* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-11-28  1:16 Markus Mayer
From: Markus Mayer @ 2012-11-28  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Pawel,

There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The problem
being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's no reset.c
in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.

[...]
   CC      arch/arm/mach-bcm/board_bcm.o
   LD      arch/arm/mach-bcm/built-in.o
   CC      arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.o',
needed by `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [arch/arm/mach-vexpress] Error 2

The commit in question seems to be this:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=commitdiff;h=38669e045dbf8f62a008898a7fb1e93975b3817c

It adds the reference to reset.o to the makefile, but doesn't add
reset.c itself. That doesn't seem right -- or did I overlook anything
obvious?

As a quick fix, I tried commenting out reset.o in Makefile. While that
lets the compilation proceed, I end up with unresolved symbols at link time.

[...]
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o: In function `v2m_dt_init':
/home/mmayer/Development/upstreaming/arm-soc/arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.c:487:
undefined reference to `vexpress_power_off'
arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o: In function `v2m_init':
/home/mmayer/Development/upstreaming/arm-soc/arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.c:371:
undefined reference to `vexpress_power_off'
arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o:(.arch.info.init+0x48): undefined
reference to `vexpress_restart'
arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o:(.arch.info.init+0x94): undefined
reference to `vexpress_restart'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Regards,
-Markus

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-11-28 12:36 ` Pawel Moll
From: Pawel Moll @ 2012-11-28 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 01:16 +0000, Markus Mayer wrote:
> Hi Pawel,
>
> There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The problem
> being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's no reset.c
> in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.
>
> [...]
>    CC      arch/arm/mach-bcm/board_bcm.o
>    LD      arch/arm/mach-bcm/built-in.o
>    CC      arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.o
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.o',
> needed by `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o'.  Stop.
> make: *** [arch/arm/mach-vexpress] Error 2
>
> The commit in question seems to be this:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=commitdiff;h=38669e045dbf8f62a008898a7fb1e93975b3817c
>
> It adds the reference to reset.o to the makefile, but doesn't add
> reset.c itself. That doesn't seem right -- or did I overlook anything
> obvious?

That's strange... The reset.c comes from the vexpress/drivers branch,
which seems to be merged correctly in the arm-soc:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress;hb=refs/heads/for-next

And it's there in the linux-next head:

https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress

Also the next-20121127 looks good for me:

https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress;h=47f9de5972efaa719c35bb9dce177fbd2954647c;hb=ce2931ab5e448a93fee55d9d82de9f5e754ff6f7

Are you sure you've checked out the correct tag?

Pawe?

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-11-28 20:53   ` Markus Mayer
From: Markus Mayer @ 2012-11-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 12-11-28 04:36 AM, Pawel Moll wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 01:16 +0000, Markus Mayer wrote:
>> Hi Pawel,
>>
>> There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The problem
>> being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's no reset.c
>> in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.
[...]
> That's strange... The reset.c comes from the vexpress/drivers branch,
> which seems to be merged correctly in the arm-soc:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress;hb=refs/heads/for-next
>
> And it's there in the linux-next head:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress
>
> Also the next-20121127 looks good for me:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=tree;f=arch/arm/mach-vexpress;h=47f9de5972efaa719c35bb9dce177fbd2954647c;hb=ce2931ab5e448a93fee55d9d82de9f5e754ff6f7
>
> Are you sure you've checked out the correct tag?

What I did was to clone next/soc. reset.c is not in that -- and that's
the branch that fails to build. I do see that the commit is in for-next,
however.

What I am really concerned about is an arm-soc branch that has commit
8ac49e0485 in it
(http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=commit;h=8ac49e0485bb79223a111b366a3b1f5ec9148729).
That commit seems to be in next/soc as well as for-next. Therefore,
either one might serve my purpose. I am able to build for-next, but
cannot build next/soc due to the above problem.

Is there a quick way to describe the difference between these two
branches? I am okay to use for-next rather than next/soc, but I would
like to know what the difference between the two.

Also, is it okay for one of the two branches to temporarily not build
(as is currently the case with next/soc)?

Thanks,
-Markus

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-11-29 11:39     ` Pawel Moll
From: Pawel Moll @ 2012-11-29 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 20:53 +0000, Markus Mayer wrote:
> What I am really concerned about is an arm-soc branch that has commit
> 8ac49e0485 in it
> (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git;a=commit;h=8ac49e0485bb79223a111b366a3b1f5ec9148729).
> That commit seems to be in next/soc as well as for-next. Therefore,
> either one might serve my purpose. I am able to build for-next, but
> cannot build next/soc due to the above problem.
>
> Is there a quick way to describe the difference between these two
> branches? I am okay to use for-next rather than next/soc, but I would
> like to know what the difference between the two.

Those are questions to Arnd and Olof, really, but _as far as I
understand_ theirs workflow, they keep pull topic branches from
developers into the respective "next" topic branches (ie. both
vexpress/soc and broadcom/soc got into next/soc), then all the topic
branches are merged into general for-next (so both next/soc and
next/drivers - amongst others - are there).

>Also, is it okay for one of the two branches to temporarily not build
> (as is currently the case with next/soc)?

This is a policy question, again for Arnd and Olof. In my case I had a
long series of changes with internal dependencies and they asked me to
break it into topic branches. Maybe I could have done better job with
that, but other approach would have meant merge conflicts.

Pawe?

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-11-29 20:03       ` Markus Mayer
From: Markus Mayer @ 2012-11-29 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 12-11-29 03:39 AM, Pawel Moll wrote:

>> Is there a quick way to describe the difference between these two
>> branches? I am okay to use for-next rather than next/soc, but I would
>> like to know what the difference between the two.
>
> Those are questions to Arnd and Olof [...]

Thanks for your help. I have started a new thread for this topic.

Regards,
-Markus

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-12-13 19:07 ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2012-12-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 11/27/12 20:16, Markus Mayer wrote:
> Hi Pawel,
>
> There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The
> problem being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's
> no reset.c in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.
>
> [...]
>   CC      arch/arm/mach-bcm/board_bcm.o
>   LD      arch/arm/mach-bcm/built-in.o
>   CC      arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.o
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.o',
> needed by `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o'.  Stop.
> make: *** [arch/arm/mach-vexpress] Error 2
Same issue in mainline now too: arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.c is missing.

Behan

--
Behan Webster
behanw at websterwood.com

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-12-14  9:49   ` Pawel Moll
From: Pawel Moll @ 2012-12-14  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 19:07 +0000, Behan Webster wrote:
> On 11/27/12 20:16, Markus Mayer wrote:
> > Hi Pawel,
> >
> > There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The
> > problem being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's
> > no reset.c in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.
> >
> > [...]
> >   CC      arch/arm/mach-bcm/board_bcm.o
> >   LD      arch/arm/mach-bcm/built-in.o
> >   CC      arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.o
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.o',
> > needed by `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o'.  Stop.
> > make: *** [arch/arm/mach-vexpress] Error 2
> Same issue in mainline now too: arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.c is missing.

Yes, I've noticed this myself. It's just that the pull request for the
arm-soc drivers branch went out in the second batch yesterday
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1409413), while the soc one
in the first one. This was a bad decision to split the reset driver from
the main update series, apologies about this.

Pawe?

* vexpress compilation error in next-20121127
@ 2012-12-14 14:47     ` Behan Webster
From: Behan Webster @ 2012-12-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 12/14/12 04:49, Pawel Moll wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 19:07 +0000, Behan Webster wrote:
>> On 11/27/12 20:16, Markus Mayer wrote:
>>> Hi Pawel,
>>>
>>> There seems to be an issue compiling vexpress at this point. The
>>> problem being that vexpress' makefile references reset.o, but there's
>>> no reset.c in arch/arm/mach-vexpress.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>    CC      arch/arm/mach-bcm/board_bcm.o
>>>    LD      arch/arm/mach-bcm/built-in.o
>>>    CC      arch/arm/mach-vexpress/v2m.o
>>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.o',
>>> needed by `arch/arm/mach-vexpress/built-in.o'.  Stop.
>>> make: *** [arch/arm/mach-vexpress] Error 2
>> Same issue in mainline now too: arch/arm/mach-vexpress/reset.c is missing.
> Yes, I've noticed this myself. It's just that the pull request for the
> arm-soc drivers branch went out in the second batch yesterday
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1409413), while the soc one
> in the first one.
I see it now. Thanks!

>   This was a bad decision to split the reset driver from
> the main update series, apologies about this.
No worries. Just making sure the issue didn't go unnoticed.

Thanks again,

Behan

--
Behan Webster