* Need advice to develop some libxl patches
@ 2013-01-31 16:01 Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-01-31 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, Ian Campbell

I tested spice vdagent, spice audio and spice usbredirection with qemu
upstream and xen-unstable manually, is all working.
I'm start to write some patches to have all spice features on xen 4.3.

About vdagent probably no problem.

About spice audio on test I actually set this variable manually:

export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice

I need know how to setup this env variable but for a given hvm domU start.
In other word I need to set this env variable on a per domU basis (if
spiceaudio if setted in cfg).

About usb redirection the qemu parameters to add are similar to this:

device_model_args=["-readconfig","/etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev3","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev3,id=usbredirdev3,bus=ehci.0,debug=3"]

Probably is not good point to external generic file (on my test
/etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg), someone can tell me the best way for do this?

About xl cfg parameters can be good add spiceaudio=0|1 and
spiceusbredirection=0|1 both with default 0?

[-- Attachment #1.2: Firma crittografica S/MIME --]

* Re: Need advice to develop some libxl patches
@ 2013-02-08 11:36 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2013-02-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Fantoni; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell, Stefano Stabellini

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> I tested spice vdagent, spice audio and spice usbredirection with qemu
> upstream and xen-unstable manually, is all working.
> I'm start to write some patches to have all spice features on xen 4.3.
>
> About vdagent probably no problem.
>
> About spice audio on test I actually set this variable manually:
>
> export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice
>
> I need know how to setup this env variable but for a given hvm domU start.
> In other word I need to set this env variable on a per domU basis (if
> spiceaudio if setted in cfg).

Pass it from libxl, after all QEMU is spawned by libxl

> About usb redirection the qemu parameters to add are similar to this:
>
> device_model_args=["-readconfig","/etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev3","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev3,id=usbredirdev3,bus=ehci.0,debug=3"]
>
> Probably is not good point to external generic file (on my test
> /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg), someone can tell me the best way for do this?

Add the paramter list to libxl

> About xl cfg parameters can be good add spiceaudio=0|1 and
> spiceusbredirection=0|1 both with default 0?

Yes, it looks OK to me

* Re: Need advice to develop some libxl patches
@ 2013-02-08 11:50   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-02-08 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Fabio Fantoni

On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 11:36 +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> > I tested spice vdagent, spice audio and spice usbredirection with qemu
> > upstream and xen-unstable manually, is all working.
> > I'm start to write some patches to have all spice features on xen 4.3.
> >
> > About vdagent probably no problem.
> >
> > About spice audio on test I actually set this variable manually:
> >
> > export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice
> >
> > I need know how to setup this env variable but for a given hvm domU start.
> > In other word I need to set this env variable on a per domU basis (if
> > spiceaudio if setted in cfg).
>
> Pass it from libxl, after all QEMU is spawned by libxl

Setting envvars to configure qemu is a pretty crappy interface though,
given that qemu supports both command line and configuration files for
most other stuff. Perhaps this interface should be fixed upstream to use
the standard mechanisms first?

> > About usb redirection the qemu parameters to add are similar to this:
> >
> > device_model_args=["-readconfig","/etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev3","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev3,id=usbredirdev3,bus=ehci.0,debug=3"]
> >
> > Probably is not good point to external generic file (on my test
> > /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg), someone can tell me the best way for do this?

What does /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg contain? Perhaps we might want to
add USB passthrough as a concept in libxl so as to expose this in a more
"libxl" like manner, instead of just cutting through the qemu options?
(I think George also brought this up a while back).

Ian.

* Re: Need advice to develop some libxl patches
@ 2013-02-08 15:13     ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-02-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini

Il 08/02/2013 12:50, Ian Campbell ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 11:36 +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>>> I tested spice vdagent, spice audio and spice usbredirection with qemu
>>> upstream and xen-unstable manually, is all working.
>>> I'm start to write some patches to have all spice features on xen 4.3.
>>>
>>> About vdagent probably no problem.
>>>
>>> About spice audio on test I actually set this variable manually:
>>>
>>> export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice
>>>
>>> I need know how to setup this env variable but for a given hvm domU start.
>>> In other word I need to set this env variable on a per domU basis (if
>>> spiceaudio if setted in cfg).
>> Pass it from libxl, after all QEMU is spawned by libxl
> Setting envvars to configure qemu is a pretty crappy interface though,
> given that qemu supports both command line and configuration files for
> most other stuff. Perhaps this interface should be fixed upstream to use
> the standard mechanisms first?
>>> About usb redirection the qemu parameters to add are similar to this:
>>>
>>> device_model_args=["-readconfig","/etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2,bus=ehci.0,debug=3","-chardev","spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev3","-device","usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev3,id=usbredirdev3,bus=ehci.0,debug=3"]
>>>
>>> Probably is not good point to external generic file (on my test
>>> /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg), someone can tell me the best way for do this?
> What does /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg contain? Perhaps we might want to
> add USB passthrough as a concept in libxl so as to expose this in a more
> "libxl" like manner, instead of just cutting through the qemu options?
> (I think George also brought this up a while back).

The content is here:
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-upstream-unstable.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg;hb=HEAD

Spice usbredir redirects USB devices from client (where spice-client is
launched) to qemu, not from dom0 to qemu.
How to expose it in a more "libxl" like manner?

@ 2013-02-08 15:21       ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-02-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fantonifabio; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini

On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 15:13 +0000, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 08/02/2013 12:50, Ian Campbell ha scritto:

> >> Pass it from libxl, after all QEMU is spawned by libxl
> > Setting envvars to configure qemu is a pretty crappy interface though,
> > given that qemu supports both command line and configuration files for
> > most other stuff. Perhaps this interface should be fixed upstream to use
> > the standard mechanisms first?

> > What does /etc/xen/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg contain? Perhaps we might want to
> > add USB passthrough as a concept in libxl so as to expose this in a more
> > "libxl" like manner, instead of just cutting through the qemu options?
> > (I think George also brought this up a while back).
>
> The content is here:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-upstream-unstable.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg;hb=HEAD
>
> Spice usbredir redirects USB devices from client (where spice-client is
> launched) to qemu, not from dom0 to qemu.
> How to expose it in a more "libxl" like manner?

Perhaps be defining a libxl_device_usb device type and including a list
of those in the domain config struct, like for other devices? We would
likely want to accommodate both emulated and passthrough devices.

Not sure how to handle USB topology though, if possible we should avoid
exposing this to the user and synthesise something suitable within
libxl.

Ian.

* Re: Need advice to develop some libxl patches
@ 2013-02-12 14:37     ` Fabio Fantoni
From: Fabio Fantoni @ 2013-02-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini