* [amdgpu] Compute kernels still run when the host process exit?
@ 2021-04-01 14:07 Smith John
From: Smith John @ 2021-04-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx

Hi, when I killed an OpenCL host process, the kernels it launched were not
terminated, and still run.

My OpenCL runtime is AMDGPU-PRO 20.20. OS Ubuntu 18.04.5 with  Linux Kernel
5.4.53

I was wondering if it was a bug or the driver did not implement this
"watchdog" mechanism.

* Re: [amdgpu] Compute kernels still run when the host process exit?
@ 2021-04-01 18:22 ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2021-04-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith John; +Cc: amd-gfx list

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Smith John <ls.cat.kth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, when I killed an OpenCL host process, the kernels it launched were not terminated, and still run.
>
> My OpenCL runtime is AMDGPU-PRO 20.20. OS Ubuntu 18.04.5 with  Linux Kernel 5.4.53
>
> I was wondering if it was a bug or the driver did not implement this "watchdog" mechanism.

In general, once you issue work on the GPU it has to run to
completion.  It is not stopped if the application that issued it goes
away.

Alex

* Re: [amdgpu] Compute kernels still run when the host process exit?
@ 2021-04-06 15:35   ` Felix Kuehling
From: Felix Kuehling @ 2021-04-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, Smith John; +Cc: amd-gfx list

Am 2021-04-01 um 2:22 p.m. schrieb Alex Deucher:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Smith John <ls.cat.kth@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, when I killed an OpenCL host process, the kernels it launched were not terminated, and still run.
>>
>> My OpenCL runtime is AMDGPU-PRO 20.20. OS Ubuntu 18.04.5 with  Linux Kernel 5.4.53
>>
>> I was wondering if it was a bug or the driver did not implement this "watchdog" mechanism.
> In general, once you issue work on the GPU it has to run to
> completion.  It is not stopped if the application that issued it goes
> away.

If this is using KFD, we destroy user mode queues and free all the
process' memory at process termination. Because we support CWSR, we can
interrupt running shaders. Is this using the legacy OpenCL?

Regards,
  Felix

@ 2021-04-07  9:36   ` Christian König
From: Christian König @ 2021-04-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, Smith John; +Cc: amd-gfx list

Am 01.04.21 um 20:22 schrieb Alex Deucher:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Smith John <ls.cat.kth@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, when I killed an OpenCL host process, the kernels it launched were not terminated, and still run.
>>
>> My OpenCL runtime is AMDGPU-PRO 20.20. OS Ubuntu 18.04.5 with  Linux Kernel 5.4.53
>>
>> I was wondering if it was a bug or the driver did not implement this "watchdog" mechanism.
> In general, once you issue work on the GPU it has to run to
> completion.  It is not stopped if the application that issued it goes
> away.

Well that is not 100% correct.

When the job has already been pushed to the hardware it indeed runs till
the end.

But when the job is still in the scheduler and the process which has
submitted it is killed we also throw away the job.

This obviously only counts for the classic stack and not for the KFD.

Christian.