* Re: mdraid autodetect partially failing after disk replacement
@ 2013-05-10  4:52 Ricky Burgin
From: Ricky Burgin @ 2013-05-10  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Bingner; +Cc: linux-raid

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that's not the case, that was one of the first things I checked. What variables are considered when adding or excluding drives to or from a raid via autodetection? This problem feels so esoteric that it might just be a bug...

I'll keep on trying!

Ricky

@ 2013-05-10  5:52 ` Tregaron Bayly
From: Tregaron Bayly @ 2013-05-10  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricky Burgin; +Cc: linux-raid

Ricky,

When talking about things that happen before the root device is mounted
you are talking about the initial ramdisk.

I'm not sure on the specifics for what you're running but can we presume
that this is the root filesystem?  If it is we can deduce that an mdadm
binary, mdadm.conf file and some udev rules to assemble the array need
to exist in the initrd/initramfs.  There may also be a script that
directly executes an mdadm incremental or assemble command.  If the
array isn't being properly started then there could be a problem
detecting the disks (driver issue), the mdadm.conf in the ramdisk could
be incorrect (a devices line excluding the disks or something) or for
some reason the udev rule or mdadm command isn't firing.  None of those
seem likely given the sequence of events you talked about in your first
thread on this problem, but we have to focus on what this system is
doing at boot that your rescue environment isn't.

If your system uses dracut then you can use rdshell to poke around at
what is happening when the root filesystem fails to mount.  You can look
at the device nodes that are created, run commands like blkid, and use
mdadm to attempt assembling the array, for instance.  If you manage to
get it assembled you can type 'exit' to continue booting.  This exercise
could possibly shed some light on your problem - helping you understand
what specifically is amiss in your pre-root environment that isn't wrong
when booting another OS (and ramdisk).

Wish I could be more specific, but hopefully this gets you something
more to look at.  I think this is what Neil was hinting at when he
suggested that you might need to create a new initrd - which is what you
would probably end up doing to fix this anyway if you found something
wrong in your initial ramdisk.

Hope this helps,

Tregaron

@ 2013-05-10  4:08 ` Sam Bingner