* [Buildroot] X11
@ 2012-07-16  9:29 Zoran Djordjevic
From: Zoran Djordjevic @ 2012-07-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello
?
I am trying to build XOrg server for ARM based board, using Buildroot .
When starting it, I received error:
FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument;
Fatal server error:Addscreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0- ?and later:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server - no such file or directory
xinit: server error
?
?File /usr/bin/X -exists on my device (ie. at?NFS).
Attached is my Buildroot?.config file and xorg.conf that I created in etc/X11 folder.
Kernel is build independently ie. out of Buildroot.
Any help ?
?
Thanks
From: Charles Krinke @ 2012-07-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Zoran:

A few things to keep in mind. When building a linux kernel, there are
usually modules and they need to be added to the root filesystem. So,
one cannot build the linux kernel independently from the root file
system. Said differently, make sure you perform a "modules_install"
step with the kernel's INSTALL_MOD_PATH=<buildroot>/output/target and
then a make in buildroot after that.

Your errors make me think the framebuffer and input device are unknown
to your Xorg setup, so I would suspect a configuration of X more
quickly then a buildroot issue. For what it is worth, I am about to
embark on a similar journey this morning with an ARM and buildroot
only Qt instead of X.

Charles

--
Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] X11
@ 2012-07-16 15:57 ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2012-07-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Zoran Djordjevic <djdjdjole@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to build XOrg server for ARM based board, using Buildroot .
> When starting it, I received error:
> FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument;
> Fatal server error:Addscreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0-  and later:
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server - no such file or directory
> xinit: server error
>
>  File /usr/bin/X -exists on my device (ie. at NFS).
> Attached is my Buildroot .config file and xorg.conf that I created in
> etc/X11 folder.
> Kernel is build independently ie. out of Buildroot.
> Any help ?

Please try the earlier version from February. I had issues with the
latest git version.

Yegor

* [Buildroot] X11
@ 2012-07-17  6:01   ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2012-07-17  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am 16.07.2012 17:57, schrieb Yegor Yefremov:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Zoran Djordjevic <djdjdjole@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am trying to build XOrg server for ARM based board, using Buildroot .
>> When starting it, I received error:
>> FBDEV(0): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument;
>> Fatal server error:Addscreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0-  and later:
>> xinit: giving up
>> xinit: unable to connect to X server - no such file or directory
>> xinit: server error
>>
>>  File /usr/bin/X -exists on my device (ie. at NFS).
>> Attached is my Buildroot .config file and xorg.conf that I created in
>> etc/X11 folder.
>> Kernel is build independently ie. out of Buildroot.
>> Any help ?
>
> Please try the earlier version from February. I had issues with the
> latest git version.

See this conversation: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap at vger.kernel.org/msg71367.html

Yegor

* [Buildroot] X11
@ 2012-07-17  7:41   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-07-17  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:57:45 +0200,
Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> a ?crit :

> Please try the earlier version from February. I had issues with the
> latest git version.

That's annoying. Can you investigate which package is problematic? Or
even better, test the X.org big bump provided by Will Newton and see if
it improves the situation for you.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] X11
@ 2012-07-17  8:20     ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2012-07-17  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Le Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:57:45 +0200,
> Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> a ?crit :
>
>> Please try the earlier version from February. I had issues with the
>> latest git version.
>
> That's annoying. Can you investigate which package is problematic? Or
> even better, test the X.org big bump provided by Will Newton and see if
> it improves the situation for you.

It's on my todo list, but I wont be able to put my hands on it for a
week or two.

Yegor