* Identify traffic coming from which bridge
@ 2012-07-26  6:35 Ming-Ching Tiew
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2012-07-26  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Assuming I have a configuration with a few bridges connected to a server.
On the other side of bridge, there are a few clients connected.

Eg  bridge A - client A, B, C
      bridge B - client D, E, F

When a client X is connected to the server, is there a way for the server to
know client X is connected via which bridge ?

Regards

* Re: Identify traffic coming from which bridge
@ 2012-07-28  2:42 ` Ming-Ching Tiew
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2012-07-28  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

From: Ming-Ching Tiew <mctiew@yahoo.com>
To: "netfilter@vger.kernel.org" <netfilter@vger.kernel.org>

> Assuming I have a configuration with a few bridges connected to a server.
> On the other side of bridge, there are a few clients connected.
>
> Eg  bridge A - client A, B, C
>      bridge B - client D, E, F
>
> When a client X is connected to the server, is there a way for the server to
> know client X is connected via which bridge ?

Is there a command or something, give a mac address of a client, I could determine
if the client is connected to which bridge ? Will turning on spanning tree algorithm or

something help ?

Appreciate your comments !

* Re: Identify traffic coming from which bridge
@ 2012-07-28  2:58 ` kay
From: kay @ 2012-07-28  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear Master Yoda =)

You can try to use "--mac-source" match in iptables, combine iptables
with ipset and get the following rules:

ipset create bridge_a_clients src hash:ip
ipset create bridge_b_clients src hash:ip

iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING  --mac-source "BRIDGE_A_MAC" -j SET
--add-set bridge_a_clients src
iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING  --mac-source "BRIDGE_B_MAC" -j SET
--add-set bridge_b_clients src

To view bridge_a_clients use:
ipset bridge_a_clients list

To view bridge_b_clients use:
ipset bridge_b_clients list

This is not optimal solution, but it should help you.

Regards!

@ 2012-07-28  4:15   ` Ming-Ching Tiew
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2012-07-28  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kay, netfilter

First of all thank you for your suggestion.

I did what you suggested, it does not seem to work.

But perhaps I need to clarify :-

1. The iptables/ipset are to be carried on the the server,
    is that right ?
2. The mac addresses of the bridge - I am testing using
    a linux bridge, are you refering to the br0, eth0 or eth1
    mac address ?

In any case when I tested,  it seems to only identify the

bridge itself connecting to the server. Anything from the

clients are not picked up by the iptables/ipset rules.