* breaking kvm :-)
@ 2007-06-30 21:43 ron minnich
       [not found] ` <13426df10706301443r57243047of1939d7aa39379b8-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: ron minnich @ 2007-06-30 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel

Somebody here at OLS was asking me about linuxbios on kvm. Well, that
was too much to resist.

Short form: it works, uses a grub-like interface that does not use
BIOS callbacks. It's noticeably faster to boot than Bochs. I realize
that it's all pretty fast but linuxbios is 32-bit code, so there is
pretty much no emulation to worry about.

So, if anyone gets annoyed watching bochs boot, I can put a howto on
the linuxbios wiki. It's pretty trivial to set up.

ron

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/

* Re: breaking kvm :-)
       [not found] ` <13426df10706301443r57243047of1939d7aa39379b8-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-07-01  5:29   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2007-07-01  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: kvm-devel

ron minnich wrote:
> Somebody here at OLS was asking me about linuxbios on kvm. Well, that
> was too much to resist.
>
> Short form: it works, uses a grub-like interface that does not use
> BIOS callbacks. It's noticeably faster to boot than Bochs. I realize
> that it's all pretty fast but linuxbios is 32-bit code, so there is
> pretty much no emulation to worry about.
>
> So, if anyone gets annoyed watching bochs boot, I can put a howto on
> the linuxbios wiki. It's pretty trivial to set up.

Please do, I'd like to try it out.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2007-07-02 10:20   ` Arnd Bergmann
       [not found]     ` <200707021220.20753.arnd-r2nGTMty4D4@public.gmane.org>
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2007-07-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Saturday 30 June 2007, ron minnich wrote:
> Somebody here at OLS was asking me about linuxbios on kvm. Well, that
> was too much to resist.
>
> Short form: it works, uses a grub-like interface that does not use
> BIOS callbacks. It's noticeably faster to boot than Bochs. I realize
> that it's all pretty fast but linuxbios is 32-bit code, so there is
> pretty much no emulation to worry about.

Very nice. I'm curious though since I've never used Linuxbios before:
what operating systems can it load? Only Linux, anything that comes
as an ELF image, or even proprietary operating systems?

	Arnd <><

@ 2007-07-02 15:50       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-07-02 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On 7/2/07, Arnd Bergmann <arnd-r2nGTMty4D4@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Very nice. I'm curious though since I've never used Linuxbios before:
> what operating systems can it load? Only Linux, anything that comes
> as an ELF image, or even proprietary operating systems?

pretty soon, anything grub can load. For now, ELF arbitrary elf images.

@ 2007-09-14 19:23   ` Cam Macdonell
       [not found]     ` <46EADF9C.5050909-edFDblaTWIyXbbII50Afww@public.gmane.org>
From: Cam Macdonell @ 2007-09-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: kvm-devel

Hi Ron,

This would be interesting to try, especially if booting is noticeably
faster that bochs.

Did you get that how-to up?

Thanks,
Cam

ron minnich wrote:
> Somebody here at OLS was asking me about linuxbios on kvm. Well, that
> was too much to resist.
>
> Short form: it works, uses a grub-like interface that does not use
> BIOS callbacks. It's noticeably faster to boot than Bochs. I realize
> that it's all pretty fast but linuxbios is 32-bit code, so there is
> pretty much no emulation to worry about.
>
> So, if anyone gets annoyed watching bochs boot, I can put a howto on
> the linuxbios wiki. It's pretty trivial to set up.
>
> ron

* Re: breaking kvm :-)
       [not found]     ` <46EADF9C.5050909-edFDblaTWIyXbbII50Afww@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-09-14 19:31       ` Jorge Lucángeli Obes
From: Jorge Lucángeli Obes @ 2007-09-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: kvm-devel

On 9/14/07, Cam Macdonell <cam-edFDblaTWIyXbbII50Afww@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> This would be interesting to try, especially if booting is noticeably
> faster that bochs.

It would definitely be interesting to try.

Cheers,
Jorge

* Re: breaking kvm :-)
       [not found]     ` <46EADF9C.5050909-edFDblaTWIyXbbII50Afww@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-09-15 15:27       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-15 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cam Macdonell; +Cc: kvm-devel

Ah, I need to get that how-to up, only Anthony tried it and he never
seems to need a HOWTO :-)

thanks, I am glad you are interested, I will test it again and
probably put a HOWTO up at linuxbios.org, which could be cloned at the
kvm web site.

ron