* RTUdp incoming msg are ok but unable to send UDP
@ 2019-05-27  7:27 Per Oberg
From: Per Oberg @ 2019-05-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi folks

I am having some troubles with UDP and rtnet. I think it used to work, but I'm not sure in what configuration. I had to update to meet some driver demands and now i am using the following versions:

Xenomai 3.0.7
ipipe-core-4.9.90-x86-6
Kernel 4.9.90

When trying to send a UDP message I got a kernel paging request error so I tried adding nosmap to the boot parameters. This solved the kernel paging bug but no messages are coming out.

Does anyone know if there went in some patches to rtudp lately that would fix this?

Any other tips out there ?

Best regards
Per Öberg

* Re: RTUdp incoming msg are ok but unable to send UDP
@ 2019-05-27  8:22 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-05-27  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Oberg, xenomai

On 27.05.19 09:27, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I am having some troubles with UDP and rtnet. I think it used to work, but I'm not sure in what configuration. I had to update to meet some driver demands and now i am using the following versions:
>
> Xenomai 3.0.7
> ipipe-core-4.9.90-x86-6
> Kernel 4.9.90
>

> When trying to send a UDP message I got a kernel paging request error so I tried adding nosmap to the boot parameters. This solved the kernel paging bug but no messages are coming out.
>

> Does anyone know if there went in some patches to rtudp lately that would fix this?
>
> Any other tips out there ?

Can you try if the issue is also present in stable/v3.0.x or master?

Jan

PS: 4.9 is EOL by now.

* Re: RTUdp incoming msg are ok but unable to send UDP
@ 2019-05-27 16:13   ` Per Oberg
From: Per Oberg @ 2019-05-27 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

----- Den 27 maj 2019, på kl 10:22, Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka@siemens.com skrev:

> On 27.05.19 09:27, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi folks

>> I am having some troubles with UDP and rtnet. I think it used to work, but I'm
>> not sure in what configuration. I had to update to meet some driver demands and
> > now i am using the following versions:

> > Xenomai 3.0.7
> > ipipe-core-4.9.90-x86-6
> > Kernel 4.9.90

>> When trying to send a UDP message I got a kernel paging request error so I tried
>> adding nosmap to the boot parameters. This solved the kernel paging bug but no
> > messages are coming out.

>> Does anyone know if there went in some patches to rtudp lately that would fix
> > this?

> > Any other tips out there ?

> Can you try if the issue is also present in stable/v3.0.x or master?

At a first glance it looks like the bug is fixed. However, I couldn't make it work in 3.0.8 because of compilation issues with the kernel. In current master it works however.

> Jan

> PS: 4.9 is EOL by now.

Yes, I've been meaning to upgrade to 4.14, but I got the feeling there was something iffy going on for quite a while?

> --
> Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE

Thanks

@ 2019-05-28  6:45     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-05-28  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Oberg; +Cc: xenomai

On 27.05.19 18:13, Per Oberg wrote:

> ----- Den 27 maj 2019, på kl 10:22, Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka@siemens.com skrev:
>
>> On 27.05.19 09:27, Per Oberg via Xenomai wrote:
>>> Hi folks
>
>>> I am having some troubles with UDP and rtnet. I think it used to work, but I'm
>>> not sure in what configuration. I had to update to meet some driver demands and
>>> now i am using the following versions:
>
>>> Xenomai 3.0.7
>>> ipipe-core-4.9.90-x86-6
>>> Kernel 4.9.90
>

>>> When trying to send a UDP message I got a kernel paging request error so I tried
>>> adding nosmap to the boot parameters. This solved the kernel paging bug but no
>>> messages are coming out.
>

>>> Does anyone know if there went in some patches to rtudp lately that would fix
>>> this?
>
>>> Any other tips out there ?
>

>> Can you try if the issue is also present in stable/v3.0.x or master?
>
> At a first glance it looks like the bug is fixed. However, I couldn't make it work in 3.0.8 because of compilation issues with the kernel. In current master it works however.

Can you share the compilation issues? Either they have been fixed in git, or
they better should be before the next release.

>> Jan
>
>> PS: 4.9 is EOL by now.
>
> Yes, I've been meaning to upgrade to 4.14, but I got the feeling there was something iffy going on for quite a while?

What exactly do you mean?

Jan

* Re: RTUdp incoming msg are ok but unable to send UDP
@ 2019-05-28 11:01       ` Per Oberg
From: Per Oberg @ 2019-05-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

----- Den 28 maj 2019, på kl 8:45, Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka@siemens.com skrev:

> On 27.05.19 18:13, Per Oberg wrote:

> > ----- Den 27 maj 2019, på kl 10:22, Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka@siemens.com skrev:

> >> Can you try if the issue is also present in stable/v3.0.x or master?

>> At a first glance it looks like the bug is fixed. However, I couldn't make it
>> work in 3.0.8 because of compilation issues with the kernel. In current master
> > it works however.

> Can you share the compilation issues? Either they have been fixed in git, or
> they better should be before the next release.

I'm compiling using my own Yocto setup based on meta-xenomai from [1] below. For some reason I couldn't compile the kernel modules because of a missing  rtdm/net.h. I noticed that there was a split in the git tree while back so I guess that's the original culprit.

However, I was never able to figure out if I had some old Xenomai-stuff laying around in the wrong places or if I forgot to update my sdk. Further, I was not able to get the actual compilation environment or see the real "cc commands". Instead of digging around further I decided to check master.

So, either Yocto kept the old kernel source or there is something else broken in 3.0.8 compilation. I haven't been able to tell which is more likely. When I created my own 3.0.8a release files based on master it started working again without cleaning anything else out.

This is one example of the error:
In file included from .../kernel-source/drivers/xenomai/net/stack/include/rtdev.h:37:0,
                 from .../kernel-source/drivers/xenomai/net/stack/include/rtnet_port.h:32,
                 from .../kernel-source/drivers/xenomai/net/drivers/8139too.c:54:
.../kernel-source/drivers/xenomai/net/stack/include/rtskb.h:32:10: fatal error: rtdm/net.h: No such file or directory

> >> Jan

> >> PS: 4.9 is EOL by now.

>> Yes, I've been meaning to upgrade to 4.14, but I got the feeling there was
> > something iffy going on for quite a while?

> What exactly do you mean?

Sorry for being unclear. With iffy I meant that I've been seeing some reports of issues people have had, and I was probably more wrong than right. It's kind of hard to figure out afterwards if issues you only glanced on when they passed the mailing list was ever fixed, only a glitch, or something serious. The bug-reporting system seems a bit under-used =)

Anyway, I was referring to these:
- [4] In my mind it was only yesterday it was released, but time flies.
- [5] with a follow up that it was also for real hardware
- [6] perhaps only amd issue ?
- [7] kvm only issue ?

> Jan

[1] https://bitbucket.org/pficheux/meta-xenomai/src