* Query: Significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c
@ 2013-06-12  6:15 amit mehta
From: amit mehta @ 2013-06-12  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

What is the significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c file. I see there
is a list of vendors mentioned over here.

<snip>
grep -i vendor libmultipath/hwtable.c|uniq
        .vendor        = "COMPELNT",
        .vendor        = "APPLE*",
        .vendor        = "3PARdata",
        .vendor        = "DEC",
        .vendor        = "HP",
        .vendor        = "(COMPAQ|HP)",
        .vendor        = "HP",
        .vendor        = "DDN",
        .vendor        = "EMC",
        .vendor        = "DGC",
        .vendor        = "EMC",
        .vendor        = "FSC",
        .vendor        = "FUJITSU",
        .vendor        = "HITACHI",
        .vendor        = "IBM",
        .vendor        = "IBM",
        .vendor        = "AIX",
        .vendor        = "IBM",
        .vendor        = "AIX",
        .vendor        = "IBM",
        .vendor        = "AIX",
        .vendor        = "DELL",
        .vendor        = "NETAPP",
        .vendor        = "IBM",
        .vendor        = "Pillar",
        .vendor        = "SGI",
        .vendor        = "STK",
        .vendor        = "SUN",
        .vendor        = "PIVOT3",
        .vendor        = "SUN",
        .vendor        = "(LSI|ENGENIO)",
        .vendor        = "STK",
        .vendor        = "EUROLOGC",
        .vendor        = "NEC",
        .vendor        = NULL,
<snip>

Under each of these vendors, there is a list of products from the same
vendor as well. So does that mean, if the vendor and or product is not
mentioned in this file, that particular storage hardware may not be
supported by dm-multipath?

-Amit

* Re: Query: Significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c
@ 2013-06-12 18:15 ` Christophe Varoqui
From: Christophe Varoqui @ 2013-06-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: device-mapper development

On mer., 2013-06-12 at 11:45 +0530, amit mehta wrote:
> What is the significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c file. I see there
> is a list of vendors mentioned over here.
>
> <snip>

It's a database of defaults settings for known devices.
Those settings apply when not overriden by explicit settings in
multipath.conf.

> grep -i vendor libmultipath/hwtable.c|uniq
>         .vendor        = "COMPELNT",
>         .vendor        = "APPLE*",
>         .vendor        = "3PARdata",
>         .vendor        = "DEC",
>         .vendor        = "HP",
>         .vendor        = "(COMPAQ|HP)",
>         .vendor        = "HP",
>         .vendor        = "DDN",
>         .vendor        = "EMC",
>         .vendor        = "DGC",
>         .vendor        = "EMC",
>         .vendor        = "FSC",
>         .vendor        = "FUJITSU",
>         .vendor        = "HITACHI",
>         .vendor        = "IBM",
>         .vendor        = "IBM",
>         .vendor        = "AIX",
>         .vendor        = "IBM",
>         .vendor        = "AIX",
>         .vendor        = "IBM",
>         .vendor        = "AIX",
>         .vendor        = "DELL",
>         .vendor        = "NETAPP",
>         .vendor        = "IBM",
>         .vendor        = "Pillar",
>         .vendor        = "SGI",
>         .vendor        = "STK",
>         .vendor        = "SUN",
>         .vendor        = "PIVOT3",
>         .vendor        = "SUN",
>         .vendor        = "(LSI|ENGENIO)",
>         .vendor        = "STK",
>         .vendor        = "EUROLOGC",
>         .vendor        = "NEC",
>         .vendor        = NULL,
>
> <snip>
>

> Under each of these vendors, there is a list of products from the same
> vendor as well. So does that mean, if the vendor and or product is
> not
> mentioned in this file, that particular storage hardware may not be
> supported by dm-multipath?

It only means that the top-level defaults settings will be applied to
those multipaths.

Best regards,
Christophe Varoqui
www.opensvc.com

* Re: Query: Significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c
@ 2013-06-13  0:57   ` Kumar amit mehta
From: Kumar amit mehta @ 2013-06-13  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christophe.varoqui, device-mapper development

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 08:15:04PM +0200, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
> On mer., 2013-06-12 at 11:45 +0530, amit mehta wrote:
> > What is the significance of libmultipath/hwtable.c file. I see there
> > is a list of vendors mentioned over here.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> It's a database of defaults settings for known devices.
> Those settings apply when not overriden by explicit settings in
> multipath.conf.
>

> > grep -i vendor libmultipath/hwtable.c|uniq
> >         .vendor        = "COMPELNT",
> >         .vendor        = "APPLE*",
> >         .vendor        = "3PARdata",
> >         .vendor        = "DEC",
> >         .vendor        = "HP",
> >         .vendor        = "(COMPAQ|HP)",
> >         .vendor        = "HP",
> >         .vendor        = "DDN",
> >         .vendor        = "EMC",
> >         .vendor        = "DGC",
> >         .vendor        = "EMC",
> >         .vendor        = "FSC",
> >         .vendor        = "FUJITSU",
> >         .vendor        = "HITACHI",
> >         .vendor        = "IBM",
> >         .vendor        = "IBM",
> >         .vendor        = "AIX",
> >         .vendor        = "IBM",
> >         .vendor        = "AIX",
> >         .vendor        = "IBM",
> >         .vendor        = "AIX",
> >         .vendor        = "DELL",
> >         .vendor        = "NETAPP",
> >         .vendor        = "IBM",
> >         .vendor        = "Pillar",
> >         .vendor        = "SGI",
> >         .vendor        = "STK",
> >         .vendor        = "SUN",
> >         .vendor        = "PIVOT3",
> >         .vendor        = "SUN",
> >         .vendor        = "(LSI|ENGENIO)",
> >         .vendor        = "STK",
> >         .vendor        = "EUROLOGC",
> >         .vendor        = "NEC",
> >         .vendor        = NULL,
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > Under each of these vendors, there is a list of products from the same
> > vendor as well. So does that mean, if the vendor and or product is
> > not
> > mentioned in this file, that particular storage hardware may not be
> > supported by dm-multipath?
> >
> It only means that the top-level defaults settings will be applied to
> those multipaths.

Thank you for clearing my doubt.

-Amit