could run it after boot, alternativerly I could make an
xorg.conf.
How should Buildroot arrange such a script to be run automatically after
boot?
I assume avoiding xorg.conf would be more modern/better. Or?

Regards
Lennart

@ 2015-10-23  9:17             ` Lennart Ramberg
From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Me again,
Sorry for jumping at the gun;
A script could of course be run where I start my other programs.

But still, any opinions about xset vs. xorg.conf?
/Lennart

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Lennart Ramberg <ramberg.lennart@gmail.com

@ 2015-10-23 11:59               ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2015-10-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

The effect is the same in both cases but if you need to disable screensaver always and permanently then xorg.conf is the best choice, since it can be done statically, at build time.

Carlos Santos (Casantos)
DATACOM, P&D

@ 2015-10-24  6:45                 ` Lennart Ramberg
From: Lennart Ramberg @ 2015-10-24  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)